Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Science fiction and fantasy > Gaming

Gaming Discussion area for virtual and non-virtual games and gaming - computer games for home PCs, internet MMORPG, and paper and pencil Role Playing Games (RPG).

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd September 2007, 08:42 AM   #61 (permalink)
Lady of Autumn

Re: The Final Fantasy Series Thread

I relied on the Final Attack-Revive combination in the Ruby fight. I guess I should have got more levels than I actually did... As for Miming Limit Breaks, well, I had to give it a try...

Hmm, favourite playable characters... From all of the games, that's a tough one. I guess from FFVII, it would be Cloud, Vincent and Cid. They always seemed to have the most interesting stories, and they were pretty balanced in battle (Vincent's limit breaks were unpredictable, so I never used them and made him an all round fighter/magic user instead).

Other prominent favourites include FFVIII's Zell, FFIX's Freya, FFX's Auron, and FFXII's Balthier - mostly all for battle. I'd add Locke from FFVI, as well as Celes, too.

Oh, and I liked the fact that Sephiroth actually joined the party for a bit, even if you couldn't control him in battle and it was only a flashback. Even though it was only a small picture, the artwork on the character portrait was great.
Talysia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2007, 09:03 AM   #62 (permalink)
In the Shadows

My favourite playable character would have to be FFVII's Cloud (surprise surprise...) I guess you could say I love all of the main characters - but I love fighting with LV99 Tidus with the sword that has 'Break Damage Limit' - now that makes the end of the game impossibly easy!
Mithridelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2007, 09:06 AM   #63 (permalink)

Hmm...favourite characters...

Cecil and Kain, both from IV. Cecil's the protagonist, a dark knight struggling to keep himself good despite using the dark blade and Kain's his best friend. However, Kain secretly loves Rosa, Cecil's girlfriend!

I like Red XIII and Vincent from VII. Red's quite a cool clever guy, for a mere 48 year old, and Vincent was quite interesting though I don't know the full Hojo/Lucretia backstory.
thaddeus6th is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2007, 01:57 PM   #64 (permalink)
Lady of Autumn

Vincent does have one of the more interesting stories (although I won't give any spoilers to his connections to Lucrecia and Hojo - in Dirge of Cerberus, at least) in this thread.

I forgot about Cecil and Kain, to tell the truth (It's been quite a while since I played IV) but I remember them as good characters.
Old 24th September 2007, 02:44 AM   #65 (permalink)
In the Shadows

How about peoples favourite weapons? Of course one has to love all the best weapons, but come on - Clouds Nail Bat was teh-awsome.
Mithridelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2007, 07:34 AM   #66 (permalink)
Lady of Autumn

Best weapons, hmm? For appearance, I rather liked Cid's Mop weapon, not to mention Aeris' Flayer (although the Parasol was good, too). I suppose the ones I used all the time would be the ultimate weapons - Cloud's Ultima Weapon, Cid's Venus Gospel, and Vincent's Death Penalty.

From other FF games, though, I liked the DeathBringer in FFXII - possibility of killing the monster outright with one hit - and the gunblade in FFVIII was rather interesting. I think the weapons in all the games are pretty good.
Old 24th September 2007, 09:57 AM   #67 (permalink)
Direwolf of the chrons

Jumping back in to cast my vote for the gunblade - a great idea
Also have you heard of the transforming weapons comming in FFXIII - a full sci-fi world with transforming guns (will there me mechs?)
Overread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2007, 08:15 PM   #68 (permalink)
Causa Scientiae

I didn't use Vincent so much for fighting (apart from Cait Sith he was my least used character, but he is incredibly cool). I wasn't so fond of his weapons, though, compared to some of the others.

The flashback at Kalm when you first see Sephiroth is amazing. At that point you can only take off a couple of hundred with your hits, and he is taking off four or five thousand. Maybe the fact that it was my first experience playing an FF game that made it so impressive, but I was in awe of Sephiroth from that point onwards.......

My favourite characters (roughly in order for each game):
FFVI - Terra, Sabin, Locke, Edgar
FFVII - Aeris, Cloud, Cid (and Vincent because he's cool)
FFVIII - Rinoa, Zell, Quisits (Squall was a complete pain!)
FFIX - Garnet, Freya, Vivi
FFX - Yuna, Wakka, Rikku, Tidus (the latter three were my 'dream team' for the Penance fight)
FFXII - Ummm.......well, Vaan, Ashe and Basch were normally my fighting squad.

Best weapons? Well, I liked the comedy ones you guys have mentioned, but my favourite is (surprise) the Ultima Weapon. Also Cid's Venus Gospel, and Yuffie's Conformer was a powerful ranged weapon. The gunblades were cool. I also liked Quistis' best whip, the Save the Queen.

In X, anything with Break Damage Limit suited me fine.

And in XII, both the Tournesol and the Masamune (of course!) caught my fancy.

Overread, I hadn't heard of the transforming weapons. Sounds cool!
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2007, 08:21 PM   #69 (permalink)
Press "X" to Admire Hat.

Location: [I am a spambot, selecting the default option - ban me!]

I know for a fact that the Summons in FFXIII transform, don't know about FF Versus XIII, though.

In the FFXIII trailers, so far, we have seen Shiva transform into a motorbike, and so the general feeling is that all summons in FFXIII (so far we know Shiva, Ifrit and Bahamut) will transform into something useful (such as a motorbike).

Anyway, on the subject of an FFVII remake, new FFVII game, or a new FFXIII game... TGS is over, and there's been nothing. Looks like the hype train dropped us all off at Fool's Avenue.

The next big Video Games convention is Jump Festa in December, I think. We might hear something about FFXIII at least there.
Lenny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2007, 08:28 PM   #70 (permalink)
Lady of Autumn

I hadn't heard of the transforming weapons either, but I'd love to see them in action.

No FFVII remake? I have mixed feelings about that. Half of me would have loved to see it, and the other...

Ok, then, how about favourite FF villains? I think I already know how most of us are going to answer...
Old 24th September 2007, 08:30 PM   #71 (permalink)
Causa Scientiae

Well, thanks for keeping us up to date on the FF developments.

What you say about the summons is intriguing! I wonder how that will fit into the story?

*settles down to wait for Jump Festa*

[edit] Villains, Talysia?!

Let me think about this one.......

Other than myself (since it's too obvious), I would say Kefka is my 'favourite' villain. He's not a tragic villain like Sephiroth, he's an unbalanced, psychopathic, evil nutcase! He has some great scenes, and some funny lines......

Edea made quite a good prospective villain in VIII (although you know what happens there). Ultimecia was a great fight, but she appeared too late in the story for me to really care about her much.

Kuja, for me, was ever so slightly lame by comparison. And Necron was bewildering.......

Which brings me to XII, and the hugely disappointing Vayne Solidor.

Sephiroth and Kefka, for main villains! (and Jenova )

But I have to say, Scarlet and Hojo are two of my favourite villains. Especially Hojo, the twisted genius.

We can't call the Turks villains, can we?
Old 24th September 2007, 08:43 PM   #72 (permalink)
Lady of Autumn

It's funny how everyone loves Sephiroth

He's got to be one of my favourite villains, too. Kefka was great, as was Edea, although I agree about Kuja and Necron, though I'd add Seymour to the list of slightly disappointing bad guys. Vayne wasn't great, either (Gabranth or Cid would have been better, in my opinion). I liked Hojo - especially now that he features in two games I've played - although I wasn't fond of Scarlet. The slap fight on the end of the Junon Cannon was funny, though! I liked Heideggar instead (for comedy value).

And no - the Turks couldn't be called villains! Especially since they help out so much in Advent Children. Rufus gave it a good try, though.
Old 24th September 2007, 08:55 PM   #73 (permalink)
Causa Scientiae

I think it's a great testament to Sephiroth's character design and back-story that we all think so much of him, even though he....well, you know.....

Good point about Seymour, he really was a bit of a let-down. Again, things get bewildering in FFX, eventually (won't say too much, but Yu-Yevon?!)

Gabranth and Cid were both much stronger characters than Vayne, no doubt. Although my vote would go to Venaat (I really thought more was going to come of all that...).

I forgot about the slap fight! That bitch! Maybe I don't like her after all! Don't know why I didn't mention Heidegger, he makes me laugh...

I can't help having a sneaking respect for Rufus, especially since we find out he survived. But he's a sinister dude.

Who's your favourite Turk?
Old 24th September 2007, 09:04 PM   #74 (permalink)
Lady of Autumn

Favourite Turk? That would be a toss up between the inimitable Reno and the inscrutable Tseng, for me.
Old 24th September 2007, 09:07 PM   #75 (permalink)
Causa Scientiae

Yeah. Reno, for me, then Tseng. Elena is funny, though.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: