Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Authors > Robin Hobb

Robin Hobb The writing and novels of Robin Hobb for discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st June 2009, 07:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Writing

Dragon Keeper

I see that Dragon Keeper is set for a June 25 release in the UK? and not until Jan 2010 in Canada. I should order it accross the ocean.

Here is the blurb from Amazon

Return to the world of the Liveships Traders and journey along the Rain Wild River in this standalone adventure from the author of the internationally acclaimed Farseer trilogy. Guided by the great blue dragon Tintaglia, they came from the sea: a Tangle of serpents fighting their way up the Rain Wilds River, the first to make the perilous journey to the cocooning grounds in generations. Many have died along the way. With its acid waters and impenetrable forest, it is a hard place for any to survive. People are changed by the Rain Wilds, subtly or otherwise. One such is Thymara. Born with black claws and other aberrations, she should have been exposed at birth. But her father saved her and her mother has never forgiven him. Like everyone else, Thymara is fascinated by the return of dragons: it is as if they symbolise the return of hope to their war-torn world. Leftrin, captain of the liveship Tarman, also has an interest in the hatching; as does Bingtown newlywed, Alise Finbok, who has made it her life's work to study all there is to know of dragons. But the creatures which emerge from the cocoons are a travesty of the powerful, shining dragons of old. Stunted and deformed, they cannot fly; some seem witless and bestial. Soon, they become a danger and a burden to the Rain Wilders: something must be done. The dragons claim an ancestral memory of a fabled Elderling city far upriver: perhaps there the dragons will find their true home. But Kelsingra appears on no maps and they cannot get there on their own: a band of dragon keepers, hunters and chroniclers must attend them. To be a dragon keeper is a dangerous job: their charges are vicious and unpredictable, and there are many unknown perils on the journey to a city which may not even exist...
ratsy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2009, 09:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
roar

Re: Dragon Keeper

Ooh sounds quite good, although I don't like Tintaglia. Didn't know about this, thanks for the info!
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2009, 10:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Direwolf of the chrons

Yay!
so soon so soon!
and it sounds like a good story line as well - interesting timing too since it seems to happen at the same time as the last story of Fitz - so chances are that Tintaglia won't always be around to be -- well Tintaglia.
Be interesting to see how far the story goes in time - I always did think that the first tangle dragons would bond more to the rainwailders than to Tintaglia (or rather that she would reject them) because of their stunted growth - I wonder could they end up with two separate populations of dragon - the first Tangle ones and then the more healthy firstborn of teh two dragons after events in Fools Fate?
Overread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2009, 11:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Writing

I originally heard that this book was split in two because of its length...I wonder if it still is two parts
Old 1st June 2009, 11:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Direwolf of the chrons

hmm amazon lists it as a single book and its also listed with the subtitle Rain Wild Chronicles. So that tells me we might see more books in the future - but I think on a "When Hobb is ready" basis rather than a "publisher wants more" one.
Overread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 12:12 AM   #6 (permalink)

Video trailer for The Dragon Keeper!

YouTube - Sabotageanddialogue's Channel
greylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2009, 12:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

its out in Australia already too... i'm guessing it had the same June 25th release date here as the UK...
devilsgrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2009, 06:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
Fool

It's out in Australia?! Hooray!
Hilarious Joke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2009, 02:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Writing

I am from Canada and we arent supposed to get it until January...that is why I just ordered it from the UK amazon site...I love this global world we live in.
Old 7th July 2009, 08:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

Got it, read it, waiting for the next one ............I'll say no more!!!!
Beloved Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009, 08:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
roar

I'm still wading through Renegade's Magic. Won't buy Dragon Keeper until I've finished or I might get distracted...
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2009, 07:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Writing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beloved Fan View Post
Got it, read it, waiting for the next one ............I'll say no more!!!!
That was quick..I still am waiting for Royal Mail to send it to Canada and too my door...I will then proceed to devour the book as soon as I see it
Old 20th July 2009, 03:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
Writing

Once again Robin Hobb has come out with a great book. I can't wait for the next one to come out! Lucky for me I only discovered Hobb last year so I had a whole whack of books to read...now I am totally caught up and am left wanting more...Oh well...on to the next one.
Old 20th July 2009, 10:12 PM   #14 (permalink)

Hey, just wondering, was it linked to the liveship/assassins/tawnyman trilogy much, i know Tintanglia's in it, but is there any other characters from the previous ones?
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 10:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
Writing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
Hey, just wondering, was it linked to the liveship/assassins/tawnyman trilogy much, i know Tintanglia's in it, but is there any other characters from the previous ones?
Possible Spoiler

Just a few characters are briefly in it...Paragon, Althea and Brashen Trell, Malta. Not major characters...just cameos

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: