Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Film & TV > Featured Films > Terminator

Terminator The Terminator, T2: Judgement Day, T3: The Rise of the Machines, and T4: Salvation.
And the Chronicles of Sarah Connor tv series.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14th March 2008, 12:11 AM   #46 (permalink)
Prehistoric Irish Cynic

Re: Sarah Connor Chronicles: TV Series

And now for something completely different................

If you take a look at page 179 of the April issue of "Vanity Fair" there is a glamour photo (dare I say "Vargas-esque") of Summer Glau. If I hadn't read the caption, I would have guessed that it was someone like Catherine Zeta-Jones. Maybe there will be life after Terminator for her.

Here's a link to the on-line version:

The Vanities Girls: Fame & Scandal: vanityfair.com

Jim
clovis-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2008, 10:03 AM   #47 (permalink)
Wherever I Am, I'm There

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. d. worthington View Post
I think that's the problem with this one -- it started out with some good points, but overall quite weak; while definitely improving in various ways, that may have crippled it altogether. And the ways in which it is improving is in the ideas they're playing with, and in the various types of social commentary and the issues they're addressing (sometimes quite subtly, sometimes rather clumsily, and sometimes with a fair amount of humor).
Now that we are further through the series in the UK, I agree with the earlier comments to keep watching. A TV series can balance many more story threads up in the air than a film can, and they have really done this now with the ex-boyfriend paramedic, FBI agents, schoolteacher with a secret, several different Terminators and Resistance Fighters on different missions, the Turk, and the uncle.

However, I'm disappointed that the comments about the final episode don't make it look so good.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2008, 10:09 PM   #48 (permalink)
Prehistoric Irish Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
However, I'm disappointed that the comments about the final episode don't make it look so good.
Don't pay any attention to my desultory ravings. It's worth seeing through to the season finale. I mainly felt that the story line got a little fragmented at the conclusion. But I may have been overly critical.

Jim
Old 21st March 2008, 10:24 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovis-man View Post
Don't pay any attention to my desultory ravings. It's worth seeing through to the season finale. I mainly felt that the story line got a little fragmented at the conclusion. But I may have been overly critical.

Jim
I've been told (how accurate this is, I don't know) that part of this is due to the timing of the writer's strike, which meant they had to edit together existing footage, leaving it with some serious gaps.

I would say that it's worth watching, but it could be one heck of a lot better. I think they need to think through their concepts a good deal better, and look for the stories within those (which possibilities are enormous; look how much play Asimov found in his Three Laws, for instance....)
j. d. worthington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2008, 01:04 PM   #50 (permalink)
If you see a stranger...

It's starting here next week - Everyone seems to be near the same page on this one, I guess I'll give a try
BookStop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 09:10 PM   #51 (permalink)

It's well worth it. I watched the pilot episode expecting it to suck, but I was pleasantly surprised. I watched the entire series so far, and while it gets a bit muddled near the end, I thought they did an admirable job - it's certainly a major set up from the pile of feces that was T3.
spaceseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2008, 01:22 AM   #52 (permalink)
Wherever I Am, I'm There

I'm not sure where I am up to (as regards the episode number) (and I don't wish to spoil) but there were several flashbacks to the future (or is that flash-forward) with Connor taking hold of the time-travel complex. I actaully look forward to watching this show now (and there is nothing else on TV right now that I do) so I'd certainly encourage others to watch it. The first few episodes are a little slow, predictable and recycled, but it does get better.
Old 2nd April 2008, 09:57 PM   #53 (permalink)

I've seen this the whole way through. It isn't like the films, but that doesn't make it bad.

Summer Glau makes a rather dangerous Terminator, and is great fun to watch (and yes, it has to be said, easy on the eye).

And the use of Johnny Cash during the series final scenes is inspired.
Kostmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2008, 01:46 PM   #54 (permalink)

We have not yet seen the last few episodes in the U.K

I have seen this show from the first Episode, I Think it is good.

A Good story line, and I am glad it is not a Terminator of the week, kind of show.

The story line, where they are trying to find how Skynet is started is a interesting concept.

Plus the fact every terminator sent back in time have there own mission and not just to find and kill Connor.

The entire concept is good, the only thing that let it down for me that there are only nine Episode's in season one..
Commander DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2008, 08:56 AM   #55 (permalink)
Shiny! Let's be bad guys.

If you ignore the massive plotholes and some obviously suicidal heros + inexplicably inaccurate killing machines, it's quite fun to watch
Joel007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 10:40 PM   #56 (permalink)

Yeah, the Terminators don't seem to be that accurate with their gunfire

To paraphrase Kirk - they manage to kill just about everybody else, but like a poor marksmen they keep missing the target.
Kostmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 12:36 PM   #57 (permalink)
Spiff's Stunt Double

Well, I'm watching this on Virgin 1 in the Uk, so I'm about 5 or 6 episodes in and....
It's so BORING! Nothing happens! I mean, yeah Sarah's ex boyfreind shows up (big soap opera yawn) and a few terminators shoot at things (quite inaccuratly, as has been pointed out) and Summer Glau is hot, but it's mostly just people sat in a room being gloomy and whining about thier feelings and dealing with "issues."

I know a TV budget means they can't be blowing up buildings and chasing through city streets in lorries every episode but still...

It's supposed to be Terminator, not bloody Home and Away!

Ah, maybe I'm just getting grumpy in my old age...mutter...mutter
Coolhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2008, 11:26 PM   #58 (permalink)
Wherever I Am, I'm There

While the ending was a little muddled, I liked the closure. If (and these things are never determined in advance) the series is cut, then that would be a reasonable ending. It hasn't been very often that we have got that with cancelled shows. If there is a second Season, then all the elements were left there to pick up. One thing I can't see is it continuing without Summer Glau, so the final scene would possibly need some retconning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clovis-man View Post
So we've got high school field trips and prom dates
I think that's a bit unfair; wasn't that meant to be linked to Sarah's little "That's our Mission, but this is our Life" speech? It is not as if that was all that happened every week. It's certainly not 'Roswell' or 'Smallville' or 'Home and Away'.

One thing I did like was that Derek knew that Kyle was Connor's father all along, and had no problem with it: "Every time I look at you, I see him." Yet, Sarah has been trying to hide that fact for half the Season.
Old 19th April 2008, 12:06 AM   #59 (permalink)
Prehistoric Irish Cynic

As I said, I may have been overly critical. I'll certainly be interested to see if we have a second season. And it would be nice if it consisted of more than just a few episodes.
Old 6th November 2008, 04:29 PM   #60 (permalink)
Spiff's Stunt Double

It's back! And Shirly Manson from the band Garbage is a scottish T1000 series Terminator! How random and yet somehow utterly awesome is that?
Coolhand is offline   Reply With Quote