Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > General > Sport

Sport Sports forum for discussion of sports, sporting events, and sporting activities.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 14th November 2008, 04:40 PM   #136 (permalink)
Foxy Lady

Re: Football (american football to those across the pond!)

That was a tough loss for the Pats. Altough I am liking the rookie Jerod Mayo, he seems to be doing pretty well for us so far this season.

Oh well, there's always next we I guess. Hopefully we can stop the Wildcat offense of the Dolphins this time around.
Lady of Winterfell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2008, 10:56 PM   #137 (permalink)
Where matter vanishes...

Given that others have since (you were the first to face it, if memory serves), I'm sure Belichik will not only have plans for stopping it, but even exploiting it by the time next weekend rolls around, milady!
Grimward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2008, 03:09 AM   #138 (permalink)
The Immortal Prince

Somebody stop us.
Cayal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2008, 03:14 AM   #139 (permalink)
Keep Moving Forward!

We'd oblige, but sadly we don't meet you this year...

You might get pushed next week, and watch out for the mighty Lions the week after. They're due a win.
Culhwch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2008, 04:56 AM   #140 (permalink)
The Immortal Prince

I think the Jets will be our first loss. They always play us well. I said it a few weeks ago they'd be the first loss...though our first half was pushing that prediction.
Old 17th November 2008, 06:08 AM   #141 (permalink)
Keep Moving Forward!

I only kept track via NFL.com, but it looked like your defense was a brick wall in the second half. Everytime I flicked over Jacksonville were going three and out.
Culhwch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2008, 06:14 AM   #142 (permalink)
Where matter vanishes...

Why, oh why, does Portis decide to be 70% and Campbell become interception-prone for Dallas, at home of all places? Grrrr, I HATE night games. We almost never do well (unless it's a Super Bowl), and I always wish I'd gone to sleep instead!

Well, no longer in the driver's seat for the wild card; have to earn it now.

*Thinks unprintable thoughts*
Old 17th November 2008, 07:39 AM   #143 (permalink)
The Immortal Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culhwch View Post
I only kept track via NFL.com, but it looked like your defense was a brick wall in the second half. Everytime I flicked over Jacksonville were going three and out.
It was a tale of two halves in that game.
Old 17th November 2008, 02:02 PM   #144 (permalink)
Bearly Believable

With that win over the Redskins (), and at 6-4, Dallas is no longer propping up their division.

Ursa major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2008, 10:18 PM   #145 (permalink)
This world is not my home

Well, the Vikings fell from a two way tie for the top, to a three way tie for the top at {drum roll please} 5 wins and 5 losses. Ah, mediocrity thou art a putrid jewel. The Vikes now need 5 and 1 or maybe could skinny by with a 4 and 2, but wouldn't bet on it.
Parson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2008, 12:15 AM   #146 (permalink)

The first 50 minutes, Dallas played about as poorly as they'd been playing (though the defense managed to play well enough to keep it close) but a Martellus Bennett touchdown reception got the lead, a Newman defensive play got the ball back, and Marion Barber carried 10 times and caught once on eleven consecutive plays in a nearly-seven-minute drive and just could not be stopped, including going for it on 4th and 1 to finish the game. I couldn't be happier - perhaps an ugly win overall but the last ten minutes of the game (and part of the game earlier on the defensive side) were just how it was meant to be. Jay Ratliff sacks, DeMarcus Ware sacks, Terence Newman picks, and Marion Barber rushes.

'Course, I was happy after the Buc game, too, and look what happened next. So I'll have to cross my fingers and hope we actually take advantage of what has to be technically the easiest part of the entire schedule. And maybe Felix Jones will be healthy soon, too.

But, given what the Giants are doing, it looks like, Cowboy, Redskin, or Eagle fans, we're not competing with them any more, but just with the rest of the runners-up in the conference for those wild card spots.

Incidentally, ever since Dallas beat Pittsburgh in a Super Bowl and I was able to exorcise some ghosts, I've been able to enjoy Steelers football. How about Polamalu's interception and later near-touchdown? And the first ever 11-10 game. And in the snow. I loved it. If I could take one player in the league for Dallas, I think I'd take him, though that'll never happen.
J-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2008, 02:21 AM   #147 (permalink)
The Immortal Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parson View Post
Well, the Vikings fell from a two way tie for the top, to a three way tie for the top at {drum roll please} 5 wins and 5 losses. Ah, mediocrity thou art a putrid jewel. The Vikes now need 5 and 1 or maybe could skinny by with a 4 and 2, but wouldn't bet on it.
Could lose Jared Allen, Pat Williams and Kevin Williams to suspension...
Old 18th November 2008, 04:50 AM   #148 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parson View Post
The Vikes now need 5 and 1 or maybe could skinny by with a 4 and 2, but wouldn't bet on it.
Or 6-0. I wouldn't be surprised if some 10-6 NFC team this season suffered Cleveland's fate last season. I definitely don't think 9-7 will cut it. Which means even Dallas would need to do 4-2 to have hope. Beating San Fran and Seattle (fingers crossed) and splitting Pittsburgh, NYG, Baltimore and Phillie might not even do it. Not sure about the pure math, matchups, and tiebreakers at this point, though.

The Vikings look good to win at least three of the remainder, but the Arizona, Atlanta, NYG run looks tough, even with the last two at home. Maybe knock off Atlanta but I'm not sure about the other two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayal View Post
'Course, that would probably render the discussion moot.

'Course, I also forgot the 5-5 log jam in the NFC North - all the Vikings have to do is win their division, which they might do at 9-7, but the NFC North is likely only sending one team. To get the wild card spots, it's going to take more than 9-7. Ironically.

Last edited by J-Sun; 18th November 2008 at 05:15 AM. Reason: forgot the main point - and remembered divisional idiosyncrasies
J-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 10:40 AM   #149 (permalink)
Where matter vanishes...

All right, I took the high road after the Skins bested the Boys in Dallas earlier in the season, but no longer.

Against the Steelers, the Redskins offensive line was overmatched (that's a defense). Against the Cowboys, however, they played poorly. Play that game again (which could happen later in the year!) 5 times and the Boys do no better than 3 sacks (which is better than their average before the game), not back-to-back, and no interceptions (Campbell's only been picked 3 times this year....1 percent of his total passes....thanks in no small part to the O line).
Old 19th November 2008, 04:06 PM   #150 (permalink)
This world is not my home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayal View Post
Wouldn't that tear the season! But Jared Allen's hit was both vicious and late, so a suspension would not be surprising. The "Williams Wall" aka "The Williams Wrecking Crew" might be guilty of steroids, but men of their size could also be taking a diet drug for the honest reason. If guilty and punished (4 week suspension) the best Viking defense in years, and any chance of the playoffs, is belly up for sure.
Parson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
49ers, broncos, cowboys, falcons, football, jets, nfl, packers, panthers, patriots, playoffs, ravens, redskins, saints, seahawks, sport, steelers, superbowl, texans, titans, vikings

« Formula 1 - 2014 | - »
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: