Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Film & TV > Featured Films > Star Wars

Star Wars The Star Wars movies: original trilogy and new prelude trilogy.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th October 2010, 09:45 PM   #16 (permalink)

Re: A-Wings worst spaceship ever created?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaddeus6th View Post
Haha, I really disliked A-wings when I played X-Wing Vs TIE Fighter aaaaages ago.

It lacks any sense of style. Interceptors are far cooler.
Sure, it's design is simple. But it's far more interesting than the vehicles we have today, is it not? I would really love to have access to those vehicles.
Even the A-Wing is a far more interesting machine than the average car.
Darth Infinitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 09:12 AM   #17 (permalink)
|-O-| (-O-) |-O-|

In fairness, the PT Jedi Starfighters were also a bit pants. Besides, different fighters for different missions.
Rodders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 02:35 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by petethepirate View Post
anyone used to play some star wars battlefront 2?
that x-wing was best on that. a wing was crap.
When I play(ed), I always went with the Empire. I guess I have a dark streak in me.

The A-wings were a pain because they were so darned fast, you needed an interceptor and lock-on missiles to take them out.

One of my biggest problems with ROTJ was how the bad guys didn't appear to score even one kill in the dog fight or land battle. Here's the greatest Empire the Galaxy has ever known and they get p'wned without even putting up a fight. Seriously, a one-man fighter hits the bridge and takes out the largest capital ship in the Imperial Navy. Hello? Auxilliary control anyone? (and yes, Piet was one of my favorite characters so it's a little personal).

In the original Star Wars, at least I had a feeling the Empire was bad-arse and somewhat capable. By the end of Jedi, they had more a keystone cops feel.
Captain Campion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 09:14 AM   #19 (permalink)
Sunset colored eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Campion View Post
In the original Star Wars, at least I had a feeling the Empire was bad-arse and somewhat capable. By the end of Jedi, they had more a keystone cops feel.
I have to agree. Even Vader didn't flaunt as powerful a stage presence as he did in The Empire Strikes Back. But I'll excuse them, on the grounds that they just lost the will to fight. The Empire was a stagnant beast, grown complacent, and arrogant, after choosing quantity over quality in the areas of trooper training, and super weapon design.

After the first, more heavily secured, Death Star was destroyed, they should have known not to build a second, and then give away the plans to it on purpose. Palpatine could have at least falsified those plans before giving them to the opposition.
C Of K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 03:00 PM   #20 (permalink)
|-O-| (-O-) |-O-|

I can't believe that a galaxy spanning empire can decay that quickly. What was it, 30 years? The Roman Empire lasted a lot longer than that.

As for the A Wing, it's a fighter that's fit for purpose. Keeping up with the Ties is all it needs to be able to do.
Old 13th December 2010, 08:09 PM   #21 (permalink)
Science fiction fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Of K View Post
I have to agree. Even Vader didn't flaunt as powerful a stage presence as he did in The Empire Strikes Back. But I'll excuse them, on the grounds that they just lost the will to fight. The Empire was a stagnant beast, grown complacent, and arrogant, after choosing quantity over quality in the areas of trooper training, and super weapon design.

After the first, more heavily secured, Death Star was destroyed, they should have known not to build a second, and then give away the plans to it on purpose. Palpatine could have at least falsified those plans before giving them to the opposition.
I agree with you totally on the falsified plans. let's say I invented a cloaking device for a hypersonic fighter I invented. I for sure wouldn't give the plans to terrorists for any reason. I don't think I'd even give them falsified plans. Saying the A-Wing fighter is the ship ever is like saying that the B2 Spirit is the worst plane ever and than comparing it to the F22 Raptor. The planes I named have entirely different roles. The samething applies to the A Wing Fighter.
Deathpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 03:51 PM   #22 (permalink)

In the X Wing game the A-Wing was fantastic, could turn inside a TIE and easily catch up with those pesky bombers that slipped through the net. Sure it's firepower was lacking and the shields weren't great but that didn't matter because nothing could hit you.
Null_Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011, 04:10 AM   #23 (permalink)
Science fiction fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Campion View Post
When I play(ed), I always went with the Empire. I guess I have a dark streak in me.

The A-wings were a pain because they were so darned fast, you needed an interceptor and lock-on missiles to take them out.

One of my biggest problems with ROTJ was how the bad guys didn't appear to score even one kill in the dog fight or land battle. Here's the greatest Empire the Galaxy has ever known and they get p'wned without even putting up a fight. Seriously, a one-man fighter hits the bridge and takes out the largest capital ship in the Imperial Navy. Hello? Auxilliary control anyone? (and yes, Piet was one of my favorite characters so it's a little personal).

What happened is the ship's bridge deflector shield had been destroyed first. Then it was ramed fromt he front. I believe the force of the blast caused it then crash in the Deathstar.
Deathpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 07:37 PM   #24 (permalink)

The B-Wing is a pretty Ugly ship! But i'd say the Y-Wing which is a bomber was fairly useless in the Death Star Assualt. Everyone loves the X-wing! I love the Star Destoryers!
Azzagorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2011, 05:18 AM   #25 (permalink)
Sith Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Of K View Post
Yeah I always thought that was really stupid. They should have finished the new improved Death Star, then released falsified plans for a trap.
THX-1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2011, 09:53 AM   #26 (permalink)
|-O-| (-O-) |-O-|

To be fair to the A-Wing, even we have made some of our fighter planes with the same brief. F104 Starfighter anyone?
Old 19th December 2011, 01:11 PM   #27 (permalink)
Thomas M. Grimes

"Catch a falling Starfighter
Put it in the pocket of your jeans
You can use it a cigarette lighter
Or as an opener for a can of beans"

That's a real song by the way, I didn't just make that up
TheTomG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 02:59 AM   #28 (permalink)
Run VT Erroll!

Why exactly did they have to name all their fighters after letters of the alphabet? And why skip from B to X? C might have been a bit tricky, but I could think of some great designes for an E-Wing.
paranoid marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 03:21 AM   #29 (permalink)
Keep Moving Forward!

There are E-Wings in the Expanded Universe: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/E-wing
Culhwch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 08:34 AM   #30 (permalink)
|-O-| (-O-) |-O-|

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid marvin View Post
Why exactly did they have to name all their fighters after letters of the alphabet? And why skip from B to X? C might have been a bit tricky, but I could think of some great designes for an E-Wing.
It's just a theme. I really hate the fact that in the Expanded Universe (EU) they're still flying X-Wings some 20 years after the end of the Empire. Weren't those things supposed to be old at the time of A New Hope? You'd think that a Galaxy spanning civilisation on the brink of constant war would have more flare in their starship design. Honestly, it's like Porsche in a Galaxy far, far away.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: