Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Film & TV > Film > General Film Discussion

General Film Discussion For discussing the silver screen and the DVD.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th March 2010, 12:35 PM   #16 (permalink)
The Wicked Sword Maiden

Re: Alice in Wonderland (2010)

I certainly shan't be watching it either. I've seen the clips advertising the film and that was enough to put me of. It certainly didn't seem like it was meant for children to watch!

Give me the original film anyday.
Rosemary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 01:25 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knivesout View Post
Not looking forward to this: I've been pretty much hating Burton's films progressively more with each new one for a while now. I'll definitely sit this out.
Well I really quite enjoyed Nightmare Before Christmas. I can't say much about his other productions as I haven't gotten around to seeing them yet; perhaps they're more what you are referring to?
GOLLUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 01:27 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosemary View Post
I certainly shan't be watching it either. I've seen the clips advertising the film and that was enough to put me of. It certainly didn't seem like it was meant for children to watch!

Give me the original film anyday.
Wow! Strong views Rosie. Remind me not to take you along then despite the free popcorn and plush crocodile on offer.....
Old 4th March 2010, 01:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
The Wicked Sword Maiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLLUM View Post
Wow! Strong views Rosie. Remind me not to take you along then despite the free popcorn and plush crocodile on offer.....
I don't think you will need reminding, with such a retentive brain Precioussss.

I think I can live without the free popcorn and I already have a plush crocodile!
Rosemary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 01:38 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosemary View Post
I think I can live without the free popcorn and I already have a plush crocodile!
Hey so do I! Will wonders never cease?.....
Old 4th March 2010, 01:42 PM   #21 (permalink)
Knivesout no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLLUM View Post
Well I really quite enjoyed Nightmare Before Christmas. I can't say much about his other productions as I haven't gotten around to seeing them yet; perhaps they're more what you are referring to?
I hated what he did with Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, and was not overly thrilled with Sweeney Todd either. His older stuff has its merits but by and large I see him as someone who has descended into being a grotesque caricature of himself.
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 02:16 PM   #22 (permalink)

I'm already sold on this film, Stephen Fry as the Chesire Cat is a winning formula in my book. Bonham-Carter, from what I've seen of the clips, will be enthralling as the Queen of Hearts.

Hell, even Anne Hathaway's White Queen carries subtley disturbing undertones. Can't wait to see it.
Severus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 02:40 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knivesout View Post
I hated what he did with Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, and was not overly thrilled with Sweeney Todd either. His older stuff has its merits but by and large I see him as someone who has descended into being a grotesque caricature of himself.
Well I thought Chocolate Factory was fairly crap, Sweeneyy Todd never appealed w.r.t trailers/promos so never went to see but I still liked Nightmare Before Christmas. Perhaps I'll stick to that one memory and move on to other pastures, it may serve me well enough by the sounds of it...
Old 4th March 2010, 03:16 PM   #24 (permalink)
Author

No doubt my wife will drag me to this. I'm trying to keep an open mind about it...
Jon Sprunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 03:25 PM   #25 (permalink)
Fides, Spero Fidelitasque

Going this Saturday with family and one of son's friends.

I'm hoping it will be entertaining enough to keep the 2 boys interested, otherwise it could be a painful 2 hours!

Wife will be happy enough as Mr Depp is in it
Shadow Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2010, 12:58 AM   #26 (permalink)

I uh... honestly think Carroll is too much for Burton to handle. Really, he should aim low and keep going with movies like NBC or Corpse Bride. In that department, he's excellent. Little girls here are still buying purses with the skeleton's face on 'em.
poisonoustea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2010, 01:38 AM   #27 (permalink)
Prehistoric Irish Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisonoustea View Post
I uh... honestly think Carroll is too much for Burton to handle. Really, he should aim low and keep going with movies like NBC or Corpse Bride. In that department, he's excellent. Little girls here are still buying purses with the skeleton's face on 'em.
My 12 year old granddaughter's favorite sweatshirt features Jack Skellington. She & her Dad, my younger son, are on their way to Hollywood right now to see Alice In Wonderland on one of the big screens in town. I'll see if she adds to her wardrobe as a result.
clovis-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2010, 01:51 AM   #28 (permalink)

I can easily see the grinning Cheshire Cat filling Skellington's spot. I can bet I'll see something around soon.

*ahem* I think I should stop with the vitriol. Actually, I liked Edward Scissorhands when I was 15.
poisonoustea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2010, 03:13 AM   #29 (permalink)

I thought Corpse Bride,Sweeney Todd was wonderful,different films. A good antitode against the cliche infested hollywood films of today.

I will see this because its Burton,Depp, i dont care which classic story he is using for his films.
Connavar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 10:50 PM   #30 (permalink)
Wherever I Am, I'm There

A big thumbs down from me, I'm afraid. It wasn't Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. It wasn't even a combination of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Alice through the Looking Glass but a completely different story about a grown-up Alice. It seems Tim Burton never liked the book, so he discarded most of it. Parts of it were actually cringe-worthy. I'd say it was the largest waste of talent I've ever seen. The latter half of the film becomes a cgi battle against the Jabberwocky creature, similar to any number of recent films, including all the Shrek films. And turning Alice into a "colonialist entrepreneur" at the end of the film is weird even for Burton.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: