Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Publishers & Industry > Publishing

Publishing Questions and answers about the publishing industry, featuring answers from literary agents, publisher writers, and editors.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12th May 2009, 03:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Writing a story, and have some questions about publishing

I live in the US and have been writing a story for quite a few months now. I like it and other peers have liked it, but I'm just worried about the length. I had planned on making the story a 4-5 series. However, I don't know if I should merge some stories together. I'm maybe three quarters of the way done with the first story, but it's only 53k words. At the most I may end up with 70k-75k words and from what I've heard, that's not really enough. I don't really know where to add more into my story. I was just wondering if there was a series of 4-5 all 70k-75k long, would it really sell and would publishers really take it?

I'm only 19 and this writing is not the profession I planned to go into. If it could work, however, I would love to because I've always had a passion for writing. I love to just write for fun.
Trenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 04:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mod of Awesome

Re: Writing a story, and have some questions about publishing

Why don't you finish writing it and then worry about publishing? Trust me, finishing something is the first and hardest part of writing.

If you have 4-5 books of 70k words, you have two novels of 140k words. Which is way more publishable in sf/f.
dustinzgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: