Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Authors > J K Rowling

J K Rowling The works of J K Rowling, not least the Harry Potter series.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14th April 2009, 05:00 PM   #31 (permalink)
Iago with a Blackberry

Re: The Harry potter films.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayal View Post
Everyone prefers Harris. Gambon failed when he almost threw Harry through the wall in Goblet of Fire.
Yes, I think that's the bit everyone remembers about him (was going to comment on it before and noticed someone else had as well). It was just such a un-Dumbledore-ish thing to do, especially to Harry.

I also agree that a middle ground between Harris and Gambon would be best. As said, Harris really had the wise, stately thing going on; he'd just need a bit of Gambon's energy and he'd be right on the mark.
HoopyFrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 05:58 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
by Blairwitcher
I think Cho chang was ugly. cant they find anything else to replace her?

I thought she was gorgeous, alluring, and had eyes you could drown in...... Better by far than Ginny..... Oh, and it's 'Can't'.......

Hands up those who think that Harry really should have ended up with Hermione?
Boneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 06:07 PM   #33 (permalink)
Where matter vanishes...

No, I agree with Harry's statement to Ron in the last book, Sir Bone; namely, that he loved her as a sister. It's one of the many small ways that Rowling allowed the series to not become predictable, while simultaneously leaving that door open just a crack to encourage speculation/interest. Afraid I shall have to be counted among the nays....
Grimward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 09:20 PM   #34 (permalink)

Ah, yes, but the books led us to believe that Ron and Hermione would end up together (Harry was lying, just to make Ron feel good, one could argue?) but I'm almost swayed by your point, Grim......... In the interests of good writing.......
Boneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 09:13 AM   #35 (permalink)
1 Candlepower Brain

Harry and Hermione? Please. I don't think so.
The Procrastinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 12:12 AM   #36 (permalink)
The Immortal Prince

The alliteration alone makes it unbearable.

Harry and Hermione have happy hopping hobbits.
Cayal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 03:23 AM   #37 (permalink)
Where matter vanishes...

Hmmm, maybe change "hobbits" to "house elves"?

Otherwise, you'll have to say 5 "Three Rings for Elven Kings...", 2 "All that Glitters..." and polish the prize bells in Tolkien Trivia for a month as your penance....
Old 16th April 2009, 05:51 AM   #38 (permalink)
The Immortal Prince

I couldn't think of a 'h' word. lol.
Cayal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 07:41 PM   #39 (permalink)

Harry's looks don't bother me at all. I feel that his character in the books matures enough to be able to pull it off.
A.Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 04:25 PM   #40 (permalink)
Ruler of all worlds

Judjing by the comments here, I'm probably the only one who thinks the whole cast was s**t. And Daniel Radcliff is the worse actor ever in the film. Actually make that Rupert Grint. I gave up after the second film. I guess I'm too much of a fan of the books to suffer more disappointments and years of teeth-grinding...
zaelyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 04:52 PM   #41 (permalink)
Luna tick

I think the mature characters cast in the films are brilliant, they have had the pick of British acting talent and so each role was filled almost to perfection. I particularly like Snape, probably the best character in the film, but they seemed to ignore his part in the half-blood prince, the biggest surprise in that book for me was finding out who the half blood prince was, and in the film they kind of rushed over it.

Also I was really looking forward to the scene in Order of the Pheonix when Snape and Sirius have a big argument in the secret HQ, but it wasn't in the film.

The kids have done surprisingly well since the early films, it can't be easy casting someone at 11 and expecting them to actually become an ok actor by 18.
Moonbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 03:50 AM   #42 (permalink)
Where matter vanishes...

Hear, hear, MB. Then again, with exposure to Richard Harris, Emma Thompson, Alan Rickman, Gary Oldman, Helena Bonham Carter and other such accomplished luminaries, how much more of an elite grooming can you get?

I think the casting's been great (still can't get over how good Luna is) but was disappointed with Slugworth. Don't get me wrong; Broadbent is worthy of mention among the names above, but this wasn't his best performance.
Old 2nd October 2009, 10:42 PM   #43 (permalink)

I thought Slughorn was done really well, better than I had expected. Judging a whole series by the first two movies seems a little premature. They are the worst of the books, for me, and the worst of the films. Rowling improved dramatically as a writer for the third novel and the kids learned to act better and better all along. Hermione still annoys me with her excessive elocution, but it's all good, it's a movie and it doesn't take anything away from how we read the books.
Dozmonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2009, 07:52 AM   #44 (permalink)
Reetou Diplomatic Corp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbat View Post
I particularly like Snape, probably the best character in the film, but they seemed to ignore his part in the half-blood prince, the biggest surprise in that book for me was finding out who the half blood prince was, and in the film they kind of rushed over it.
I saw HBP twice at the cinema and both times the back-handed revelation about who the Half Blood Prince was just struck a jar in every bone in body. Then I re-read it. And that's pretty much how it's done in the book. I was, to coin a phrase, gobsmacked. I'd been remembering the subsequent investigation in Hallows where the kids prove it for themselves.
PTeppic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2009, 02:39 AM   #45 (permalink)

As a senior Potter fan I have enjoyed all of the films. The films always vary from the original, and I think that all would agree this was definitely shown in HBP - the destruction of the Burrow, Ginny & Harry kissing and Dumbledore and harry visit to Slughorn to name but a few, I always treat these as an interesting variant of the original story. it will be interesting to see how the last book is depicted!
Neutral is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: