Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > General > Technology

Technology Technology forums for all aspects of technology, hardware, software, computers, and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd July 2008, 05:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
Foxy Lady

Exclamation Re: July Photo Challenge - Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culhwch View Post
I'd argue that Photo of the Day isn't really a part of the challenge, myself, but otherwise I'm happy to see how things go...
Alrighty, now I'm very confused I thought in the Dark Room thread you said thats what the Photos of the Day thread was for?? Ahh, the silly internet and these misunderstandings. I probably just read your post wrong.

Well, I've been thinking about what you said anyway Cul, and I have decided to change things a little. Lets make this thread the 'discussion' type thread you mentioned, but you can also post pics here that you take for the challenge. You can post as many photos as you want that have to do with the challenge and then everyone can discuss them, ask how you took them, and ask any questions about the challenge in general. Then at the end of the month, perhaps on the 25th or something, I'll post a 'July Photo Challenge Vote' thread or something similar where you can post *only* your 2 submittals and then your vote for best/favorite picture. Then we will have only this thread and that thread for the challenge, and like you mentioned, you can see the pics submitted without any chatter between them.

Unfortunately, I can't edit my first post in this thread to reflect these changes. I don't know if thats something a mod can do for me or not. So if not, here are the changes:

*** Rules Change ***

- You can post as many pictures as you want in this thread related to the challenge theme
- Use this thread for discussion of the challenge and any pictures posted here
- At the end of the month a new thread will be started that will be only for your 2 pictures submitted and for voting

*** End rules change ***
Lady of Winterfell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2008, 05:34 PM   #17 (permalink)
'what to eat' fan

Re: July Photo Challenge - Blue

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01 Painting of Jacklyn Wearing a Blue Wig.JPG (16.5 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg 02 Painting of June Wearing a Blue Wig.JPG (15.5 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg 4246_ntangled_cross_450.JPG (51.2 KB, 72 views)
HardScienceFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2008, 11:44 PM   #18 (permalink)
Keep Moving Forward!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady of Winterfell View Post
Alrighty, now I'm very confused I thought in the Dark Room thread you said thats what the Photos of the Day thread was for?? Ahh, the silly internet and these misunderstandings. I probably just read your post wrong.
What I meant was that the Photo of the Day thread was set up to display any photos, and mainly to get the shutterbugs to stop spamming the broader Picture of the Day thread. So in that sense, not a part of the challenge as you outlined it. But still, any excess challenge photos could go there, because obviously, it's for photos.

I guess thinking back on it would be better to have a single Photo Challenge thread each month, but try and limit it to the initial post outlining the theme and rules, and beyond that the phtotos and comments about the phtots. Then we could set up a poll at the end of the month.

I'm still for only two photos in the main challenge thread, though. Sorry to have derailed this so, I swear I didn't mean to!
Culhwch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2008, 12:01 AM   #19 (permalink)
Keep Moving Forward!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardScienceFan View Post
Ah, explanation? Are those photographs you took of paintings? Or photos manipulated to look like paintings? Any idea which two you will submit?

Which brings up a good point - photo manipulation. Are we talking straight photography (with, of course, the usual digital fixes), or else full-blown digital art?
Old 4th July 2008, 12:40 AM   #20 (permalink)
Tennis-ball Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culhwch View Post
Ah, explanation? Are those photographs you took of paintings? Or photos manipulated to look like paintings? Any idea which two you will submit?

Which brings up a good point - photo manipulation. Are we talking straight photography (with, of course, the usual digital fixes), or else full-blown digital art?
*cough* Ilene Sova *cough*

This competition is for people to upload their own photos - that's why it's a "photography challenge".

And here's another vote for only two images in this thread. More than that would get clunky. I also like the idea of allowing photos that have been edited or made to look unusual through editing. But not digital art. Digital art makes me think of my Wacom Graphire tablet...

Oh, and what happens if two or more people upload the same kind of shot? I swear I took one of my photos on Wednesday (it being Friday today), and I see a similar idea already.... Can I still upload it at the end of the month? (That's when I'm uploading my entries.) You can ask Momo if you don't believe me - Momo was there when I took the shot!
Leisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2008, 01:43 AM   #21 (permalink)
Keep Moving Forward!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisha View Post
*cough* Ilene Sova *cough*

This competition is for people to upload their own photos - that's why it's a "photography challenge".
So it was a caseof not actually reading the first post. Always a good idea.

Quote:
And here's another vote for only two images in this thread. More than that would get clunky. I also like the idea of allowing photos that have been edited or made to look unusual through editing. But not digital art. Digital art makes me think of my Wacom Graphire tablet...

Oh, and what happens if two or more people upload the same kind of shot? I swear I took one of my photos on Wednesday (it being Friday today), and I see a similar idea already.... Can I still upload it at the end of the month? (That's when I'm uploading my entries.) You can ask Momo if you don't believe me - Momo was there when I took the shot!
I don't see an issue if two people upload the same kind of shot. I'll just vote for the better one! And I can't see an issue with waiting till the end of the month to upload your shots. Better to wait and see if you take a better one. I'm of the mind, though, that we should only post our offiicial entries once, in the voting thread. Otherwise we might gain an unfair advantage - say I post five possible photos in PotD, and one of them gets amazing responses (hypothetically - won't ever happen), of course I'm going to post that one for the challenge.

And on voting - best to make it a public poll, as well, so that we can see if people are voting for their own shots. Not that I'm saying anyone will, but best to remove that temptation altogether, I thiink.

Wow, this thread has gotten pretty long without any actual entries...
Old 4th July 2008, 01:57 AM   #22 (permalink)
Fool

Does the winner get anything?
Hilarious Joke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2008, 02:25 AM   #23 (permalink)
Keep Moving Forward!

Er, bragging rights. Unless you want to supply a monthly prize, HJ? A hundred dollar voucher to the winner's preferred photography emporium, perhaps? Very generous of you to offer!
Old 4th July 2008, 02:54 AM   #24 (permalink)
Fool

Very generous indeed! I can hardly believe how generous I am!

*pulls collar nervously*

Hmm, I am going to think on this and try and think of a half decent prize.
Old 4th July 2008, 02:57 AM   #25 (permalink)
wandering

keep in mind it's a monthly prize
Quokka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2008, 03:42 AM   #26 (permalink)
Fool

Hey Quok, how much is postage and handling if you want to send something book-sized (like, for instance, a book) to the UK or the States?
Old 4th July 2008, 03:53 AM   #27 (permalink)
wandering

I think it's about $10 by Sea Mail and then $20-$30 for registered Air Mail. Of course to WA's a lot cheaper .
Quokka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2008, 04:31 AM   #28 (permalink)
Keep Moving Forward!

No, no, no, no, no! No prizes! The recognition of our peers is the only prize required. Besides, it's a challenge, not a contest.
Old 4th July 2008, 05:06 AM   #29 (permalink)
Fool

I'll write a limerick for the winner how's that.
Old 4th July 2008, 05:28 AM   #30 (permalink)
Keep Moving Forward!

Depends how good of a limerick...

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: