Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Aspiring Writers > Workshop

Workshop Writers workshop: challenge yourself and your imagination here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd July 2008, 05:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Maps

I've started drawing maps for my stories as a lot of fantasy authors do. I feel it adds depth to a story and makes it seem more real, and it's just nice to know where things are. Here's one I just did a couple days ago, I think it came out REALLY well

Ranwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 10:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Maps

Nice work. Shows some decent imagination for nothing other than that it looks, "real." My only criticism might be that it looks like it was made for just one story. It probably wouldn't come through in the writing, so it might be nothing to worry about, but fantasy can really come to life if you (both you the reader and you the writer) know there's a whole world going on outside the narrative.
Writers Blocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 11:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
...Prepare Thyself

Call me mister picky but that pond is awfully big or the dotted lines are actually duck feet impressions. Wouldn't Ingra Lake seem better
TheEndIsNigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2008, 09:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
JDP
Never told a lie. Ever.

Nice map! Jezelf did some really good tutorials on here somewhere for mapmaking, if anyone's interested. I can't remember whereabouts, though...
JDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2008, 10:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
jezelf.co.uk

Maps!? did someone say Maps?

Thanks JDP . Yeah there's a thread all about this at:

map creation?

map creation?

which explores various options on map making. The stuff I put up uses Photoshop, which I've done a couple of tutorials Here's the link that might help

but Photoshop may not be to everyone's taste or need. There is also other softwares you can use like...
  • A fractal world generator
  • Something like Terragen , a scenery generator for Windows and the Mac OS. Terragen is free for personal non-commercial use.
  • Also, Campaign Cartographer is aimed at desktop Roleplaying Dungeon Masters for their quest campaign - but it might help create maps for your fantasy novel.
ProFantasy Software - Campaign Cartographer 3 - map making for game, historical and hobby mappers

On this note, it's bee a year since I did the last tutorials, I might actually finally have time to complete the others. Apologies to anyone waiting for those. I'll see if I can do at least one this week.

hope it all helps
Jez
jezelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2008, 01:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fool

Cool map Ranwolf! I would highly recommend Jezelf's tutorials, they are excellent (not that your map is bad!).

I don't think you should use Kelewan as the name of a city, considering it's the name of a world in Feist's Riftwar books. However, the other city names are good, I particularly like Taeir.
Hilarious Joke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 01:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lord of Science

It's good, but I'd say its too simple. I've drawn literally thousands of maps, and they come out much better if you spend a lot of time drawing a lot of detail, etc. Look at JRR tolkiens middle-earth map
Naryaló S dú is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 02:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tennis-ball Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezelf View Post
but Photoshop may not be to everyone's taste or need. There is also other softwares you can use like...
  • Something like Terragen , a scenery generator for Windows and the Mac OS. Terragen is free for personal non-commercial use.
  • Also, Campaign Cartographer is aimed at desktop Roleplaying Dungeon Masters for their quest campaign - but it might help create maps for your fantasy novel.
ProFantasy Software - Campaign Cartographer 3 - map making for game, historical and hobby mappers
Wohooo! Someone else recommends Terragen! I've been singing its praises for ages, but no one seems bothered. I've also tried Campaign Cartographer, but I didn't like it.

Anyway, some of my Terragen samples, in case anyone wants to try their own:

Leisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 02:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tennis-ball Robin

Hope no one minds the double post.

And, since they were the lowest quality of render, here's some at a higher setting:

See? Terragen is great for creating your world in 3D.
Old 12th July 2008, 02:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tennis-ball Robin

As for Ranwulf's map, I agree with the other comments. It's good as an initial layout, but you need to add more detail. Here is one (tiny, since I'm not posting it full size!) map I created for my world a couple of years ago, and I've yet to add and label the major settlements on it:

(I tried several colour variations, including some not shown here, before sticking with the grey one.)

Old 12th July 2008, 07:26 AM   #11 (permalink)
...Prepare Thyself

I certainly didn't mind the double post Leisha. I was mightily impressed. however you did forget the duck feet impressions.

Truthfully Leisha, I was stunned. Did it take you long or was it something you just whipped up over a bowl of cream.
TheEndIsNigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 10:51 AM   #12 (permalink)
Fool

I'm also quite gobsmacked by both the images and the maps.

Those maps have got me all inspired. I really want to read about your world now Leisha!
Hilarious Joke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 02:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
jezelf.co.uk

hey these are great, Leisha!

I've not actually used Terragen yet - got Mojo World creator and haven't used it either - not enough time! - but I like your results. Bryce 5.5 is also available for free.

The Cool thing about using these kind of programs is that it help immerse yourself into the world you create. You can do just as Leisha has - create a 2d map and also the 3d world. Then you could stick your 3d renders to areas you this suits parts of your2d map - as well as doing this with photos you can find on the web.

I'm taking all this a step further with 3d packages - like Maya and 3DS Max, or a Free Noncommercial product - one of which is the Maya P.L.E (Maya is the premier 3D software used by design industry , film companies. Game Companies use either Maya or Max )

Bryce is another tool for environments and there's a free version in the above link.

(BTW that above site was the first I came across while typing in 'free 3D software' in Google - it's got a some great SFF illustrations on it for your desktop. However some of the links from it seemed suspect. something tried to down load itself. dunno what it was and stopped it, but I don't trust it 100% )

with a 3D package imagine now being able to build your ideas for castles and towns in 3d - make them come to life. I'm doing this with one of my locations the more I work on it, the more I think abut possibilities with in - where would the king live? where would the guard room be? the people of importance down to the common folk? would their location have a bearing of them appearing in a scene in the story? what is the architectural influences and how does that reflect on the culture of your people? You can get a camera in there and be in amongst it.- it all helps

Before long, you'll have built up loads of references to know your world even more. Describing it then because that more easier for writing because it's there in front of you.

...also when Hollywood comes knocking (well Peter Jackson ) you can show them all this stuff to their art department!

Last edited by jezelf; 12th July 2008 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12th July 2008, 04:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
Press "X" to Admire Hat.

Location: [I am a spambot, selecting the default option - ban me!]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezelf View Post
with a 3D package imagine now being able to build your ideas for castles and towns in 3d - make them come to life. I'm doing this with one of my locations the more I work on it, the more I think abut possibilities with in - where would the king live? where would the guard room be? the people of importance down to the common folk? would their location have a bearing of them appearing in a scene in the story? what is the architectural influences and how does that reflect on the culture of your people? You can get a camera in there and be in amongst it.- it all helps
Just to add something to Jez's post, particularly the part about building locations like castles and towns, a program I keep plugging in Tea Rooms and a few threads here and there is Google Sketchup - an extremely easy program to pick up, yet at the same time a very powerful program in which you can amazing things (plus there's the added bonus that there are a few of us in the Tech forum that use the program so can help whenever help is needed).
Lenny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 08:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
jezelf.co.uk

Bryce did have a free version on their website but sinced removed however you can still find it on the web : Bryce5FreeVersion

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: