Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Books and Literature > Horror

Horror Discuss horror writers and their works

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th May 2008, 04:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
Iago with a Blackberry

Re: Upcoming horror movies

Oh, I agree, the Asian films for the win, as the saying goes. I recently bought the original Ring trilogy in a DVD box set. I love those films. And just before the Easter holidays, I had the house to myself so I watched The Doll Master. Managed to creep me out like no other Hollywood film has been able to. Good stuff.

Don't worry, people, Hoopy's getting rather attracted to the screenplay business -- she'll make sure some proper horror films are made, watch this space

Last edited by HoopyFrood; 29th May 2008 at 04:36 PM.
HoopyFrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2008, 04:34 PM   #17 (permalink)
tiptoe through the tulips

Now I might just watch them. Go Hoopy!

Recommend The Doll Master then? Might try and hunt down a copy.
Momoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2008, 04:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
Iago with a Blackberry

I admit that I wasn't concentrating fully, but I had a feeling that the actual plot wasn't all that extraordinary. But there were some genuinely creepy parts, yes. Dolls aren't all that right anyway, and the ones in the films...regh. Weird, indeed.
Old 29th May 2008, 04:43 PM   #19 (permalink)

Ummm, Hoops... sorry to disillusion you, but the screenwriter is most often the last person to decide what finally goes up on the screen....
j. d. worthington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2008, 04:43 PM   #20 (permalink)
tiptoe through the tulips

@ Hoopy: Heh, you're talking to someone who has a collection of those painted masks - you know, the ones you hang on the wall and they have those empty, cut-outs where the eyes should be?

Apparently they can be 'really quite creepy' but I find them comforting.

On the other hand, perhaps dolls are, since they have glass eyes that stare at you, or clown dolls.

*Shudders*
Momoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2008, 04:44 PM   #21 (permalink)
Iago with a Blackberry

Bah, why would you do that, J.d. Squash all my dreams. And there's me almost having a career decided...

*Big sigh*

Yah, I know. But at least I can write something that will be better than the...well, crap...that comes out of Hollywood. Even if it's fouled up visually on the big screen, the plot will still be there...
Old 29th May 2008, 08:30 PM   #22 (permalink)

There definitely seems to have been a trend for remakes in horror films in the last few years.

Shame most of these remakes don't come anywhere near improving on the original. I saw the remake of The Amityville Horror recently which was poor. The Wicker Man remake was just embarassing. But the worst was the Black Christmas remake. I actually felt hostile towards the people who put that mess together. It was such a lazy, half-hearted retread of tired cliches it was offensive to a discerning horror fan
Barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2008, 10:26 PM   #23 (permalink)
]==[]===O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney View Post
There definitely seems to have been a trend for remakes in horror films in the last few years.

Shame most of these remakes don't come anywhere near improving on the original. I saw the remake of The Amityville Horror recently which was poor.
I actually thought Amytiville was quite good,sometimes they get it right and it was quite scary. Plus they made the babysitter hot
AE35Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2008, 10:59 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AE35Unit View Post
I actually thought Amytiville was quite good,sometimes they get it right and it was quite scary. Plus they made the babysitter hot
Yes, the babysitter was very hot

I agree it had some good scary moments, it probably made me jump more than the original but wasn't as eerie overall. In the original it wasn't really explained why the house was evil apart from some vague guff about an Indian burial ground. The remake had to... SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!

...try and explain it by coming up with the evil priest story that felt like an afterthought. But to be honest the original film was pretty average anyway.
Barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2008, 04:38 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney View Post
But to be honest the original film was pretty average anyway.
I think that's one of the things that gets me most: of recent years, it seems we've seen a spate of remakes of "pretty average" to below average films. Now, that would be fine, if you actually make something worthwhile in doing so, but when you can't even improve on something that's mediocre to begin with... well, let's just say something is very, very wrong here....
Old 30th May 2008, 09:33 PM   #26 (permalink)
]==[]===O

I cant believe theyre doing a remake of Friday the 13th! Come on, have you lot in Hollywood no imagination?
Old 30th May 2008, 09:36 PM   #27 (permalink)
Iago with a Blackberry

I think the recent poor remakes and rehashing shows that, no, they really have not...!

I think that, because it's worked before, they think it will again and that people will pay money to see them again. It's like with the many books that have been turned into films -- because they're already popular, it's practically guaranteed an audience.
Old 30th May 2008, 09:39 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AE35Unit View Post
I cant believe theyre doing a remake of Friday the 13th! Come on, have you lot in Hollywood no imagination?
Pffft! That's nothing! They're doing (or have already done) a remake of It's Alive!!!! Jesu Maria! Are there no depths to which they will not sink????
Old 2nd June 2008, 03:43 AM   #29 (permalink)
Hard Sci-fi Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. d. worthington View Post
Pffft! That's nothing! They're doing (or have already done) a remake of It's Alive!!!! Jesu Maria! Are there no depths to which they will not sink????
Yes, a lousy movie and undeserving of a remake, but it scared the hell out of me when I was a kid. Watched it at a friend's house, then had to sleep on his floor, right on that demon baby's turf! And my friend had to say, "boy that thing moved quick," just before turning out the light.

Thanks for depressing me with news of the Friday the 13th remake. If there's such a thing as a quality slasher flick, that was it. The remake will probably have Jason committing all the mayhem, so as not to run up against the audience's expectations. Can't have that.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2008, 10:19 AM   #30 (permalink)
]==[]===O

HMMM never seen Its Alive I don't think...
As for Friday the 13th well I was never a fan and only watched the first one. I find such one dimensional slasher films laughable! Same with Hellraiser,just so funny. I want to see a real horror movie!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: