Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Books and Literature > Classic SF&F

Classic SF&F Classic science-fiction authors and books, from the Golden Age to the 1970's.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st September 2007, 06:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Win awards!

C.J. Cherryh

Among the over 60 books she wrote, which ones do you recommend? I have a chance to buy the following for a good price:

The Chanur Saga (three first books in the series)
The Faded Sun (3 first)
Downbelow Station
Merchanter's Luck
Forge of Heaven
Hammerfall
Well of Shiuan
Wave Without a Shore
Port Eternity
Hunter of Worlds
Hellburner
The Tree of Swords and Jewels
Brothers of Earth

Or maybe I should exercize some restraint, since I already used up all my book money this month.
Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2007, 06:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
resident pedantissimo

Re: C.J. Cherryh

I loved the Chanur universe, but basically you have to read the three of them, and while you can read Forge of Heaven alone, it really does prefer to follow Hammerfall.
Downbelow station goes well as a stand alone, if you don't know if you're going to like them or not, as does Wave without a shore or Merchanter's luck.

Restraint? You really think I'm going to recommend restrain? But the fact I really liked several of these books (and that's really liked; the gritty, none too perfect environment gives a reality to some of the scenes more convincing than a lot of supposed non-fiction) does not guarantee you will, and buying the lot of them on trust would be foolish.
However, if it's a one-off offer, perhaps it's folly to be wise...
chrispenycate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2007, 07:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Win awards!

I'm really really tempted to buy this, but I think I'm going to force myself to pass. I've never read any of Cherryh's books, so I don't know if I'll like them. And plunging into a 15-book deal without having at least an idea of what it's like is folly.

Anyway, if anyone else wants it, the link is here.
Old 21st September 2007, 07:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Goblin Princess

There are some wonderful books in there.

The Faded Sun books are the complete series. In addition to the ones that Chris mentioned as working as stand-alones Hunter of Worlds, Brothers of Earth, and Port Eternity actually are stand-alones.
Teresa Edgerton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2007, 08:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Well Of Shiuan is the second book of a trilogy. You really need to read Gate Of Ivrel first. They are part of the Chronicles Of Morgaine. I thought the whole trilogy was excellent.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2007, 12:45 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa Edgerton View Post
There are some wonderful books in there.

The Faded Sun books are the complete series. In addition to the ones that Chris mentioned as working as stand-alones Hunter of Worlds, Brothers of Earth, and Port Eternity actually are stand-alones.

My bookstore has alot books of her. I always wondered this man/women was any good cause i couldnt miss her since her books are close to my fav SF authors. Cause of her name i never knew if she was a man or not....

Faded Sun is it one of her more famous works? Looking for something good of hers to try.
Connavar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2007, 06:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Win awards!

And guess what, I took the time to check how much the auction closed at, and the 15 books sold for the amazing amount of $4.99 plus shipping.

Damn!
Old 26th September 2007, 06:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fortiter et recte!

Well, " he who hesitates is lost"....
If you get a chance to buy the Chanur books again, do so - I'm on my second copy of them all, due to them falling apart from re-reading....
pyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2007, 06:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Win awards!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyan View Post
Well, " he who hesitates is lost"....
If you get a chance to buy the Chanur books again, do so - I'm on my second copy of them all, due to them falling apart from re-reading....
Yeah, if I didn't have to pay something like $40 for shipping on those books, I'd never have hesitated. I'll certainly read the Chanur series in the future. Contrary to what many people say, ebay sometimes is a good choice for second-hand books.
Old 26th September 2007, 07:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Zelazny's Worlds

I am about to read 'Downbelow Station' the Daw books edition, it's bout 500 pages, so it will take me a while

let me know if I'm on the right track?

without Spoilers, of course
The Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2007, 07:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Win awards!

I heard great things about that particular book. Hope you enjoy it. Make sure you post a review here.
Old 26th September 2007, 08:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
Fortiter et recte!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wanderer View Post
I am about to read 'Downbelow Station'
Lucky fellow! - I wish I could read it for the first time ...... again!
Signe Mallory is one of my all-time favourite SF characters.....
Old 29th September 2007, 04:28 AM   #13 (permalink)
Orthodox Herbertarian

Reading C.J. Cherryh is a wonderful treat. Of course, it depends on whether you enjoy her SF or her fantasy (I don't particularly care for her fantasy novels).

Downbelow Station was the first Cherryh novel I ever read (and got her to autograph). It's a good introduction to the Union/Alliance/Merchanters universe, and works well as a standalone story.

Hellburner is the second of a two-part set of novels dealing with asteroid mining in the Union/Alliance series. The first novel is Heavy Time, and they're both excellent.

Of the Union/Alliance novels, I enjoy the Cyteen trilogy (also available as one volume), Rimrunners, Tripoint, and Finity's End the most.

C.J. Cherryh also created the shared-world anthology series (loosely connected to the Union/Alliance series) Merovingen Nights. She wrote the initial novel, Angel With the Sword, and all the rest of the books in the series were connected short stories by various authors (but are mostly so well-linked up that they read like novels).

I have three favorite Cherryh characters: Bet Yeager of Rimrunners, Ariane EmoryPR of Cyteen, and Altair Jones of the Merovingen Nights series. These are all strong, capable women, and excellent role models as to what women can accomplish.

So don't hesitate at all about C.J. Cherryh novels. They're excellent.

Oh, and I just noticed that a new novel, Alliance Space, is scheduled to come out next year. It's been a long time since her last Union/Alliance book, and I can't wait!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2007, 05:43 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addy View Post
And guess what, I took the time to check how much the auction closed at, and the 15 books sold for the amazing amount of $4.99 plus shipping.

Damn!
I was thinking that when I looked at the listing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addy View Post
Yeah, if I didn't have to pay something like $40 for shipping on those books, I'd never have hesitated. I'll certainly read the Chanur series in the future. Contrary to what many people say, ebay sometimes is a good choice for second-hand books.
I also wondered what the shipping would cost you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timewalker View Post
Reading C.J. Cherryh is a wonderful treat. Of course, it depends on whether you enjoy her SF or her fantasy (I don't particularly care for her fantasy novels).

Downbelow Station was the first Cherryh novel I ever read (and got her to autograph). It's a good introduction to the Union/Alliance/Merchanters universe, and works well as a standalone story.

Hellburner is the second of a two-part set of novels dealing with asteroid mining in the Union/Alliance series. The first novel is Heavy Time, and they're both excellent.

Of the Union/Alliance novels, I enjoy the Cyteen trilogy (also available as one volume), Rimrunners, Tripoint, and Finity's End the most.

C.J. Cherryh also created the shared-world anthology series (loosely connected to the Union/Alliance series) Merovingen Nights. She wrote the initial novel, Angel With the Sword, and all the rest of the books in the series were connected short stories by various authors (but are mostly so well-linked up that they read like novels).

I have three favorite Cherryh characters: Bet Yeager of Rimrunners, Ariane EmoryPR of Cyteen, and Altair Jones of the Merovingen Nights series. These are all strong, capable women, and excellent role models as to what women can accomplish.

So don't hesitate at all about C.J. Cherryh novels. They're excellent.

Oh, and I just noticed that a new novel, Alliance Space, is scheduled to come out next year. It's been a long time since her last Union/Alliance book, and I can't wait!

I have all of her books, but one. There was a fantasy she wrote I could never get into (can't even remember the name of the book). But the Merovingen Nights series was one of the best shared world series I had ever read.

I've been looking for a new book from her lately. She ususually comes out with something in the fall, but this year she didn't. Will watch for the Alliance book.

I'd recommend the Chanur books, Downbelow Station, or the Faded Sun trilogy to start. For fantasy, The Fortress series is very good. Start with Fortress in the Eye of Time.
murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2007, 09:46 AM   #15 (permalink)
Fortiter et recte!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timewalker View Post
Nor me - fourth of March, apparently, simultaneous release in the UK and US.

http://http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alliance-Space-C-J-Cherryh/dp/0756404940

But I'm wondering just how short it's going to be - 4.45/$8.99 is remarkably cheap these days, not to say an odd sort of price for a UK book.......

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: