Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Publishers & Industry > Publishing

Publishing Questions and answers about the publishing industry, featuring answers from literary agents, publisher writers, and editors.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st July 2008, 09:35 AM   #31 (permalink)

Re: What do publishers prefer?

I entirely agree with Teresa...
John Jarrold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2008, 05:10 PM   #32 (permalink)

So for next piece I should try to stay within a definitive genre? You know, try to be fresh and interesting but not that fresh and interesting that it'll freak the publisher out.
A.Sole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2008, 05:55 PM   #33 (permalink)

Exactly - commercial publishing is just that: commercial. Publishers have to make comparisons with other recently-succcessful authors in the same genre when they present a new writer to the book chains, without whose support the author will fail. So if they see something like a lengthy prose poem, the answer is no. If they see a Fantasy novel that works within the genre as it stands in 2008 and also has its own voice - both clear and pacy - there is a chance they will look upon it positively. Taking all the usual caveats that have been mentioned many, many times on this forum into consideration.
Old 6th July 2008, 02:40 AM   #34 (permalink)

Well yes, now thinking about it my works not of a typically commercial nature. I believe that it's fresh and has the potential for perhaps a 'cult' following. Now I've thought about it I just want it read by as many people as possible. I'm not the greatest capitalist in the world, I have to say and not one for writing something like what the jones have written (writings one of the few freedoms I have). So can you please suggest any sites that display complete works for free or any other ways i can achieve my goal- other than self publishing- for my lack of capitalist ambition tides me over but goes no further.
A.Sole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2008, 08:10 AM   #35 (permalink)

I'll leave that for others to respond to, being very much a mass-market, commercial publisher and agent!

Best of luck!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: