Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Authors > Robin Hobb

Robin Hobb The writing and novels of Robin Hobb for discussion.

View Poll Results: Favorite Hobb Character
Nevare 0 0%
Fitz 6 27.27%
The Fool (or whatever you want to call him/her) 9 40.91%
Burrich 6 27.27%
Althea 0 0%
Kettricken 0 0%
Verity 1 4.55%
Dutiful 0 0%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th January 2009, 11:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Writing

Favorite Character Poll

Just wondering which Character of Hobb's is everyone's favorite?

(I left out Nighteyes because I knew everyone would pick him)
ratsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2009, 11:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Catalyst

Re: Favorite Character Poll

I chose fitz, everyone seems to think he is a whiny and weak character, but remember, he has good reason to be whiny, and he also writing down his thoughts, I mean we are all whiny we just never say anything out loud. He is a strong character for obvious reasons.
Conan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2009, 11:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
traveller space dreamer

I choosed, Fitz. This character kept me awake till the end of the book. I didn't find any other character so interesting since.

In my opinion, Nighteyes deserves to have a place in the poll, too. I'm sure not everyone will choose him. Well, I must admit, I would have chosen him.
Alexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009, 01:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

I wish that you could pick two because Fitz and The Fool together are equal, but I suppose if I must choose it will be The Fool........no.....wait.....Fitz?.......err!!!.... ...Oh heck, now I'm in a dilemma.
Beloved Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009, 01:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lady of Autumn

I voted for the Fool. I thought he was definitely one of the most intriguing characters I've ever read about. Althea would be next, for her strength, and whilst I like Nighteyes I'm not sure I would have voted for him, but the Fool stands out as my favourite.
Talysia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2009, 08:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Can't believe you didn't put Chade in there! He'd probably be my number 1. Love the old bloke pulling the strings right from Assassin's Apprentice down to Fool's Fate.

Out of the list, probably Burrich.
Quick Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2009, 03:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Writing

You know for some reason I didn't think of him. Chade was one of my favorite too. (Mind you I liked them all)
Old 30th January 2009, 09:04 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratsy View Post
You know for some reason I didn't think of him. Chade was one of my favorite too. (Mind you I liked them all)
Except Regal, of course!! And his coterie, whose names escape me for the present..........and the Forged ones
Beloved Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2009, 03:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Writing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beloved Fan View Post
Except Regal, of course!! And his coterie, whose names escape me for the present..........and the Forged ones

I didn't like Regal...but I appreciated his character and the need for him in the story. I did like his eventual demise though. I must say that his "skill gang" were a bunch of arrogant tools. As for the forged ones, I felt pity for them...one minute they are eating dinner and the next they are clubbing their wife for a loaf of bread and a sweater. Oh, well, lets kill them all!
Old 30th January 2009, 10:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

nighteyes
then the fool
then kettricken
also rather liked paragon, or whatever the boat was called
the_faery_queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2009, 12:22 AM   #11 (permalink)

I think the Pirate King Kennett was my favorite of them all. Aside from Fitz, Kennett was by far the most complex character in the series. Each other character in the Liveships story held a different perception of him, while he held a unique view of himself, and as readers we were encouraged by Hobb to come to our own conclusions about Kennett based on his actions and his true motivations. Liveships was a fantastic story but personally I felt Kennett was one of the driving forces behind it.
Rothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2009, 07:53 PM   #12 (permalink)

Good call, Rothgar: Kennit is most definitely the most complex and interesting character in lots of ways. But I'm going to have to go with the Fool from this list. I love ambiguity and mystery!!

Shadow xx
shadow-rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 11:08 AM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratsy View Post
Really? I thought most of her characters were pretty whiny and 'weak' actually. They all just dissolve into self-pity mode way too much, detailing all their many problems and how the world is working against them etc etc.

Not one has the courage to actually stand up and say "**** this" and take matters into their own hands. I've always thought maybe Fitz's role was built on a female, the way he whinges all the time and probably would've been more suited to a female.

I found most of her characters to be just spoiled kids and they started to get on my nerves at times.

Neither her story nor the characters were 'brilliant' or extraordinary in isolation. However, having said that, the combination somehow worked and it was still a good read but what I said above is what keeps Hobb from climbing into the 'elite' group of writers for me, though she is still very good.

P.S: Regal was a great character, one of the few. He really gave the ***** to everyone which was the main purpose.
Quick Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 03:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
Writing

Well, I it was nice to read a book where the characters had more real characteristics. How many books have you read where the main character was almost "superhuman" and had no emotions when it came to love or death. I think that Hobb did a fantastic job, and what some people think of as whiny I think was justified. Even losing an animal he was bonded to at such a young age would have long lasting mental effects which showed through. And the loss of Molly because of his forced sense of duty.

Fitz himself almost died a number of times but that didnt stop him from caring and doing everything he could to help those he cared about. I am only one person but Hobb is one of the elite writers of the time in my opinion.
Old 14th February 2009, 10:33 AM   #15 (permalink)

I agree with u Rasty, i not long ago i started reading a new book which cincidered a "good one", but as i kept on reading i couldn't stop thinking how the development of the plot is so much predected and unsurprising.
I also disagree with all who clame Fitz is a "whiner", we all have a dendency to complane about everything in our thoughts, but what matters is what we do about it. This is the case with Fitz, we can hear his thoughts and whishes, but we can also see his actions, and this is what counts !!
nigigi is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: