Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Authors > Isaac Asimov

Isaac Asimov Discussion board for the works of Isaac Asimov - especially the Foundation and Robot series.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd April 2008, 11:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question Speculation about the ending of Foundation and Earth

I was just thinking about the ending of Foundation and Earth, with the comments/fear of 'something other", i.e. non-humans.
Does anyone know, or have heard any rumours, or even willing to make a guess, about where they think Asimov was heading?
It would be interesting to know if there was a final destination in mind for the entire Foundation/Robots series.
dekket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2008, 01:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
River Crossing

Re: Speculation about the ending of Foundation and Earth

He also says something like: "It's not as if the threat wasn't already there."

I think he may be alluding to some conflict coming from Solaria.
Abyssimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2008, 05:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

my feeling was it was an extension of the fundamental flaw in Hari Seldon's foundation. the worst time the foundations really had was when the Mule showed up. non humans were not taken into consideration. Gaia was proactive, the foundations were reactive.
ghost8772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2008, 04:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Transmural Feline

My guess is the Solarians too, although obviously one can't be sure. On the other hand, the Solarians are isolationists and literally don't care one jot what happens to the rest of the Universe, so they're hardly a threat to the other billions of settled planets.
manephelien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2008, 02:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

I recall at the end of F&E that they did discuss the solarians, but since they were humans, and even the robots made there were designed by humans, that psychohistory would still cover their psychology. don't recall it exactly, but I think it was a final discussion between Golan, Daneel, and maybe the gaian, and the other historian person... the sidekick. the solarian they brought along was not part of the discussion. maybe daneel wasn't either. but I recall that the solarians were brought up. and decided that they were humans despite their changes. of course the characters might be wrong, since becoming asexual is a mutation, and the Mule was defined as a mutant, but hey.
Old 8th April 2008, 09:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Transmural Feline

I think they decided in favor of Galaxia in order to protect human civilization from any other intelligent species from another galaxy. Apparently there aren't any in ours, in the Foundation series.
Old 9th April 2008, 04:25 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manephelien View Post
I think they decided in favor of Galaxia in order to protect human civilization from any other intelligent species from another galaxy. Apparently there aren't any in ours, in the Foundation series.

Including humans? lol
Old 16th April 2008, 05:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Transmural Feline

Well... Maybe I should've said sentient. You can be sentient and incredibly unintelligent.
Old 6th March 2009, 11:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

(hopefully no spoiler in here)

I loved the ending of that book,... especial the last lines of feeling the others eyes staring back at him.

awesome

J
jeff.s.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2009, 12:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
הדרךקפיצת

I actually just started re-reading this book last night. I havent read it since the early 90's or so, but my recollection is that the fear was from extra-galactic aliens too. Remember in Foundation's Edge Asimov tied into the Foundation stories the Eternal's tales? They were the ones who searched all possible universes and settled on that one because in it the Milky Way was free from 1)planets that had a complex ecosystem that 2)had intelligent races on them? The threat that they were worried about then, and justification to Trevize for having picked Galaxia, was that from outside the galaxy aliens would come.
Omphalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2009, 09:05 AM   #11 (permalink)

What Golan probably feared was Daneel merging with the solarian child to form some sort of a superbeing, unrestrained by the three laws and in possession of superior mental powers unmatched even by Gaia.
McAbru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 05:52 AM   #12 (permalink)

uh, daneel hasn't been constrained by the three laws in 20 millenia, he superceded then in Robots and Empire. the solarian child he was basically going to grab the brain and reprogram it for the laws and his memories. at least thats what I thought was happening when I read it. he was going to use the kid's mind to extend the capabilities of his brain a few more centuries so he could finish the (lol) foundation of galaxia.
Old 27th October 2009, 11:12 AM   #13 (permalink)
Science fiction fantasy

takeover by robots?
Casspar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2010, 07:42 AM   #14 (permalink)

I would have to say Asimov was alluding to the threat posed by non-human intelligences, because he did say that. Psychohistory cannot deal with that any more than it could deal with the Mule.
Scifi fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 02:16 PM   #15 (permalink)

Question Re: Speculation about the ending of Foundation and Earth

I just finished F&E today and am very disturbed and confused by the ending. All along the "future history", the reader experiences various social (psycho) mechanisms used by rulers, groups, (and a few "isolates"), and shown the benefits, problems, and ultimately the demise of each mechanism.

It seemed to me that over and over, the individual thinking of Trevize had demonstrated the holes in a unified galaxy under Gaian social order, so I don't understand how Trevize just gives into this Daneel as the correct (or even best) path for the future. I was not convinced. I know he wanted someone else to hold the responsibility for "humanity", but to hand it over to Daneel?

The extolled instincts of Trevize, were usually very much in line with my feelings (encouraged by the mind of Asimov?), but at the end my instincts were not assuaged, while it seemed Trevize was at peace with his delivery of the future to Daneel and the Gaian Galaxia which would obliterate the individual from humanity and remove the uncertainty caused by individual thought.

Is this the intention? That I should be left wanting? It seems every prior book was quite complete, and this one tried with the dicussion to wrap everything up, but either I totally missed the point, or the point was indeed to leave me confused (and quite disturbed.)

Can anyone point me to any discussions of the end with I. Asimov, the master or my future sanity? Am I accursed to a "search for [my] Earth"?

lo tovli
tovli is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: