Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Authors > Mark Robson

Mark Robson Discuss the writings of Mark Robson and books from Sword Publishing.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 17th December 2008, 05:29 PM   #151 (permalink)

Re: Ask the Author

Mark, have you ever worked out the Flesch-Kinkaid Grade Level for any of your books? I would be interested to know to see if my book should be aimed at the same level as yours.

Ed - Threddy
Threddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2008, 05:33 PM   #152 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexM View Post
Hey Mark, I was wondering if the Imperial series is the only series you've written? If it isn't, and you have others. Which series do you think is best to read first?
Mark has written 3 series.

Darkweaver Legacy - 4 Books
Imperial Trilogy - 3 Books - Surprisingly, lol
Dragon Orb - 4 Books [Only 2(technically 1) published so far]

Doesn't really matter which order you read. In my opinion, the Imperial book sare the best, but I feel they make more sense if you read the Darkweaver Legacy first.

Ed - Threddy

(P.s Would have let Mark answer but I thought this may slip through the net as it's at the end of the page)
Old 18th December 2008, 07:33 PM   #153 (permalink)
Dragon Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexM View Post
Hey Mark, I was wondering if the Imperial series [not sure what its called, saw it at the library] is the only series you've written? if it isn't, and you have others. Which series do you think is best to read first?

Also, at the school I attend there is a poster in our library of your book Imperial Traitor. And thats in Australia!
My thanks to Threddy for answering the question. I had missed it - sorry. If you want to read the stories in true Chronological sequence, then The Darkweaver Legacy is the first series to read - or the Dragon Orb series, as this is the start of something totally different to my previous work.

Thanks for posting. It's great to hear that my books have found their way to Australia.
Mark Robson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 07:50 PM   #154 (permalink)

In answering the other question, this one has been missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threddy View Post
Mark, have you ever worked out the Flesch-Kinkaid Grade Level for any of your books? I would be interested to know to see if my book should be aimed at the same level as yours.

Ed - Threddy
Old 6th January 2009, 11:07 AM   #155 (permalink)
Dragon Writer

No, Threddy. I've never worked that out. I'm not even sure I'd know where to start! I've heard of it, but I can't remember where. I've got a feeling that one of my word processor programmes used to work it out automatically, though I never used to pay any attention to it.
Old 21st January 2009, 09:20 PM   #156 (permalink)
BATMAN

Hey Mark, don't know if you remember me, but i'm just dropping in to say i'm absolutely DELIGHTED to hear that you've released a new series of books. and i'll be sure to go and get them within the week, this news has just cheered me up a great deal.
Thaught i'd let you know.
Cosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 09:30 AM   #157 (permalink)
Dragon Writer

Glad to hear it, Cosmo. There's only two out so far, but I should finish writing the final book next week. Then I'll come up for air and be sociable again!
Old 8th April 2009, 11:59 AM   #158 (permalink)
Ell

Hi Mark,

Just recently finished Shadow and Longfang, both very good reads, even if they're aimed at younger audiences. I really enjoyed the way you moved about between the characters minds more in Shadow compared to Firestorm, it gave it more pace and depth. And in Longfang when they're in the chase in Harkesis, I actually forgot for a second that it was you who had written the Imperial series and hoped against hope that it would be written as well. Then I remembered that you were one and the same, relaxed into it and was glad to be reminded of Femke and Shalidar's cat and mouse games. In fact I may well re-read them now. Of course, some of the best bits are when you go into descriptions of flying and how it feels. I'm looking forward to the final installment.

I know it's more S&S than you but I was just wondering whether you knew when the competition results might be posted.

Thanks for all of your series.
Ell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2009, 04:59 PM   #159 (permalink)
Dragon Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ell View Post
Hi Mark,

I know it's more S&S than you but I was just wondering whether you knew when the competition results might be posted.

Thanks for all of your series.
Thanks very much for your post, Ell. I shall chase up the competition results this week - I've been so busy that it had totally slipped my mind. I've got some updating to do on other areas of my website as well.

I'm really glad that you have enjoyed the middle of the Dragon Orb series, too. It's never easy to get middle books to be satisfying, as you have to leave all the big confrontations to the end of the series - at least that's the way it feels. I've really enjoyed writing these books and am planning a very wide-reaching series next that will see dragons messing with our history all over the world. Should be fun!
Old 8th April 2009, 09:58 PM   #160 (permalink)
Ell

I look forward to it! Presumably in the same world as the dragon orbs? I do get a certain kind of enjoyment from novels that could exist within our world. And the more extreme yet explainable, the better.

I do have to say, even though I know you’re not so keen to talk about the Darkweaver legacy, that I think ‘First sword’ along with ‘The forging of the sword’ were my two favourites of that set. I’d have to say you seem to have a knack for getting the middle books exciting.

I would have hoped you would have had a well deserved rest after finishing the dragon orbs (apart from my selfish inner self that hopes monsters would lock you up and force you to produce novels constantly) but I guess there’s no rest for the wicked and the brilliant. I’m looking forward to Aurora.
Old 9th April 2009, 02:49 AM   #161 (permalink)
Ji'Kirie Hammerman

Hi, Mark,

My 11 year old son, is getting more interested in reading
and I just came across these post. What i have read in these threads
and from talking to my son. He would like to start reading them
My question is are they sold here in America and are the books at a level
where they challenge him but at the same time they don't overwhelm him
hammerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2009, 09:39 PM   #162 (permalink)
Dragon Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
Hi, Mark,

My 11 year old son, is getting more interested in reading
and I just came across these post. What i have read in these threads
and from talking to my son. He would like to start reading them
My question is are they sold here in America and are the books at a level
where they challenge him but at the same time they don't overwhelm him
Hi Hammerhead. The books are not on general release in the US, but I just had a look at amazon.com and they are showing some of my books as available, and they are all orderable (you might have to wait a while). I did have to smile, as by looking on amazon.com I discovered this wonderful review of Firestorm that I'd not come across before: Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Dragon Orb: Firestorm: No. 1

Firestorm is the book I'd recommend as a starter for an 11 year old. It's not too daunting - fairly large type print and not too many pages. Yet the story is written to appeal right through the age ranges.
Old 9th April 2009, 10:18 PM   #163 (permalink)
Ji'Kirie Hammerman

Thanks Mark,

I have ordered Firestorm and my son awaits it's delivery

he said to tell he will let you know how he likes it.

once again thankyou
hammerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2009, 10:07 AM   #164 (permalink)
Dragon Writer

I look forwards to hearing what he thinks.

Thanks Hammerhead.
Old 25th April 2009, 11:54 AM   #165 (permalink)
Ell

Hi again Mark,

I know I was going to re-read the Imperial series, but I ended up reading the Darkweaver series again instead, I do love it. Having just finished it, I have a couple of questions that haven't occurred to me before. Firstly, what was it that the improvised spell that Calvyn put on his blade under Perdimonn's influence in the first book actually did? Did it just make the sword receptive to the key's for later, or was it necessary to bind the other spells he put on the sword, i.e. without it the sword would not have had any powers, or did it give the sword a specific ability (I can't quite remember all of them so I'm not sure if I am forgetting to account for one)?

And my other question is why was the original emperor immune to Vallaine's sorcery? Did he have a similar ring to Vallaine, or was he a sorcerer himself, or is there some rite or object that in becoming emperor, grants all emperor's resistance?

Sorry if this post has spoilers (although the books have been out a while now). I will try to edit it if you feel it does. Thanks,

Ell

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: