Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Authors > Jim Butcher

Jim Butcher The Dresden Files books and TV show, Furies Novels, and other writings.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st April 2009, 04:06 PM   #46 (permalink)
There can be only one!!

Re: Wild speculation thread* Possible spoilers*

I had meant to point out that Murphy had kicked Harry's butt on several occasions. =)
Highlander II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 05:48 PM   #47 (permalink)
Druid Trainer

Sorry, should have specified, that was more of a question for The44.

I don't think he's saying that a man will win because he's a man but that is kind of what it was sounding like and I was just curious if that is what he really thought .
Saeltari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 06:13 PM   #48 (permalink)
Let God sort 'em out

All of my comments apply to a man with comparable training. Harry is a wimp when it comes to physical combat.

Yes, a man will always win over a woman because he is stronger pound for pound than any woman.

Karrin Murphy is about 5 feet tall maybe plus an inch. Her weight is likely no more than 110 to 115 pounds. Harry was being polite to not punch her lights out. However, her aikido training makes her very dangerous to an unskilled opponent.

If Karrin were to go up against a man of comparable weight in a full contact dojo, she would have her *** handed to her almost all of the time, assuming comparable skill levels.

When it comes to swords, strength and size matter. This is why I have stated that Amoracchius is totally unsuited for anyone of her size and weight. The katana, Fidlelacchius is more suited to a hit and run style which is about the only style that would give her the only chance to survive.

Actually, a bo would be a better weapon for a woman. It is a common weapon used in martial arts and is very effective against swords. Hence, my earlier reference to the Naginata.

Give Karrin a sword and ask her to fight a 150 to 200 pound man who knows how to use a sword, and she is dead every time.

Show me where a woman of comparable weight wins in wrestling, boxing, or martial arts. They do not. I am speaking of full contact and not that point system of getting a touch.
The44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 06:20 PM   #49 (permalink)
Druid Trainer

You are also assuming similiar skill levels which I didn't catch before, I thought you were just saying she would lose because she was a woman.

But, saying that with similiar skill levels that the weight and power advantage a man would normally have, factors in, makes sense.
Old 3rd April 2009, 01:30 AM   #50 (permalink)
Let God sort 'em out

Yes, and that is a very important distincion. I watched a 12 year old Japanese girl who was a black belt in Aikido. She was considered to be very dangerous by her sensei. I agree wiht him. She is very young to have good control of her skills. She was also only dangerous to a person who is unskilled in martial arts.

Yes, training matters, a lot. Most fantasy writers tend to way overestiimate the skill and strength and survivability of a female protagonist in a melee battle. In real life, they die, a lot.

I do not know JB's opinion about women in combat, but I believe that is totally wrong. Robert A. Heinlein stated it best. "Any society that does not say women and children first is doomed".
Old 5th April 2009, 09:11 AM   #51 (permalink)
Druid Trainer

What if the lady that was in Harry's head now is actually in Mouse's head?
Old 5th April 2009, 10:27 PM   #52 (permalink)
Let God sort 'em out

While there was a lot of physical contact between Harry and Mouse, I do not think that the fragment of Lasciel could transfer herself to another being. Especially if that being was non-human. I wonder if there is still a fragment left of the fragment, however. Others think that she is totally gone and only some capabilities on the guitar were left. I am not yet, so sure.

If JB pursues this any further that will give me a clue that she is not completely gone. Failure to ever bring it up again will be further evidence that the fragment is completely gone.
Old 6th April 2009, 04:40 AM   #53 (permalink)
There can be only one!!

Lasciel couldn't transfer to Mouse anyway w/o Mouse having touched the coin. As far as we're aware, he never did.

And don't you think he would've spoken up by now if he had? XD
Highlander II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 04:59 AM   #54 (permalink)
Druid Trainer

Not sure, I was just thinking there is more to Mouse than meets the eye. I think he has more of a role to play and was wondering what it could be...
Old 6th April 2009, 05:36 AM   #55 (permalink)
Holy Knight

We know Mouse is special he's a temple dog...who was supposed to go back to the monks when he was a pup. BUT...he chose to stow away in the Blue Beetle when his family went back. It may be another one of the "destiny things" that keep raising their heads.
thepaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 09:17 PM   #56 (permalink)
Let God sort 'em out

Yep, a 200 pound "mouise" is not one to mess with. He is very durable. He has suffered bumps and bruises that would have incapacited if not killed and recovered very quickly. Yes, special, indeed. Yes, it was fatum indeed.
Old 15th April 2009, 09:00 PM   #57 (permalink)
Let God sort 'em out

This a post having read TurnCoat. I think that Harry will learn more about the use of soul power. The skinwalker indicated that Harry's present level of skill was liimited by his lack of faith.

I also expect to see some forward movement about the disposition of the swords in Harry's care. I think one of them will be given out in the next book. If it is anyone we already know, then I pick Fidelacchius for Karrin. It it is someone new, then no clue, obviously.
Old 16th July 2009, 09:13 PM   #58 (permalink)
Dark Lord

Just a point to the 44, martial arts are not about strength, they are about subtelty. I refer to the story of the founder of Akido a very small Japanese gentleman who accidentally (well maybe) insulted a Japanese naval officer and master of martial arts. He was challanged to a duel, the officer was allowed a boken by the founder of akido.

The duel ended twelve hours later with an exahusted naval officer unable to continue due to complete exhaustion, he never once laid a finger on this man.

Akido is about using a larger opponents speed and strength against them. Trust me size is totally irrelevant. As to sword play I seem to remmber one of the holders of the swords wasnt much bigger than Murphy. Smaller fighters use speed and cunning, getting under a larger opponents reach. Plus let s not forget that if Karin takes up the sword she will have help.

I am still convinced of my uber theory. Only the strong will survive or not
Ice fyre is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: