Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > General > Announcements

Announcements Place for sffchronicles announcements, updates, and info on this website only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd January 2009, 07:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Brian G. Turner

New forum style!

Just to let everyone know I've now made the new forum style the default on chronicles.

I'm expecting that I've ironed out most bugs, but if you see anything acting up, please post your bug reports in this thread.

Also, I'm still leaving the older styles up for the time being - however, the templates for these styles are now quite out of date and may not work properly. And I'm not planning to update them either because it would be just too much work to find all of the changed code in the software over the past year.

In the meantime, I'm trying to build up momentum on the front end of the site - ie, Chronicles Network: Science Fiction & Fantasy - and hopefully will be able to maintain and expend on the general presence of chronicles through this.
I, Brian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2009, 08:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Arrogant Bastard

Re: New forum style!

Is there a way to override the default width? It appears to be 980 pixels which leaves a ton of empty space on wide screen monitors. It would be nice to use all of my available viewing space which would mean a lot less scrolling.

I also see you mentioned that the old styles were still available. If it's not possible to change the width of the new one then how do I go back to the old one? I couldn't find the option in the User CP.

Thanks.
viZion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2009, 08:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Left-minded

Haven't seen any bugs yet, but what I have seen, I've liked! Thanks, Brian!
Tillane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2009, 09:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Shaman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viZion View Post
Is there a way to override the default width? It appears to be 980 pixels which leaves a ton of empty space on wide screen monitors. It would be nice to use all of my available viewing space which would mean a lot less scrolling.

I also see you mentioned that the old styles were still available. If it's not possible to change the width of the new one then how do I go back to the old one? I couldn't find the option in the User CP.

Thanks.
it leaves a fair bit on a stsndard monitor too, but other than that it looks really good
sloweye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2009, 09:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lazy student

*Gasp* The forum has been squished by a textual car compactor! I share the chaps' statement that a setting to widen the forum would be cool, but other than that I think it's looking pretty shiny. Nice job so far, hope the rest of the site development is fun
Erunanion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2009, 09:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Silly Person

I find that it doesn't agree with my browser very well, so I often get a blank page when I want to look at a thread and have to use refresh to be able to see the contents. It also seems slower to me. I'm using Firefox, BTW.

EDIT: I also seem to have troubles editing, but we'll see if I can now.
Nikitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2009, 10:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fortiter et recte!

If you use Opera, you should have a small icon at the bottom of the page that says "Fit to width", which does exactly what it says on the tin.

No problems in Opera so far...the only thing I keep noticing so far is that the "Quote" window in a post has lost its white background.
pyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2009, 11:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Thaphireth!

Tea boy, I appreciate the effort to improve the style. Change is good for people.
Boaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009, 12:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Actum pro novus diem

Nice work Brian. From what I have seen so far, I like.
Majimaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009, 12:56 AM   #10 (permalink)
This world is not my home

I like the look. Brian, I don't know how you manage to get so much work done, but know that it is appreciated.
Parson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009, 01:28 AM   #11 (permalink)
Gracefully precise

I'm a bit thrown by all the spare space on the sides and seemingly extra advertising at the top. It's probably because I haven't figured how to adjust things yet. And sorry to nitpick, but I am finding white on dark red background in the drop down menus really hard to read. I'm amazed this is bothering me because some years ago I had a personal website with exactly this colour combination but there you go...
Precision Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009, 01:42 AM   #12 (permalink)
Actum pro novus diem

Yes the extra things at the top are tripping me out somewhat but I'm sure I'll get used to them pretty quickly.

I guess it is the advertising that helps to pay for this place.
Majimaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009, 10:22 AM   #13 (permalink)
still alive

the blog links are an interesting addition. shame to lose the "location" indicators, but so far so good.
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009, 01:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
Brian G. Turner

Quote:
Originally Posted by viZion View Post

Thanks.
The aim at present is to have a fixed-width, simply to help with presentation issues.

However, I am looking at adding a second version which fills around 90% of the screen width - not least because I want to add a right hand navigation menu on a wider format to showcase popular threads and stories from the front end. It's something I've tried before but didn't work too well, so even that simple change will be quite time intensive to ensure it works and doesn't take anything from the existing forum experience. I'm not sure if I'll have enough time for that at present, but it's on my to-do list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikitta View Post
I find that it doesn't agree with my browser very well, so I often get a blank page when I want to look at a thread and have to use refresh to be able to see the contents. It also seems slower to me. I'm using Firefox, BTW.

EDIT: I also seem to have troubles editing, but we'll see if I can now.
It sounds like a browser caching issue, where your browser is calling up older files stored on your PC - once you've refreshed a few times hopefully that should fix it, but keep me updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precision Grace View Post
I'm a bit thrown by all the spare space on the sides and seemingly extra advertising at the top. It's probably because I haven't figured how to adjust things yet. And sorry to nitpick, but I am finding white on dark red background in the drop down menus really hard to read. I'm amazed this is bothering me because some years ago I had a personal website with exactly this colour combination but there you go...
Chronicles has never been a "for-profit" site, that's why I've never forced pop-ups or similar on members like - ahem - some SFF forums might.

However, I think one of my problems with keeping chronicles updated has been lack of priority - ie, I have clients and sites that keep my business alive and pay my mortgage, and they have to get done first.

If I can make chronicles at cover more of its own costs without being particularly intrusive then I at least have more incentive to invest more time here.

I'm planning to anyway - but simple tweaks to the Adsense - as at present - should help chronicles develop at least a little more cash I can then use to reinvest in the site by adding more features, as well as more dedicated time here.

Considering the current credit crunch, I think it's important that chronicles can prove it can earn its keep, to ensure long-term viability.

Even still, I'm not pushing for chronicles to profit from members - but I would like to turn the front end into a semi-professional SFF magazine, so any income it can generate can then be put into paying for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
the blog links are an interesting addition. shame to lose the "location" indicators, but so far so good.
Yes, I kind of screwed up on the location indicators.

Simply put, there was already a "location" option, but I wanted to add a drop down menu partly to fight spam, and also to help with personalisation.

Unfortunately that meant having two "Location" fields, one of which was used for locations, and the other for bio info.

For some members, the bio info was in the wrong field, causing big text runs on their posts which I had to address. Removing "location" from in the posts themselves was the simplest way to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boaz View Post
Tea boy, I appreciate the effort to improve the style. Change is good for people.
No probs - I appreciate that change can be a bit weird as well, but mostly the changes are just a range of small tweaks, plus a template that looks a little prettier yet is essentially just a more updated version of the previous template, ie, same colours, etc.
I, Brian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009, 03:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
The Wicked Sword Maiden

It does't appear too cluttered, which is great. I'm having an issue with the colour of the text though - it always comes out the automatic black! Still, it's not that important I suppose.

Thank you for all the hard work you have put into it, Brian!
Rosemary is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: