Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Books and Literature > Classic SF&F

Classic SF&F Classic science-fiction authors and books, from the Golden Age to the 1970's.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10th June 2008, 10:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Robert W. Chambers

Author of the King in Yellow,worth everyone's read."The maker of moons" story is also wonderfull,(though I havent goten to any other stories o the colection of the same name),very Chambersian,with THOSE moments,if you know what I mean .I read "the messenger" be recomended,so I'l give it a go.

Anyone know any other of his tales worth a read?His mixing of romance into it kinda makes it hard for them to find.

"Eggs of the Silver Moon" has got to b the bigest disapointment,when,from a
promising title comes the story about hatching bugs and a quarel over eggs ending seeminly brutaly,but then revealed to be jovial,all mixed with a love afair of the narator with a female former private detective . So,stear clear of this one.
Lobolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008, 03:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Robert W. Chambers

Yep, I've got a collection by Chambers. His writing is a little mixed in terms of quality but I did like the title story King In Yellow.

BTW welcome, not sure if we've crossed paths before?

Always nice to see another fan of the classic stuff.
GOLLUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008, 05:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have read The Maker of Moons; a very mixed bag, as were most of Chambers' books. Worth reading, but decidedly uneven. I've also read some of his other tales now and again, though I've yet to get around to reading In Search of the Unknown as it was revised for novel form. ("The Harbor-Master" is one of those tales where I find myself disagreeing with several people whose opinions I respect. A magnificent concept, with some superb moments, but I found the execution overall tended to rob the tale of much of the power it potentially had. Still, many people regard it quite highly, so this one could just be me....)
j. d. worthington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008, 09:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

Hmm.Could you tell me which tales from "The Maker of moons" or possibly "The Tree of Heaven" are worth a read?Ive only read the title novela in the first (how'd you like that,anyway?) and "The carpet of Belshazar" in the second.I heard "Message" and "A pleasent Evening are good".How about "The third eye" ?
Old 11th June 2008, 04:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ooof. I last read Maker of Moons more than 20 years ago, so I'd have to dig out my copy of the book and browse through it a bit to refresh my memory. I do recall quite liking "The Maker of Moons" overall (though the romantic element made me think at times of such pulp writers as Burroughs and Merritt; or perhaps some of the Fu Manchu novels of Sax Rohmer....)
Old 11th June 2008, 04:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

yes,but you have to admit that :"I have seen the shade of Xangi cast across Abbadon-better to die a millon miles from Yezd and Uther Quedah,then to see the white water lotus close its head in the shade of Xangi-I have slept in the ruins of Xaindu where the winds never cease and the Wullwulleh is wailed by the dead" and "Yian lies across the seven oceans and the river,which is longer then from the earth to the moon" have their power.

I think that story deserves far more atention then it got (none).

I could spare you the search and link an australian e-text of the book.
Old 11th June 2008, 09:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Not necessary; it's on my shelf, but buried beneath quite a few other things at the moment, so I'll probably go looking it up after my evening shift....
Old 11th June 2008, 09:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

You read any of the other colection or the Slayer of Souls (HPL said it let him down too) ?
Old 11th June 2008, 09:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

I attempted to. Couldn't get into it at the time. Too much "yellow peril" sort of thing for what I was up to then. I'll likely try again when I reach Chambers in my current reading program. I'm gradually -- along with other things -- reading my way through all the suggestions in SHiL, in order save for a few exceptions; where he simply mentions a writer in general, I've attempted to track down those works which would either fit as weird tales or which are closely enough allied to fit nicely... in most cases (Washington Irving being an exception here, as Lovecraft thought highly of him in general, and I also have found his work, both fiction and otherwise, to be to my taste.) So it's going to be a while before I get around to reading Chambers again....
Old 11th June 2008, 09:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

"my way through all the suggestions in SHiL, in order save for a few exceptions; where he simply mentions a writer in general, I've attempted to track down those works which would either fit as weird tales or which are closely enough allied to fit nicely..."

Im doing the same thing.He could at least make a personal listing/catalogu at the end.

Irving-around here they keep reprinting his HORRIBLE Poe-esque parody ofa ghost story ("the dead bridegroom" or something like that),which kinda made me not respect him that much.Well,they also publish Stocton's HUMOROUS SCI-FI in a horror anthology with Poe and Hawthorne.........

Ps:I have a piece of critique on the Lovecraft circle id like debating,but I need someone to post somewhere apropriate.
Old 11th June 2008, 09:33 PM   #11 (permalink)

Keep in mind that Irving was, primarily, a humorist (as was Cobb, incidentally); his "straight" forays into the weird were few and far between. It was in fact this wry wit that HPL admired with Irving, seeing him as something of an American Addison....

On the piece about the Lovecraft circle you mention... is this a piece you wrote, or something you've read you want to talk about, or....?

And on him making such a catalogue: such would have been completely out of place in the venue in which the essay was originally published -- or, for that matter, just about any other publishing option at that period....
Old 11th June 2008, 09:34 PM   #12 (permalink)

A critique from a comunist era time publication of Bierce's works around here. Shall I make a thread for it ?
Old 11th June 2008, 09:37 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobolover View Post
A critique from a comunist era time publication of Bierce's works around here. Shall I make a thread for it ?
Certainly. It would be interesting to see what was said....
Old 11th June 2008, 09:40 PM   #14 (permalink)

Okay.

Also:I made a few replies ,I'd realy like to talk about The Dark Chamber,Machen and Cram in the Weird thread.
Old 24th July 2008, 03:00 PM   #15 (permalink)

Hmm-so what do you think about the MoM colection again ?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: