Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Authors > Mark Robson

Mark Robson Discuss the writings of Mark Robson and books from Sword Publishing.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 16th July 2008, 09:27 PM   #136 (permalink)
Dragon Writer

Re: Ask the Author

OK, Threddy, here's the list who will be attending on Saturday 6th Sep 08 at Witney Waterstones:

Mark Robson
Mary Hoffman - Mary Hoffman - Children's writer

Julia Golding - Julia Golding | Books
Sarah Singleton - Sarah Singleton
Rachael Wing - Scholastic Children's Books Author Zone
MG Harris - MG Harris - official author Website
Joanna Kenrick (TBC) - Joanna Kenrick - Home

Apparently I will be giving a talk in the Corn Exchange Gallery Room at 2pm. There's limited seating, but I don't expect hordes of fans to swamp the place, so I imagine getting tickets will be easy enough. You should be able to get them from the Witney Waterstones store.

As for selling the old cover versions on ebay, I have no idea how much you would get for them. If they are first editions you shouldn't have too many problems getting rid of them, but if they are reprints, then you probably won't get much.
Mark Robson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 05:10 PM   #137 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Robson View Post
OK, Threddy, here's the list who will be attending on Saturday 6th Sep 08 at Witney Waterstones:

Julia Golding - Julia Golding | Books

Apparently I will be giving a talk in the Corn Exchange Gallery Room at 2pm. There's limited seating, but I don't expect hordes of fans to swamp the place, so I imagine getting tickets will be easy enough. You should be able to get them from the Witney Waterstones store.

As for selling the old cover versions on ebay, I have no idea how much you would get for them. If they are first editions you shouldn't have too many problems getting rid of them, but if they are reprints, then you probably won't get much.
I didn't realise Julia Golding was going to be there. Wow, it keeps getting better.

I imagine there will be quite a lot of people at the Corn Exchange waiting for you and if there's not I'll bring my friend who loves the Imperial books but refuses to read the Darkweaver ones (he's a nutcase).

Unfortunately, my books are reprints, but I did buy them when no-one knew you. If you didn't sign so many books they could be worth a lot more!
Threddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2008, 11:42 AM   #138 (permalink)

Will I have to book tickets to see you in the Corn Exchange?

Also:

My mum manages North Leigh library and she wants to get an author in. I, of course, suggested you. Would you be able to come to North Leigh for a few hours or something and maybe read a chapter of one of your books, or talk about being an author? How much would it cost?

Thanks,
Ed - Threddy
Old 27th July 2008, 06:51 PM   #139 (permalink)
Dragon Writer

Hi, Threddy. Not sure about tickets to the Corn Exchange. Your best bet will be to ring the Witney Waterstones branch and ask. I don't know what the set up for this talk is going to be yet.

As for fees to visit a library - this is negotiable. Most libraries offer a set fee for authors to visit, but if it's a single talk then I'm sure we'll be able to sort something out. I will be happy to talk to her about it, but availability might be an issue depending on when she's looking for me to come. If she drops me a line through the contact page of my website - Contact then we'll see what I can do.
Old 27th July 2008, 07:47 PM   #140 (permalink)
Young Trainee Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threddy View Post
If you didn't sign so many books they could be worth a lot more!
Yeah mark! Stop signing books, I want to make some money! lol, even if you did I wouldn't sell my books!

Shame I dont live near the corn exchange
M@.Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008, 01:15 PM   #141 (permalink)

Ok, Thanks Mark.

The person that is going to help my mum sort this out has gone on holiday for the week but expect an email soo after.

Ed
Old 14th October 2008, 05:07 PM   #142 (permalink)

Unfortunately Mark, they want an adult author in the library first, and will consider you later on if it is successful. I tried to persuade them that adults read your books but unfortunately to no avail.
Old 14th October 2008, 06:56 PM   #143 (permalink)
Dragon Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threddy View Post
Unfortunately Mark, they want an adult author in the library first, and will consider you later on if it is successful. I tried to persuade them that adults read your books but unfortunately to no avail.
Thanks for trying, Threddy. Much appreciated.
Old 19th October 2008, 12:30 AM   #144 (permalink)

Here's a question I wanted to ask at your book signing, but (and wait for the irony considering my writing delusions) I couldn't find the words.

Do you have any regrets about being a genre writer? Have you ever written anything other than fantasy, and do you think you'd be able to sell it to a publisher if you did?

I don't know if this is the sort of question I should be asking, so please feel free to ignore me, but it just seems wrong to me that authors seem to have the least freedom in their art which is at odds with the liberating nature of writing.
Writers Blocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2008, 01:29 PM   #145 (permalink)
Dragon Writer

Sorry Writers Blocked, it took me a while to notice this.

No, I have no regrets about being a genre writer. I've always loved fantasy (particularly heroic fantasy) so I have no problems with being branded this way. I've only written one story outside of this genre, which was the short SF story published in the anthology, Time Pieces.

I have ideas for books in other genres. Whether I ever get them published - who knows? It will certainly be more difficult to get something published in a different field to the one I'm known for. More importantly I'd have to get the time to write them first! Life is pretty busy.
Old 29th October 2008, 01:23 AM   #146 (permalink)

Hi Mark, thanks for replying. After I wrote it I was instantly concerned that it wasn't the sort of thing you should ask a writer.

Of course, now that you've been so polite, I simply HAVE to ask the follow-up question(s).

Other than science fiction and fantasy, what genres do you enjoy reading most?

Yeah, unfortunately I have a million questions in me
Writers Blocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2008, 11:17 AM   #147 (permalink)
Dragon Writer

No problem, Writers Blocked. That is what this thread is all about, after all.

What genres do I like, well it would be easier to tell you what I don't like! I'm not a fan of the biography genre, nor do I read much on sports, personal well-being or gardening! However, I'll have a go at most things. I read a smattering of books from all over the bookshop shelves, but definitely tend towards fiction rather than non-fiction. I don't read so much horror, but I like thrillers, historical fiction, spy stories, murder/mysteries, have never really explored the crime shelves, (but wouldn't rule them out) ... basically if it's been recommended and it looks interesting, I'll normally be willing to give it a go. It's finding time for all these books that's difficult.
Old 27th November 2008, 10:24 PM   #148 (permalink)

I realise it's a rather trivial question compared to previous ones, but I've always wondered how you pronounced Femke's name? It's been a source of great debate between myself and my friend. Is it said Fem-kee, or is it just as if it was written 'Femk'?
As said before, I realise it's rather odd - and possibly extremely stupid. Anyone else here ever wondered, or is it just us not realising the obvious?
zombiehop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 11:45 PM   #149 (permalink)
Dragon Writer

Hi Zombiehop and welcome to Chronicles. Femke is actually a Dutch name and so, rather like in German, you pronounce all the letters. Fem-ker is the correct pronounciation, but does it really matter? I've heard lots of variations, but each can be correct to the individual reader. I first heard the name when I signed a book for someone called Femke in a bookshop in Cheltenham. I asked her if she would mind me calling one of my characters by that name ... and now she has her own series.

She is who she is to you.
Old 30th November 2008, 06:26 AM   #150 (permalink)
Trying to Write

Hey Mark, I was wondering if the Imperial series [not sure what its called, saw it at the library] is the only series you've written? if it isn't, and you have others. Which series do you think is best to read first?

Also, at the school I attend there is a poster in our library of your book Imperial Traitor. And thats in Australia!
AlexM is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: