Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > General > Feedback

Feedback Raise questions, queries, bug reports, comments, general member feedback here, please. :)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th May 2009, 01:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Edit Help

I started a thread in General Book forum called Top 3 SF/F and worked pretty hard at imputing it all into Excel, so I could keep the top post edited and give people some feedback on their submissions.

Apparently I can't edit it though and posting will just get lost further down the thread. I think it would be invaluable to get a solid ranking of what people appreciate in these forums given the vast knowledge here. Is there anyway you can open up edits on just the top post? Lets work something out!

I can imbed a google dock, or even if you would just let me post the link to the google dock that would work too, and I can edit that from google docs without having to re-edit the thread.
bloggeratf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2009, 06:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Fortiter et recte!

Re: Edit Help

You can edit a post immediately after posting, and it won't show as an edit - and you can still edit up to about 15 minutes later, and it will put up an "Edited by..." tag at the bottom of the post. What you can't do is edit it at all after that - that's the way the forum software is set up, the way that Admin wants it, and I'm afraid there's nothing you can do about it.

Posting in the thread brings it to the top of the pile immediately, though - if people are interested enough in the subject, or if you post a summary entry occasionally, that will be enough to keep it from sinking. You could also add a tag or two (more specific than just "help", though) to the thread, so that a keyword search brings it up.

Sorry not to be of more help - but some things you've just got to live with...
pyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2009, 12:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Brian G. Turner

The way forums work is that threads progress with each additional post, with members looking to the last post for an update on the topic in question.

If we had a situation where the first post in a thread continually changed, then this can become very confusing for other members, in having to look at last and first posts to understand what's going on.

We have already compiled lists of favourite books in the past, where the original post did change, but these days it would be better to just keep individual threads progress.

Hope that helps.
I, Brian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2009, 03:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Iago with a Blackberry

A irrelevant point, but the edit button lasts for an hour. If you edit a post within ten minutes after posting, you can do so without getting the "last edited by..." etc at the bottom of the post.
HoopyFrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2009, 04:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by I, Brian View Post
The way forums work is that threads progress with each additional post, with members looking to the last post for an update on the topic in question.

If we had a situation where the first post in a thread continually changed, then this can become very confusing for other members, in having to look at last and first posts to understand what's going on.

We have already compiled lists of favourite books in the past, where the original post did change, but these days it would be better to just keep individual threads progress.

Hope that helps.

That helps a lot actually. I didn't think of it like that. If everyone in these forums is used to looking at the last couple posts for updates then it shouldn't matter. Thanks for the feedback.
bloggeratf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
omg help

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: