Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Authors > Roger Zelazny

Roger Zelazny Discussion forum on the works and writings of Roger Zelazny, not least the Amber series, Changing Land, Madwand, and standalone works.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th April 2008, 05:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Where matter vanishes...

The Trump You'd Like in Your Deck

Prominent amongst Roger Zelazny's concepts in his two Amber series were the Trumps of Doom. These tarot cards allowed the characters to communicate, travel to, and even deliver objects, spells and other arcane functions to the subject on the card.

If you had the ability to create, Dworkin-like, your own trumps, what would you carry in your deck?

The Rules:

1. Pictures are allowed, but MUST conform to Chrons Rules (especially Term of Use #2 on the rules thread). Redundant, I know, but a little reminder never hurt anyone!

2. No more than 3 trumps per post (although you certainly may choose to post again).

3. Trumps must be people or places. No "concepts", if you please!

4. Use of the trumps to dump matter on the creator of the thread are severely frowned upon, and may be subject to "return to sender" rules!

OK, I'll get it started.

My first trump is a cozy table by the fire with a pint and (What Else? ) a good SFF book, of course!

Grimward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2008, 05:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Where matter vanishes...

Re: The Trump You'd Like in Your Deck

No takers? Oh well, you might as well kill this one too, Teresa! (Is that Damocles sword hovering over the thread?!!! ) I thought for sure there'd be someone out there with a take...
Old 16th April 2008, 12:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'll have a go at this one:
I'd have a trump for a private bungalow on a tropical beach. Warm breezes, plenty of drinks, and all of my books in a Solarium overlooking the ocean.

And a trump to get back home when I needed to...
Bibliophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2008, 06:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Where matter vanishes...

I think we All need those 2 trumps, Bib!
Old 20th April 2008, 08:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
...Prepare Thyself

Easy -

Heaven - Hell

It would save all that messing about in between called life.
TheEndIsNigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2008, 04:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Riding Fenrir

i'd paint a trump of my sweetheart and call her all the time instead of using the cellphone

she's got wavy black hair and cat's eyes
Strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2008, 03:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Where matter vanishes...

Hear hear! (Or maybe that's "Hear here"!)

Excellent Strife, and if you figure out how to do it, make sure you charge the wireless carriers extra on the "dropped transfer" charges for trump calls!

Ah, but it still leaves you with a dilemma, doesn't it TEIN?
Old 24th April 2008, 08:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
...Prepare Thyself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimward View Post
Hear hear! (Or maybe that's "Hear here"!)

Excellent Strife, and if you figure out how to do it, make sure you charge the wireless carriers extra on the "dropped transfer" charges for trump calls!

Ah, but it still leaves you with a dilemma, doesn't it TEIN?
Not so. Both have their attractions. All the interesting people will be in hell and with the heaven card you could have the occassional holiday. Don't forget by the way, and I've never understood this attraction with going to heaven, that if to get into a place you need to follow certain rules and regulations such as no sex, alcohol or enjoying yourself in general. Why would anybody think that after acceptance the rules will change. No an eternity of boredom awaits the 'lucky few'.
Old 26th April 2008, 02:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Where matter vanishes...

Hmm, I see things somewhat differently, but will nevertheless extend kudos on a well thought out pair of trumps as befitting your perspective. Let's hope that Heaven card doesn't experience the "dead" sensation Zelazny wrote about on a few occasions in the 2 Amber series, though! Maybe, in light of that possibility, you'd care to try for a 3rd trump, after all?
Old 26th April 2008, 11:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
...Prepare Thyself

Quote:
... a few occasions in the 2 Amber series, though! Maybe, in light of that possibility, you'd care to try for a 3rd trump, after all?
Now this is news. I confess I stopped reading the amber series and I can't remember why. Probably due to lack of funds back in the mythical days of 'student grants'. However I wasn't aware that there was a second series. I seem to remember a black road upsetting the status quo... It was a long time ago I may have to seek them out for another bash.

A third trump.... mmm let me think......... oh yes - and you'll be needing a bucket NOW!

The chrons network talking to all the wonderful fellow chronies.
Old 30th April 2008, 09:25 PM   #11 (permalink)

OK, two trumps. The first is my bed. The number of times I've been to the pub or a party, am dog-tired and a little drunk, and all I want to do is fall into my own bed but am instead faced with a long walk home, usually in the rain. Secondly, a trump to my own desert island, somewhere with just sea, sand and palm trees - unihabited except for Martin Bremen, who lives there and is always ready to serve me with an ice-cold daiquiri.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2008, 05:37 AM   #12 (permalink)
Where matter vanishes...

*Chuckles at TEIN's and the Snowdog's posts*

The bed! To quote the Guiness commercial, "Brilliant!" Now if we can only find a way to drag the car thru the trump, we won't have to rectify the situation where we walked home thru the rain, only to remember the next morning that we drove to the bar in the first place....(at least we didn't drive home under the influence!).
Old 1st May 2008, 06:52 AM   #13 (permalink)
...Prepare Thyself

Quote:
*Chuckles at TEIN's and the Snowdog's posts*

The bed! To quote the Guiness commercial, "Brilliant!" Now if we can only find a way to drag the car thru the trump, we won't have to rectify the situation where we walked home thru the rain, only to remember the next morning that we drove to the bar in the first place....(at least we didn't drive home under the influence!).
Surely trumping under the influence would be regarded even worse than driving--------------- (sorry, just couldn't resist. I tried, honestly I tried)
Old 2nd May 2008, 04:57 AM   #14 (permalink)
Where matter vanishes...

(And, since we've tossed restraint to the wind....)

Come to think of it, Merlin (again, 2nd series) did trump once or twice when he wasn't "quite right", if I recall correctly, although it wasn't from alcohol. He DID end up somewhere other than he intended, too, so I believe you have a point. New rule: No trumping under the influence...Friends don't let friends trump drunk....take the cards, save a life....oh, well, you get the picture!
Old 2nd May 2008, 10:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
I am not a Malmsteen

Okay, a trump. Onto the boat (I think) at the start of 'Doorways in the Sand' by Roger Zelazny, where the the protagonist sees 'do you smell me dead' written in the clouds (more Rorschasch than magic mirror)
yngvi is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: