Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > General > Introductions

Introductions Introduce yourself here and be officially welcomed!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st October 2008, 02:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Disremembered

Hi there

Hi everyone

I'm new here, and expect to find a whole bunch of people sharing my addiction to fantasy stories.

I live in Switzerland, therefore my native language is swiss-german. However my education/ choice of profession requires english skills. Moreover I love the english language, which also led to my habit reading almost everything in english not in german. This went so far, that I came to dislike reading books written / translated to german. Anyhow, what I want to say is, that if ever it should happen that my english is not 100%, ascribe it to the fact it isn't my first language or feel free to point it out.

My favourite writers are: Robin Hobb, Mercedes Lackey, Fiona McInosh, Sara Douglass, Jennifer Fallon, Tamora Pierce, Trudi Canavan,...

I'm always looking for new reading material. I'm sure I will find the one or other recommendation for good fantasy here.
Lysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2008, 03:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
resident pedantissimo

Re: Hi there

Gruetzi

Ce n'est pas du tout evident qu'un habitant de la Suisse parle schwiizerteutsch

Some of us have made different choices.

Wilcommen none the less to this centre of wisdom and learning; where do you get your books? I now tend to wait for my annual visits to the family, since Genf, despite its large anglophone population, is extremely restricted in choice of English language books.

More fantasy than SF, I see. In keeping with the distribution of the site.

Ah, yes, the sense of humour is not aligned with the inhabitants the other side of the rösigraben (unless you hail from Basle, verliecht?); don't panic; very few here bite, and most of the strange conversation is actually harmless, despite how it sounds to start with. The main problems generated are lack of sleep, an excess of time passed here, and a mild sense of bemusement about how much more there is to read.

Enjoy
chrispenycate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2008, 03:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Disremembered

Salut!

Je suis si désolée, j'ai oublié les suisse romande, mais je crois nous sommes en surnombre, et voilà c'est pourquoi... Just kidding.

I live near Basel, I was born there and just finished my studies at the University of Basel.

Thanks for the welcome, I'm hoping to find a lot of funny and open minded people around here.

And yep, more fantasy and no sf... But I'm always open to new things

ETA: I order my books over bookshops like Bider&Tanner or Thalia. Requires however that you know what you want. So I have to look for new books somewhere else. But now and then, they have something new in their shelves, if your lucky. I mean I should be already grateful they actually have a certain number of english Fantasy books in their shops.

Last edited by Lysalis; 21st October 2008 at 03:39 PM.
Old 21st October 2008, 06:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Can I be a cactus?

I'm a fantasy man myself, and make no mistake, my avatar is rather misleading. I'm not a girl.

But welcome to Chrons, hope you enjoy your stay. Oh, and if there's any kind of barnyard animal, like a cow, asking you for directions to the moon, don't bother answering him. He'll find his way on his own.
Karn Maeshalanadae is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2008, 07:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Disremembered

Hi Manarion

What kind of fantasy do you like? What have you read so far?

Thanks for the welcome. I'll try to remember then... speaking cow - ignore - helps itself to the moon. I think I can keep that.

I saw on your profile, that you're from Oregon. Cool. How is it there?
Old 21st October 2008, 07:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Can I be a cactus?

I have to say, I'm kind of semi-traditionalist in fantasy. I've enjoyed the LotR books a bit, and I've read a lot of Terry Brooks, but my two favorite authors are David Eddings and Piers Anthony.
Karn Maeshalanadae is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2008, 03:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

Hello and welcome my fellow Swiss!...

My father is Swiss from near the Jurer mountains in Canton Berne but moved to Australia more than 50 years ago, his mother tongue being French. I'm an Aussie but have Swiss citizenship and have lived in Zurich.

I do speak German as a second language....aber viel mehr Hochdeutsch als Schweizer Deutsch!

Tschuss!

P.S. Vorsicht! Those Basil Weavers can be a bit dangerous I've been told... Hmmm.then again those Berners can be quite slow (langsam) nicht wahr?....
GOLLUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2008, 08:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
Fool

Welcome!

My grandfather is Swiss, from Adliswil, he moved to Australia over 50 years ago as well and his mother tongue was Swiss-German. I have a Swiss passport, but I've never been there .
Hilarious Joke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2008, 08:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
Outta sight

Hi Lysalis - not Swiss myself (half English/half Irish - so I beat myself up a lot!) but I reckon your English is far better than most, um, English people.

Anyway, welcome to the Chrons. I love Robin Hobb too and Terry Pratchett comes a close second - two very diverse fantasy writers. Many others, but at the moment they don't jump to mind. Enjoy your time here.
SpaceShip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2008, 10:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lady of Autumn

Welcome, Lysalis. It's always good to see new faces around here.
Talysia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2008, 12:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
Disremembered

Whoa, a lot of swiss and half-swiss here

Hi Gollum: German is an awful language, isn't it? Viel zu kompliziert, ausserdem hört es sich so unkultiviert an im Vergleich zu Englisch, Schweizerdeutsch sowieso, da Bauernsprache *lol*
I hope to find a Ph.D. position in Zürich. Zürich würde also meine neue Heimat werden, wenn alles klappt. Drück mir die Daumen

Hilarious Joke: You should visit Switzerland once, it's a nice enough, little and safe country. We have some fairly beautiful and diverse landscapes, too. And not to forget the chocolate...

Space Ship: Terry Prachett, hmm? I've never read any of his books. But a lot of people read the books. I'll have to give it a go sooner or later, haven't I? A friend of mine even gave me two books, but they are in german, so...
Old 23rd October 2008, 08:07 AM   #12 (permalink)
The Wicked Sword Maiden

Greetings and Welcome to The Chronicles, Lysalis

I myself am an neutralised Aussie from Britain

Love fantasy myself and especially those written by Robin Hobb, Mercedes Lackey, Fiona McInosh, Sara Douglass, Jennifer Fallon.

I'm sure your choice of reading will soon expand now you have entered the Hallowed Halls, Corridors, Threads and Basements.
Rosemary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2008, 08:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Disremembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosemary View Post

Love fantasy myself and especially those written by Robin Hobb, Mercedes Lackey, Fiona McInosh, Sara Douglass, Jennifer Fallon.
You're favourite writers coincide with mine, cool, somebody with the same taste in the fantasy world Wanna be my best new friend?

Did you read The Obsidian trilogy of Mercedes Lackey and James Mallory? I loved the story, particularly the elves . Currently I'm reading a sequel of it, set a thousand years later.
Old 24th October 2008, 08:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
Aye fur Alba

Hi and welcome aboard. Don't mind Freda, she's just making friends. If it helps, think of her as a big, friendly dog with too many legs.
The Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2008, 04:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
Certified Space Monkey

Hello and Welcome to Chrons!
Dr.Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote

« Sci fi fan | Hi. »
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: