Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Authors > H P Lovecraft

H P Lovecraft Lovecraft, the Cthulhu Mythos, and writers who continued the tradition.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 13th April 2010, 09:44 PM   #31 (permalink)

Re: STJ's complete HPL biography in 2010

Wilum has said a lot of it there. But there is also the fact that Lovecraft's work and his life are inextricably intertwined; to fully understand either, you need to have a good look at both. In many ways, he is the epitome of that approach that a writer isn't writing on book, or a story, or a poem, or even a line at a time, he (or she) is putting a life on paper -- metaphorically, in many cases, but nonetheless doing so -- telling people "this is where I am today, and this is what it looks like"... they are, if they are genuine artists rather than solely simply entertainers -- giving a view of the universe through another's eyes, and thereby enhancing our own experience of life. With Lovecraft, there is so much that informs his fiction, but is not necessarily easily discernible in a shallow reading of it, because to make such overt within the context of the tales themselves would be to distract attention from that "unity of effect" for which he strove in his art. Yet, through knowledge of his letters, the facts of his life, his verse, his essays, etc., all these other aspects come forth and the work itself becomes all the richer for it; one begins to see the incredible layers of complexity and how that fiction genuinely relates to life and an understanding of real human beings, real emotions, real experiences, rather than being only a weaving of a fantastic tale (skillful as it may be).

And, quite frankly, Lovecraft was a fascinating individual, a mind whose like is extremely rare. His life was itself, in many ways, a work of art, one which continued to develop, grow, and put forth strange and beautiful fruit until well after the man was gone. One may disagree with his views; some of them may even be repulsive or offensive... but it is almost impossible to be bored with Lovecraft the man; and a good biography (and this is almost certainly the best that can ever be written... I do not at all think T. E. D. Klein was mistaken when he likened Joshi's biography of Lovecraft to Boswell's Life of Johnson in either skill or importance) provides a rich, albeit somewhat condensed, look into that life, as seen by a truly erudite, informed, and sympathetic (in the original sense of that word) writer of no small skill himself. It is a journey not to be missed....
j. d. worthington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 09:46 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf873 View Post
Ah! I see. Interesting, I am tempted to order the book. This won't be hardcover would it?
Indeed, it will... doing something like this in paperback would almost immediately doom it to disintegration. This is going to be a very sizable pair of volumes, and intended for much usage....
Old 13th April 2010, 10:01 PM   #33 (permalink)

Thank you for that incredible answer, both of you . The only thing that's keeping me back is the price of the volumes, I had planned on getting tons of other books to read over the summer, but I'm not sure what to do here. I will have to make up my mind soon though, 'cause from the looks of it, this book will sell out fast. Will it be printed in limited quantities?
Wolf873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 02:14 AM   #34 (permalink)

Do not hesitate, and order this book. Yet it will be limited. Once it sells out, it will instantly command prices twice or thrice the current amount. But that's not as imprortant in the investment sense as what you're getting between the covers. And their other books, like my personal favorite Collected Essays in five volumes, are just as astoundingly amazing. Quality books. Things to be treasured and read with pleasure and excitement, because you're holding really special volumes.
pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 02:18 AM   #35 (permalink)

If Derrick has any common sense he will keep the book in print in a two volume paperback edition. I am going to insist that he does. Concerning the covers, once more, I suspect that each volume will have its own distinctive cover, perhaps a photo of young Lovecraft in the first and a photo of Lovecraft late in life for Volume II.
w h pugmire, esq. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2010, 02:34 PM   #36 (permalink)
Heretic

I just started off on HP Lovecraft - A Life . Joshi is known as the authority on HPL and if anything he appears determined to prove that in this book. Almost every sentence here is qualified by quotes, sources and opinions/clarifications from the biographer. Not a breezy read and sometimes a wee bit irritating for how much Joshi intrudes into the proceedings (I hear his brisk and enthusiastic voice breaking in each time), but quite interesting so far and I expect it to get a lot more so. Some 80 pages in (of about 650 in all) and we see a Lovecraft on the cusp of adulthood and the things to come.

I hope this isn't hijacking the thread (Perhaps this could be a thread to discuss all the biographies instead of just people speculating on the price and availability of the upcoming one)
ravenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2010, 10:42 AM   #37 (permalink)
Heretic

A little more in, and HPL - A Life is looking to be one of the most engrossing things I've read. Joshi with all his affection gives a very objective and humor-laced appraisal of Lovecraft's character. Given Lovecraft's enthusiasm for conducting flame wars in print, he would have probably loved the Internet, his horrors of ungrammatical language notwithstanding.
ravenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2010, 08:04 PM   #38 (permalink)

S. T. will be swinging over to my pad as soon as I get the signature sheets for The Tangled Muse, which he and I will sign. Having him here, I am determined to do one or two interviews with him on my MrWilum channel. I am open for questions to him.
Old 21st April 2010, 09:09 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenus View Post
[...]his horrors of ungrammatical language notwithstanding.
Ummm... you should see the original version of the William Lumley tale "The Diary of Alonzo Typer", before HPL got hold of it....

Wilum: I must admit that at the moment, I'm drawing a blank (probably due to lack of sleep). But I'll try to come up with something... assuming that he won't be coming by in the next day or so.....
Old 25th April 2010, 03:32 AM   #40 (permalink)

Hippocampus has announced that I Am Providence will be published in August to coincide with HPL's 120th birthday, and that it will be illustrated with photos!!! There is also now a cool cover illustration for The Tindalos Cycle.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: