Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Authors > Stephen King

Stephen King The Dark Tower series, and other writings

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th January 2010, 12:27 PM   #46 (permalink)
Expensive Gadget User

Re: Under the Dome

The thing about SK is like thatollie said he seems to write shadows into people and situations as they occur therefore feeling more original in his stories, not like Dean Koontz who is definietly way more commercial because he is very formulaic...guy gets chased, hooks up with woman, people die, they kill baddy.
biodroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2010, 12:34 PM   #47 (permalink)

Well I haven't really read Koontz but perhaps I'll read some more of King's novels to see if I can identify with what you are suggesting. I've so far found his earlier work to be better if that makes sense.
GOLLUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 10:37 PM   #48 (permalink)

just read under the dome i think it beat the stand in my opinion
SKfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2010, 06:56 AM   #49 (permalink)
Expensive Gadget User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLLUM View Post
Well I haven't really read Koontz but perhaps I'll read some more of King's novels to see if I can identify with what you are suggesting. I've so far found his earlier work to be better if that makes sense.
His best books are from the first 15 to 20 years of his career but some of his new stuff is gaining quality again.
biodroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 11:37 PM   #50 (permalink)
rai

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKfan View Post
just read under the dome i think it beat the stand in my opinion
not for me, I liked 'The Stand' much beter, I just read Stand 3 months ago and just read 'Under the Dome'

I would put 'dome' in the bottom half of SK books that I have read. That's not to say it's bad, but having read 20+ of his books, this one seems to be more of the same.

I mean it's good but I've seen these guys before (the kids, the bad cops, the good down to earth hero (Stu/Barbie) etc..), however there is no one like Randal Flagg or Trashcan Man, 'the Dome' versions seem to me to be somewhat watered down versions of his earlier characters.

I recomend the dome, just don't expect it to be more than standard plots and characters re-arranged. Like warmed up left-overs (IMO) rarely better than the first time.

I like the genre or idea, town in a bottle, (much like 'Storm of the Century' no?)

Here are the characters we have seen

Trashcan Man = Chef
Stu = Barbie
Flagg = Big Jim
Lloyd = Carter

Kids = Kids from 'It'
Jr Renny = Norman from 'Rose Madder'

Last edited by rai; 16th January 2010 at 11:49 PM.
rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2010, 10:53 PM   #51 (permalink)
Resident Sociopath

Ok, so I'm about 200 pages in at the moment - I'm hoping it gets better. It's not bad, but there are things that bug me. The originality doesn't bother me so much, but the LARGE cast of characters can be a problem here and there. My main gripe is a section I read last night (Part 10, p.166). I may have been tired and not absorbing it properly, but that whole part just felt... rushed, to me and I've noticed it at a few other points as well, that it just feels like it's only a rough draft - the present tense made me back track quite a few times to make sure I was understanding it.

I love King, I just can't help thinking that (at least in this case) he's put something out that a Publisher wouldn't touch if he were a new writer, just because of his Branding. Of course it will sell, it's King - it's just a shame that, at times, it reads like a rough draft.

Of course I'll still read it - and hopefully it gets better - but this will definitely make me pause and think about whether I want to hand over the cash next time he releases a novel.
Brett Howell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2010, 09:23 PM   #52 (permalink)
rai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Howell View Post
it just feels like it's only a rough draft -

I love King, I just can't help thinking that (at least in this case) he's put something out that a Publisher wouldn't touch if he were a new writer, just because of his Branding. Of course it will sell, it's King - it's just a shame that, at times, it reads like a rough draft.

Of course I'll still read it - and hopefully it gets better - but this will definitely make me pause and think about whether I want to hand over the cash next time he releases a novel.
I have to agree. but, I love SK so, if the choice is this or nothing, I'll take this, but it's not showing him as being in full control of such a massive book.

I love a long book and this was good, but (just to me) I would rather have had half the characters but more development on the characters (back-stories) and such.

I don't want to spoil it, but just to me some of the characters seem to have been put in for no good reason, like the old guy Thurston Marshall , that seem like they are redundant (The Character Andrea and her dog could have got cut easily) those pages could have been added to Barbie or Rusty or the kids.

Also (IMO) having two villians seems like having two novels in one. Not necessary (IMO).

To me, I'd wish is was a smaller chunk of people, like "Storm of the Century" which was more manageable IMO.
rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2010, 10:22 PM   #53 (permalink)

I have just finished reading Under The Dome and thought it was his best work since The Black House. It is still not as good as The Stand or Salems Lot, but a great read all the same.

I think King is out their on his own as the storyteller of 'Fairy Tales' for the modern age. His skill, in my opinion, is the strength of his characters and capturing all the little foibles of living in our times.

Not wanting to spoil anything in the story, but I thought the crack smoking scenes towards the end were outstanding.
svalbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2010, 08:51 AM   #54 (permalink)

I really liked this book, got absolutely addicted to it during reading, ended up staying up till 3am to read the last few chapters. Definitely a re-occuring theme with this story and the mist is that the most dangerous horror is arrogance mixed with blind fear (being Mrs Carmody in the Myst and Big Jim Rennie in Under the Dome). Overall great story, kept me addicted right the way through.
lew82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2010, 09:47 PM   #55 (permalink)

I think the most telling statement of this book to me is that though I read it a mere six to eight months ago, I can't remember a single name of single character from the book, though I still remember Danny Glick and Ben Mears from 'Salem's Lot which I last read twenty odd years ago.

p
pariahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2010, 03:17 AM   #56 (permalink)
Kraken Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLLUM View Post
Have you read The Eyes of The Dragon? It's fantasy and pretty good too.
thatollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2011, 04:27 PM   #57 (permalink)
pixie druid

Three quarters of the way through this. For me its up there with the Stand, IT, Insomnia ETC. Much better than Dreamcatcher and Lissey's Story.
nixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 01:59 PM   #58 (permalink)

This is more than likely the next book that I am going to start- like this Monday and I am so looking forward to it. A big book, summertime, stephen king, the only thing that would make it better is if the Spice Girls released a new album! (Okay, I am kidding. Or am I???)
JustPassingThrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 10:53 PM   #59 (permalink)

Spoilers - I'm even gonna go as far as select to read spoilers here

first off... man that was a depressing read. Maybe because the monsters were so real (and so human) - maybe it was because I haven't read a non-Dark Tower King book in years and had forgotten how sadistic he is with his characters but there were times where I only kept going because I had to see it through.

But it also made me feel bad - not sorrow, and still not pity... but guilt maybe? Reading it we were supposed to be appalled by these alien kids burning their ants but as readers we were doing the same; we were being entertained by following the suffering of these people caught under the dome.

Ultimately, though, I'm glad I went on the journey, even if it did take a lot of meandering and ultimately unnecessary detours.

Last edited by Writers Blocked; 3rd August 2011 at 10:58 PM. Reason: trying to improve the select to read colour
Writers Blocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2011, 07:47 PM   #60 (permalink)
is going fishing

All the while I was reading this, I couldn't shake the feeling that mr. King was somehow influenced by the Simpsons movie. D'ome!
Syphon of Oor-Tael is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: