Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > General > Sport

Sport Sports forum for discussion of sports, sporting events, and sporting activities.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 30th October 2008, 04:24 AM   #61 (permalink)
Where matter vanishes...

Re: Football (american football to those across the pond!)

It does, Cul, and you have to watch out for that thinking regarding KC and Detroit. While I've remarked often about the Skin's penchant for playing down to an opponent, the Lions were leading the Skins thru much of last week's game....still, .500 is a good thing, and a bit of a tear over the next 3 weeks could set you up nicely....

What do you think about Ted Kittrel getting fired? Having had to live under the Norv, I think Wigg's Chargers needed to go a little farther than just getting rid of the defensive coordinator (although they ARE atrocious on defense right now, giving up something like 25 points a game on the average....sorry Wiggs!)...
Grimward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2008, 05:18 AM   #62 (permalink)
Keep Moving Forward!

As a Saints fan, I don't think I'm really in a position to comment about another team's defense! Excluding the Oakland game, we've not been all that stunning in that regard - we're actually only a whisker under twenty-five points allowed a game, as well. There've been some promising signs, though, so with luck we'll improve on that from here on in...
Culhwch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2008, 04:52 PM   #63 (permalink)
This world is not my home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimward View Post

The 2nd half of the regular season is upon us. The tundra is freezing in Green Bay, New England and Buffalo, the wind has begun to howl in DC, Philly, Chicago, and New York, and the play-off picture will begin to establish itself. For perspective, only a handful of 8-8 teams have snuck in as a wild card, while only once (I think!) has a 10-6 team failed to make the play-offs......
Well, the second half of the season is not here for all of the teams. Here's the scary thing for anyone 4 and 4 at the half way point. Four and four means that anything less than 5 and 3 the next half is as good as dead. While 6 and 2 is nearly a guarantee. With the NFL, a bounce here or there, and footballs are notorious for their bounces, just ask the Vikings last week --- Get away from that punt!!! --- will make the difference in about half to 2/3's of the games. With a 4 and 4 record you cannot deal with much in the way of a fluky loss.
Parson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 01:49 AM   #64 (permalink)
Where matter vanishes...

Ah, but 4 and 4 looks pretty darn good to those who are 3 and 5 or, if they haven't quite made it halfway yet, 3 and 4. Nothing worse than reaching the halfway point and realizing that you have to pretty much run the table AND get some help to get into the post-season....
Old 31st October 2008, 04:57 AM   #65 (permalink)
The Immortal Prince

7 - 0 is pretty good (and watch us lose this week now that I said that).
Cayal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 05:06 AM   #66 (permalink)
Where matter vanishes...

Yes, but the Titans have been in the situation Parson, Cul and I are discussing in the past, oh King of the Hill.

*Checks Schedule*

Hmmm, Green Bay comes a-visiting, Rodgers is back but not 100%...well, it's not an easily-beaten foe, but it's also not like the Giants just showed up on your doorstep, either....
Old 31st October 2008, 04:11 PM   #67 (permalink)
This world is not my home

Quote:
Yes, but the Titans have been in the situation Parson, Cul and I are discussing in the past, oh King of the Hill.

*Checks Schedule*

Hmmm, Green Bay comes a-visiting, Rodgers is back but not 100%...well, it's not an easily-beaten foe, but it's also not like the Giants just showed up on your doorstep, either....
In fact, even if it was the Giants, I would favor the Titans by a touchdown at home, a field goal on the road. Or... my better handicapping technique says, Tenn. is 2 turnovers better than the Giants at home, 1 on the road.

Prediction: Titans 24, Packers 14
Parson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2008, 04:47 AM   #68 (permalink)
vast and cool

Quote:
To be sure, Joja, and a win is a win. Mind your tags (or lack thereof!), just in case you need to begin posting hot and heavy.
Roger that.

Quote:
The 2nd half of the regular season is upon us. The tundra is freezing in Green Bay, New England and Buffalo, the wind has begun to howl in DC, Philly, Chicago, and New York, and the play-off picture will begin to establish itself. .
And the wet season has begun at Qwest Field. Now the crowd actually gets loud.

Who's Philly fan in here?

May McNabb slip and pull a groin this weekend!
jojajihisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2008, 01:33 PM   #69 (permalink)
Keep Moving Forward!

Now we don't wish injury on opposition players, joja. That's not playing nice...

This is an awesome ad:

Old 1st November 2008, 02:17 PM   #70 (permalink)
Keep Moving Forward!

And just so that David Fincher doesn't feel left out:

Old 1st November 2008, 02:52 PM   #71 (permalink)
Where matter vanishes...

I like both of them too, Cul.

No Philly fan (yet), Joja, but with the Phils having won the Series, one's bound to show up sooner or later (spillover effect, you know...). Then again, while Philly fans of course are found elsewhere, I'm not sure I've even run into anyone from PA here in the Chrons yet...
Old 2nd November 2008, 07:34 AM   #72 (permalink)
Where matter vanishes...

Relief for Monty in the form of Dante Culpepper coming out of retirement to QB the Lions? Well, he's got receivers to throw to, but he must need the money; only Clovis' 49ers have given up more sacks in the NFC.

As Monday Night Football precedes Tuesday's Elections, we'll all get to listen to the candidates (taped, apparently) during the game. Not sure this is a good thing (if they haven't gotten their message across by now, how exactly is a watered-down version of it crammed into 2 minutes going to change anything?). Also, the outcome of the Skins' game seems to be a dead-on predictor of who will win the election: When the Redskins win the game immediately preceding the election, the party in power remains in power. When they lose, the opposite party wins the presidency. If the polls are to be believed, I guess I'm staring at a loss on Monday Night....
Old 2nd November 2008, 08:54 AM   #73 (permalink)
Keep Moving Forward!

That's looking like it's going to be a hell of a game, too, Grim. I'll be keeping track of it at work on Tuesday for sure.

Seeing as how my Saints are sitting this week out, I'll be behind my newly adopted second team, the mighty St Louis Rams, against the Cards...
Old 2nd November 2008, 09:30 AM   #74 (permalink)
Fortiter et recte!

My Jets are shufflin' off, shufflin' off to Buffalo...should be a close one...
pyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2008, 05:10 PM   #75 (permalink)

For while now I've been reading this "Football (american football to those across the pond!)" and "Football (soccer to those across the pond!)" with just a glance at the title as if they were the same thread and been very confused. Now it makes a lot more sense. I still might be missing something, though - is this just a general NFL discussion for anyone to get in on or are there conventions I'm missing?
J-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
49ers, broncos, cowboys, falcons, football, jets, nfl, packers, panthers, patriots, playoffs, ravens, redskins, saints, seahawks, sport, steelers, superbowl, texans, titans, vikings

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: