Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Film & TV > Film > General Film Discussion

General Film Discussion For discussing the silver screen and the DVD.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th May 2009, 09:29 AM   #31 (permalink)
Goblin Princess

Re: Worst Actor

I do think it's possible that sometimes we blame the actor when it was actually the directing that was abominable.
Teresa Edgerton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 12:13 PM   #32 (permalink)
Prehistoric Irish Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa Edgerton View Post
I do think it's possible that sometimes we blame the actor when it was actually the directing that was abominable.
And that may very well account for this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by biodroid View Post
Kevin Spacey (he is definitely no Lex Luthor)
It was time to give up on the Superman movies about the time that Richard Pryor appeared.
clovis-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 12:54 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by biodroid View Post
Worst male actors:

Any Rap/Hip-Hop/R&B artist turned actor

Whilst I would normally agree with this, there are exceptions

.Tupac Shakur turned in a rather good performance next to Tim Roth in Gridlock'd (not the greatest movie, but it did show the guy had an ability to act.) And Mos Def in 16 blocks I thought was very good.

All of the other rappers and what not who think they can act, though. Most are terrible, and really shouldn't give up their day jobs.

Also....Kevin Spacey?

One bad film doesn't make him a bad actor, try watching many of his good movies, like Seven, The Usual Suspects or K-Pax and tell me the guy can't act.
Duchessprozac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 01:06 PM   #34 (permalink)
Fides, Spero Fidelitasque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchessprozac View Post
Also....Kevin Spacey?

One bad film doesn't make him a bad actor, try watching many of his good movies, like Seven, The Usual Suspects or K-Pax and tell me the guy can't act.
Totally agree with you and clovis-man on that one Duchess. American Beauty was another film where he showed his skills.
Shadow Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 01:38 PM   #35 (permalink)
|-O-| (-O-) |-O-|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Trooper View Post
Totally agree with you and clovis-man on that one Duchess. American Beauty was another film where he showed his skills.
Swimming with sharks was excellent as well.
Rodders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 01:39 PM   #36 (permalink)

Arguably, those actors who only seem to know one character and do it (albeit very well) throughout their careers. Clint Eastwood and Jack Nichleson come to mind...
Fried Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 02:09 PM   #37 (permalink)
|-O-| (-O-) |-O-|

Just out of curiousity, has anyone here tried to act? Even badly, It's not as easy as people might think.
Rodders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 03:53 PM   #38 (permalink)
Prehistoric Irish Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodders View Post
Just out of curiousity, has anyone here tried to act? Even badly, It's not as easy as people might think.
Good point. Has anyone seen the old PBS film, Who Am I This Time? It's about people trying to act in a community play. Featuring Susan Sarandon and Christopher Walken, it provides some unexpected insights. Highly recommended (by me, at least).
clovis-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 04:13 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:

All the world's a stage Rodders! - William Shakespeare (well, without the Rodders bit).
Old 11th May 2009, 06:48 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
by Rodders
I resemble that remark!! I can act really, really bady, without any effort at all, it's just a natural skill I have.....

OHMIGOD........Queen Latifah!!!! She's better then me at acting badly, and she gets paid for it!! Where's my agent??
Boneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 07:14 PM   #41 (permalink)

...When I think of bad actors, (an ever present thought as I toil in the d'tat mines of Kweng Ling Mai), my thoughts are drawn inexorably to the 1970s... I see Blake's 7, Dr Who, Terry and June and Different Strokes (though I think that might have made it into the 1980s).

Now back to mining d'tat.. (isn't it annoying that the mined essence of SFF is always something like d'tat?)
Urien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 10:27 PM   #42 (permalink)
nj1
monkey is magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urien View Post
...When I think of bad actors, (an ever present thought as I toil in the d'tat mines of Kweng Ling Mai), my thoughts are drawn inexorably to the 1970s... I see Blake's 7, Dr Who, Terry and June and Different Strokes (though I think that might have made it into the 1980s).

Now back to mining d'tat.. (isn't it annoying that the mined essence of SFF is always something like d'tat?)

Wot you talking about Urien!

Sorry couldn't resist
nj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 06:42 AM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneman View Post
OHMIGOD........Queen Latifah!!!! She's better then me at acting badly, and she gets paid for it!! Where's my agent??
Hmmm. I think Queen Latifah is a good comedian, and she was excellent in "Chicago" where she had a serious role. Why do you say she acts badly?
kythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 09:25 AM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kythe View Post
Hmmm. I think Queen Latifah is a good comedian, and she was excellent in "Chicago" where she had a serious role. Why do you say she acts badly?

I'd have to agree with Boneman in regards to Queen Latifah.

Although I have not seen Chicago (or I'm sure all of the films she has had parts in), she very much has a 'guest star' quality rather than a true acting ability (IMO).

To try and explain what I mean by guest star quality, think back to comedy shows (Morecombe and Wise etc) who had guest stars on. The star would obviously be great in their own professional field, but would always seem either a little unsure or just be over the top in a different area of entertainment.

Not their fault, their main profession is something else, not acting. I believe this is where Queen Latifah sits. Of course some people are able to cross different entertainment zones (Will Smith has had acclaim for both his early music, then TV, then Films).
Old 12th May 2009, 10:33 AM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
I have, and no, it ain't easy. But then luckily it's not my job to do the acting, it's the actor's! I strongly disagree with people who name Daniel Day Lewis and the likes as worst actors... Everyone will have a dud once in a while, and you also have to differ between not liking an actor's style and actual bad acting. Case in point, Liam Neeson (wonderful, if you ask me. Wooden, if you ask others!). I do like the perspecitve of the OP, who really isn't that much of an actor compared to his peers, but keeps being given tasty roles? I think Keanu fits this like a glove - I like Keanu (same with Nicolas Cage), but I can't say he's all that good at acting...
Jimmy Magnusson is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: