Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Publishers & Industry > Publishing

Publishing Questions and answers about the publishing industry, featuring answers from literary agents, publisher writers, and editors.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 13th February 2009, 05:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
www.mikerevell.com

First Publication Rights

If I post work on a website such as this one, it will obviously mean I can't send it to magazines who want first publishing rights ... but how far does it extend?

If I write a story, post it up online, then change it (and add in, say, 1000 more words) so that it's an entirely different beast -- are the rights still given up? Will magazines still not want any part of it?
MJRevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 08:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
still alive

Re: First Publication Rights

as far as i'm aware, it depends on how much of any given story you post for critique here/elsewhere, just as the Critiques FAQ makes careful note of. i would certainly not wish to post an entire story up here.
Chronicles doesn't lay claim to any publication rights either, but as you rightly point out, most markets won't look favourably on a story that is already freely available online.
if you're posting a very rough first draft, and the story changes quite substantially on its way to a finished form, then there shouldn't - theoretically - be a problem in posting excerpts here (or on the passworded AbsoluteWrite forums, for example).

my 2p.
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 08:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Re: First Publication Rights

If the site is password protected then you have no problem
Tirellan is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: