Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > General > Sport

Sport Sports forum for discussion of sports, sporting events, and sporting activities.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 20th June 2010, 02:03 AM   #421 (permalink)

Re: Cul's Sports Bar

Socceroos still have a ray of hope and certainly played better, especially with 10 men after Harry was cruelly red-carded.....at least its better than having the bags already packed.
GOLLUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2010, 03:16 AM   #422 (permalink)
Thicker than water

Grrrrr what is it with these refs? Not only are they carding our players, they're carding our very hopes and dreams. With Kewell on I believe we could easily have won - for one thing, the strikers wouldn't have been under nearly as much pressure and wouldn't have felt the need to rush their shots. Ghana was okay, but they seemed really eager to shoot anything that came their way (hence the massive number of Ghanaian goal shots taken compared to the Socceroos, even though Ghana only had one more on target than Australia).

The Aussies still have quite a few probs, but I agree with Gollum - there was definitely a resurrection of pride after the Germany game. And I strongly believe we can get through to the next round: Aussies to beat Serbia and Ghana to beat Germany! Woo!
digs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2010, 08:16 AM   #423 (permalink)
Keep Moving Forward!

Well, we're definitely due some luck, so hopefully it comes our way in the Serbia game and the Germany-Ghana match. As improbably as it is, I'd really love to see Germany lose and get knocked out after giving us that hiding...
Culhwch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2010, 02:08 PM   #424 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culhwch View Post
Well, we're definitely due some luck, so hopefully it comes our way in the Serbia game and the Germany-Ghana match. As improbably as it is, I'd really love to see Germany lose and get knocked out after giving us that hiding...
OOH....do I detect the faint fragrance of bitter grapes Sir...that's not like you.....

Seriously though, we are due some luck, soooo go Ghana and the Aussies!

Down with those refs! GRRRR........
Old 20th June 2010, 03:22 PM   #425 (permalink)
Thicker than water

NZ 1 Italy 0 after 20 min of play - time to start living vicariously through the Kiwis!

Edit: 1-1 now

Last edited by digs; 20th June 2010 at 03:35 PM.
Old 20th June 2010, 11:18 PM   #426 (permalink)
The Immortal Prince

sigh...

YouTube - Kaká Red Card Brazil 3-1 Ivory Coast 20.06.10 Fifa World Cup 2010

FIFA needs to address this pansy play acting.

Quote:
Grrrrr what is it with these refs? Not only are they carding our players, they're carding our very hopes and dreams.
Let's face it, we don't have high hopes and dreams for Soccer. We're not that good at it.
Cayal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2010, 11:32 PM   #427 (permalink)
Bearly Believable

That's never stopped us dreaming, Cayal.

I feel sorry for Kaka, given that his second yellow was for probably the least innocuous action (I can't call it a foul) of any carded player in the tournament so far**. And it will hardly help the Ivory Coast cause that he's not going to be playing against Portugal.

** - And I'm including the cards in the ludicrous Serbia-Germany match.
Ursa major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2010, 01:23 AM   #428 (permalink)
Thicker than water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayal View Post
Let's face it, we don't have high hopes and dreams for Soccer. We're not that good at it.
If anything I think we dream harder. Australia loves an underdog!
Old 21st June 2010, 04:22 AM   #429 (permalink)

I think over time Aussies will rule the Soccer World MUWAHAAA! DROOL....SIGH...
Old 21st June 2010, 05:23 AM   #430 (permalink)
Keep Moving Forward!

I think sometimes our expectations are too high, but our hopes and dreams are at the right level.

Interesting piece I saw on the news this morning about junior soccer (sorry, rest of the world except the US) numbers in Victoria outstripping AFL numbers. I fancy this happens around the time of every World Cup, but I know there are usually very high numbers in the sport at junior levels anyway. We really need a quality top tier competition to keep them in the game longer - I would guess there is a significant drop-off between juniors and seniors. If we can land the World Cup in 2022, it would go a long way towards helping, as well.
Old 21st June 2010, 06:16 AM   #431 (permalink)
Thicker than water

Yeah, from my experience a lot of kids start out in soccer and then branch out into AFL/rugby/ultimate fighting when their parents think they're a bit less squishy. That's only observation though, I don't have any stats.
Old 23rd June 2010, 03:36 AM   #432 (permalink)
Fool

Quote:
Yeah, from my experience a lot of kids start out in soccer and then branch out into AFL/rugby/ultimate fighting when their parents think they're a bit less squishy. That's only observation though, I don't have any stats.
Ha ha, squishy.
Hilarious Joke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2010, 11:52 AM   #433 (permalink)
Thaphireth!

Cul, Thanks for opening the bar. I seem to remember a guy named Sam Malone being a non-drinker while running a tavern... I've not read the entire thread, so I'm not sure if there is a Norm or not.

I had some comments and questions stemming from the World Cup match today between Ghana and the U.S. My comments will stem from soccer, but I don't want them to pertain only to it.

I grew up on the popular team sports in the U.S. namely football, basketball, and baseball. I began playing organized ball right after I turned eight. I have good working knowledge of the rules, strategies, and at least the general theories (if not the finer points) of tennis, golf, swimming, track and field (I know that covers dozens of events), boxing, hockey, snow skiing, water skiing, bicycling, and auto racing. Let me also say that I played football through high school and basketball through college... and that I feel that I am extremely well schooled in these two sports in particular.

You may have noticed that soccer did not make the list of sports that I feel that I understand. Other notable exceptions include volleyball, rugby, Australian rules football, sumo wrestling, and mixed martial arts. Over the years I have acquired a taste for sumo's pageantry, speed, and power; for MMA's ferocity and precision; for rugby's and Australian football's sheer manliness; and for volleyball's ebb and flow. But I've never been able to gain an appreciation for soccer. I watched the U.S men's team play the U.K, Algeria, and Ghana (I missed the match with Slovenia). I also watched significant portions of Spain v. Honduras, Germany v. Australia, and Mexico v. France (on the local Spanish language channel). These are the only soccer games I've watched in the last sixteen years.

The spectacle and scale of the World Cup intrigues me. But now that the U.S is out, I won't watch any more games.

Now let me state that I am not trying to bash soccer. The point I'm getting to is "Are there sports (that you have found later in life) for which you gained an appreciation? And why do some sports seem to continue to fail to successfully pique your interest?"

There are probably certain aspects of certain sports that turn us off. Maybe hockey is too violent, maybe motor sports use too much equipment, maybe golf is too slow... Or maybe the rules or the action just do not make any sense at all.

Speaking for myself... Soccer does not make sense to me.

For example, in the U.S. v. Ghana match, the U.S. was granted a penalty kick. But why? The player, Dempsey, was dribbling the ball towards the goal and looked to be successfully tackled to me. By this, I mean that the ball was not actually on his foot when a defender slid in and made contact with the ball... so in my understanding Dempsey did not actually have physical possession of the ball, so that's tough for him if a defender successfully takes the ball away. And later, it may have been in extra time, Altidore of the U.S. was looking to score and the goaltender tackled him but there was no penalty kick awarded. It seemed to me to have been the exact same play as was made on Dempsey. Maybe the goalie is special... Maybe it was the approach angle... I don't know.

Of course all you soccer fans know exactly why one was a penalty and the other was not. You all know what is a legal tackle and what is not. By never having played or watched soccer, I don't know and it does not make sense to me.

I understand offsides. I mean, I get how it is ruled and applied. But why is it in the game? The U.S. team looked like they scored a legitimate goal against Algeria, but our player was ruled offsides five feet from the goal line. Seriously?!?! If a team cannot be bothered to defend it's own goal, then they should be sent home and their spot should be given to a country who wants to really be there. Or at least get rid of offsides once the ball is inside the penalty box... Hey, Spoiler Alert!!! Everyone knows the offensive team is threatening! So get in there and play some defense!

Many, if not most, non-Americans will say something similar about our game of football. Why do they stop and huddle for every play? Those guys must be dumb as stumps!... Stopping the clock and calling time-outs is a cheat!... Why can some players slap, push, pull, and manhandle each other while others cannot?... Why can only one player throw the ball?... When the guy running with the ball goes down, sometimes he can get up and keep going and sometimes he can't... that does not make sense.... Why can all eleven defenders catch a pass while only five offensive players can?... Freely substituting players at will is mayhem!... What the heck are downs and why are they used?... Do they really need seven officials?... They've got four times as many players on the bench as they do in the game!... They're trying to kill each other and referees are calling penalties for unnecessary roughness?!?! Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!?!?!?!?!? Is there another way to try and kill each other?

On the other extreme, Australian rules football... the VFL/AFL is highly entertaining. I don't know the strategies, the plays, or the rules. But I do know that it is fast, high scoring, and is played by tough sonofaguns. It looks like soccer, hits like football and rugby, yet flows like basketball.

In America, little boys (between the ages of five to twelve) have played a game (at least since the early 1970's, if not earlier, like the 1940's) called Smear The Queer (a rough and tumble form of tag)... not very pc, I know. The general idea is that one boy will have a football and he'll avoid the other boys (3-30 of them) until they knock him down, wrestle him down or strip him of the ball...i.e. a successful tackle. Then another boy will pick up the ball and run for as long as he's able before being tackled or losing the ball. Sometimes, just before being tackled, a boy will toss the ball to his buddy and they'll covertly try and play a two person keep-away from the other boys... like, two v. twenty. Sometimes to be mean, a boy (usually named Nick/Rocky/Dirk Hardpecs/McLargeHuge) will toss the ball to kid (named Blair/Blaine/Gaylord/Percy or any poor boy whose parents have led him to believe that he is squishy) and then all the other boys will dogpile that poor kid. Anyway, that's the closest I've ever come to playing Australian rules football... Black eyes, sprained wrists, bloody noses, scabbed knees, teeth knocked out... it was a blast!!!

So... which sports intrigue you and which do not?

Edit: Does this post make me out to be a complete barbaric lout?

Last edited by Boaz; 27th June 2010 at 12:05 PM.
Boaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2010, 12:10 PM   #434 (permalink)
Keep Moving Forward!

Oh my god. It's Boaz. And he's outside the Martin forums. Isn't this one of the signs of the coming of the apocalypse?
Old 27th June 2010, 12:19 PM   #435 (permalink)

Dunno about an apocalypse occurring IRL but someone hand me the aspirins, I think there may be one brewing in my head right now. After all that chat regarding the allocation of points in The Round Of 16 and beyond I have a cracking headache!

Meh.....I'm off for a nap.

Tags
cricket, nfl, redskins, rugby league, sports, state of origin, steelers, wolverhampton wanderers

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: