Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Authors > Stephen King

Stephen King The Dark Tower series, and other writings

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 21st April 2010, 01:15 PM   #136 (permalink)

Re: Ending of the Dark Tower Series

Alright so I know I'm pretty late to this whole discussion, my friend bought the series last year and after reading it practically forced me to read The Gunslinger, probably knowing I would have to finish the series after that, and I am thankful because the whole series was amazing. As my opinion of the ending:

I thought the ending was perfect, his quest was not done because he didn't have the horn since SK was writing from this poem the last stanza says it all

"I saw them and I knew them all. And yet
Dauntless the slug-horn to my lips I set,
And blew."

Therefore no horn = quest isn't finished.

As for the business of the beams, I may be remembering something that wasn't in the book, but after they stopped the breakers and saved SK to keep the beam of the wolf up, was it not hinted that the beams would start recovering and repairing themselves and that eventually the fallen beams would start to grow across the worlds again?

Frosticuffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2010, 08:15 PM   #137 (permalink)
Run VT Erroll!

Here's a thought ; maybe Roland only achieves his final goal when King writes that he does.
paranoid marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2010, 11:47 PM   #138 (permalink)
Bearly Believable

...or at least gives him a proper hand.
Ursa major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 09:28 PM   #139 (permalink)
Winter Is Coming

I think he's starting over again so he can go in search of "Astin"?
xLORDSNOWx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 09:56 AM   #140 (permalink)

Cry pardon for joining so late, but I just finished the series and I am beyond happy to read that even as few as a handful are unhappy with the death of The Man in Black/Walter O'Dim/Randall Flagg/Richard Fannin/Ageless Stranger/Walkin' Dude/Marten Broadcloak/Rudin Filaro/and the theorized Leland Gaunt and Andre Linoge...
Because I know I sure am!

You see that long list of names. The character is so intriguing. He dies like a b----.

It is late where I am so at the moment I only wanted to write this (and because, before I write my feelings regarding the series as a whole, I want to make sure that this board is still visited ).

Long days and pleasant nights,
The_Wheel_O'Dim
The_Wheel_O'Dim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 10:54 PM   #141 (permalink)
Iago with a Blackberry

I am most impressed at how many Tower things you managed to cram into your username!

And while I'm still pottering around the site, the king bit will always be visited! Welcome, Wheel.
HoopyFrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 11:12 PM   #142 (permalink)
Northern Monkey

Still not read the last third of the final book lol

It is still under my coffee table taunting me

Mind you now Ii know how it ends do I need to read it? (I hadn't got to the multiple SKs so I'm thinking maybe not) and after 4 years not sure I can remember all of the story arcs.
Tansy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 11:45 PM   #143 (permalink)
Bearly Believable

Perhaps, Tansy, you should go back to the beginning....
Ursa major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 11:54 PM   #144 (permalink)
Northern Monkey

The only books I've ever re-read are The Fellowship of the Ring and currently A Game of Thrones

I hated the gunslinger (it was short hence I finished it and I was a SK fan in my youth) and like the 2nd and 3rd books in dark tower but lost interest towards the end, specially as the last book I bought he apologised about the ending, I've been so hacked off by many of his endings I put the book down and move on

The bits I actually enjoyed about this series was the tie in with his other stories such as Pere Callaghan's back story and Hearts in Atlantis, Insomnia etc, that's what kept me reading for so long
Old 4th June 2010, 08:09 PM   #145 (permalink)
Glad to be a Geek!

I loved the ending of the Dark Tower series - you know, the proper ending that Steve didn't really want you to read.

The impression I got was that Roland was on a pretty much endless cycle of repeating the same adventure over and over again - albeit with one tiny detail changed with each one (I vaguely recall a theme of 'cycles' throughout the work, but I could be misremembering this). Gave me a kind of chill to think that Roland may have completed his quest a million times before ... and may have to complete it again a million times more.

Anyways, I loved it - left me with an impression that the whole massive Gunslinger cycle was just an iota of something infintely vaster.
A_J_Lath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010, 10:55 PM   #146 (permalink)
Northern Monkey

How awful for poor Roland, surely in this opus he should have made the move to set him free?

Mind you life isn't like that so why should Roland get the prize lol

Roland the Hamster lol going round in his twisted wheel while the universe moves on around him
Old 10th August 2010, 12:24 PM   #147 (permalink)

although I prefer happier endings, I could live with the ending of Roland being reset to the desert.

Unfortunately the problem in these books, which prevents them from being the ultimate epos la "lord of the rings", is that the story became quite ludicrous with book 6.

The whole idea to get a main character pregnant, and then with a demon-child was a bad choice, and SK f*cked it up completely by basically making the whole story-arch obsolete, because if you examine it closely, the whole Suzannah pregnant bullsh*t only resulted in a disgusting, but ultimately powerless CK child which totally failed to deliver anything but some gross reading.

I bought books 6+7 years ago, started to read, but always quit again, despite my longing to find out what happens next to the party. I even read the whole 13 books of "The Wheel Of Time" by Robert Jordan, until I finally decided to listen to the final 2 Tower books via the audiobook version.

Ok, finally I decided to face the ludicrous Suzannah story again, and when I reached the part where the baby "gets faxed over to Mia", I was first totally confused. WTF? There are now suddenly 2 bodies, and Suzannah isn't giving birth? I had to listen to this part like 3 times because I wanted to read an explanation how the hell Suzannah split into 2 bodies again, one being the demon, and the other herself. Of course there is no "explanation" besides some funny hair-dryer machine on Suzannah's head.

Ok, so now Mia gives birth and gets eaten. Pretty gross reading, and not quite after my liking, but anyway. Unfortunately this baby turned out to be just a weak clone of Gollum "good fish... Mordred is ah-hungry", who has a stupid daddy complex for quite a while and does nothing of any importance until Roland wastes him in a pretty unspectacular way.

The "happy endling" for Jake, Mia, Oy, and Eddie in another dimension was total BS either. Who wants to see his heroes returned to a boring ordinary life? Not me.
The part with the breakers and the assault was pretty good again.

To sum it up: Stephen King had his hand on an epic story, but he screwed it up. Maybe he can fix it, by writing 2 alternate books 6+7, or at least write a book about Roland's adventures when he gets reset to the desert...

So to reply to SK: I didn't fly through the story to reach the end, and I kinda like the ending, but the last 2 books were to the most part ridiculous crap any high school student could write better, and you ruined the story!

Last edited by horseshoe; 10th August 2010 at 01:06 PM.
horseshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 07:07 PM   #148 (permalink)

Here is the thing that bothered me about the ending that no one seems to have brought up anywhere on the internet that I can find:

How can Roland possibly repeat his quest? It makes no sense, because in order to do so he must visit the Keystone World several times, in which time only runs one way, thus it would be impossible to repeat the quest.

Secondly, and on the same note, how do you explain the fact that Suzy can go to 1999 in Keystone World, yet Eddie and Roland can then go to 1978? They are constanly concerned with how much time has passed in the "real world" during all of Book 5, and then they jump to 1978. If they could do that, why does it matter what time has passed in the Keystone World in the year of 99???

I really like these books, and I defended the books for years, but on my third read through of book 5 and second read through of 6 and 7, I gotta say these two time travel related paradoxs really bother me. Perhaps someone has an explanation.
Ostrich_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 02:42 AM   #149 (permalink)

Wow, and someone earlier thought they were late into the discussion. Sorry if this is dead, but someone losted less than a month ago, and this story is brand new to me so I'm going to give my 2 cents. I went through the whole series in about 3-4 months. I got the hardcover and audio books from each at a local library and the Dark Tower books became my free time and the audio my entertainment to and from work. Now I agree with most people that it was sort of a cop out ending, for a lot of the same reasons as others. It seems he got lazy and decided backstory (which he seems he went into unnecessary detail for the most minute characters) wasn't important for some of the more major characters and themes towards the end. By the time Jake was dead, I was reading to get though I will admit, though my interest peaked in the last 80-90 pages perhaps. Either way noone cares about my experience reading the book, but THIS is the part that bothers ME! We get some vague idea from Mia that Roland has no intentions of 'savbing" the tower, only wants to climb to the top. However, they put a hell of a lot on the line and go through a lot of trouble to stop the breakers. In fact throughout the whole story, they go out of their way to help a lot of people. Roland is definately faithful to the way of the "white." He honestly doesn't seem that selfish to me! But the more important thing to me, the part that kind of pisses me off. Was the Tower ever in any REAL danger from the beams breaking? It each successive time the Tower takes Roland back to the beginning, do the beams return to their current state at that time. Are the beams just smoke and mirrors of the tower. If so, Roland himself risked his life to save the beams and therefore the Tower, does that make him so selfish? And if it is (smoke and mirrors) then why is Roland singled out to repeat an endless journey of all people. We have met far lower creatures who could be taught far greater lessons. I dunno, to be honest, it really just break my secret heart I had grown for the story.
SleepingGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 07:46 AM   #150 (permalink)

I hated the ending and I loved the ending

I LAUGHED, I CRIED, I KISSED 50 BUCKS GOODBYE
Aule is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: