Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Authors > Mary Hoffman

Mary Hoffman Board for discussing the writings of Mary Hoffman, not least the Stravaganza series.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 25th August 2007, 11:58 PM   #16 (permalink)

Re: Mary Hoffman; Stravaganza

Hi Mary and Tru - another one from the forum has joined

Hey all!
Lavita_Ebella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2007, 08:17 PM   #17 (permalink)
Writer

Hi, Lavita!
I finished City of Secrets yesterday but it doesn't quite count as done because I have to spend all tomorrow on the edits before e-mailing it to agent and publisher. I'll start a proper thread as soon as it has gone off.

You will love it here - full of threads for you to join in on.

Mary
Mary Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2007, 01:16 PM   #18 (permalink)
Dragon Writer

Hello, Lavita. It's great to see more of Mary's fans here on Chronicles. It would be really good to see more discussion of her work. If enough threads are started, then they will be gathered into an author forum of her own in the author section. There are several other authors who frequent their own boards here, but it would be great to see Mary with a place to call her own!
Mark Robson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2007, 05:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
Nia

Had to add me too :] Though I never registered in the old forum I read it regularly. If there really is going to be some discussion here I may even participate this time

~Nia~
Nia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2007, 12:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
Dragon Writer

Great to see you here, Nia. With the steady stream of Mary's fans arriving, I would hope to see Mary get her own author board soon. The normal criteria is for there to be six discussion threads running about a particular author's work before a board is set up. I've noted at least three already, so it would be good to get a few more running. The six thread criteria is not a hard and fast thing, though. With Mary sort of 'in residence' here now, I imagine she will get her own board soon anyway.

Maybe we should start a sort of informal interview thread - a 'Questions for Mary' thread perhaps. This might well spark separate threads on issues raised. Just a thought.
Old 11th September 2007, 03:36 PM   #21 (permalink)
Writer

Yes, welcome Nia. Mark beat me to it.

I'm looking foward to having my own board - sounds very grand!

And of course I'm happy to answer questions. You might have noticed that City of Secrets is now finished!

Mary
Old 12th September 2007, 07:29 PM   #22 (permalink)

Oww, big fan of the Stravaganza series! And.. well... I sold them quite a lot too, back when I was still selling books. I remember pitching the first book to a woman in the store, who turned out to be the woman at the Dutch publishers that brought Stravaganza in. That was funny.

You know how they say not to judge a book by its cover? I still bought the first part because I thought the cover looked cool. Fortunately I loved the story as well.
Daenerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2008, 11:01 PM   #23 (permalink)
Dragon Writer

The things people take to bed with them in your books, Mary! First a notebook: sad though it may be, I can relate to this. Next an ornament of a winged horse: unusual, but given the character, I did not question it. Now a seventeen year old lad takes a perfume bottle to bed ... how do you do this and make it sound so plausible?

I can only take my hat off to you and shake my head in amazement. There are some unusual folk around, I grant you, but I would never have pictured a seventeen year old boy taking an empty perfume bottle to bed until you popped the image into my mind. Every time I say it, I keep thinking it would never happen ... yet I find myself believing. You're one devious lady, Mary!
Old 8th April 2008, 09:56 PM   #24 (permalink)

i agree! it is amazing!
amethystprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 09:05 AM   #25 (permalink)
Writer

Thank you, Amethystprincess!

You know, when I was a kid I took not just soft toys to bed but a metal string puppet of Muffin the Mule!

Quite apart from dating me, this was seriously bad health and safety practice! I remember waking up with hoof marks in my face, often. Accounts for a lot.

So I feel fairly relaxed about what people might take to bed with them. Let's face it, they HAVE to take their talismans to bed for the stravagation to work and I can't limit myself to the sort of items teenage boys and girls would be likely to choose.

It's another sort of book in City of Secrets (a leather-bound spellbook) but will be a silver tessera (mosaic tile) in Ships and a dagger in Swords - if that book ever happens.

It's funny what different readers pick up - I'd never even thought about the likelihood or otherwise of Sky's taking the perfume bottle to bed. I suppose I was more focussed on the plot complications to come. And HE didn't raise any objections, so it happened.

Mary
Old 13th April 2008, 05:38 AM   #26 (permalink)
from Mexico City

I get a look in the Stravaganza forum, and I was dissapointed reading latest post dates of 2006, so I fell here. Yay! Much better ^^

I became a fan of City of Masks since... 4 days... The book was read in 3 days and now it's not in my hands...

I get hooked by the fact that Arianna it's too much like a friend named "Adriana", and then fell in love with Talia and Belleza.

Now the book it's on a friend hands, and I hope she likes it, and do that "fangirl stuff" with Rodolfo together XD

And... I sleep with notebook under the pillow since many yers ago! I like to write on bed, before sleeping (and before my mom shouts: "It's too late!!!! Turn the light off!!". So I turn the light off, slide the notebook under the pillow and put the pen/pencil near to bed). I don't get awake in a strange world, but I get some interesting dreams...
Lexell_Cassini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2008, 05:11 PM   #27 (permalink)
Writer

"I get a look in the Stravaganza forum, and I was disappointed reading latest post dates of 2006, so I fell here. Yay! Much better."

Yes, that's a real pain; it's because of the invasion of the spammers but we can't even close it down because the originator and chiefr mod has gone awol. Actually there are posts even from this year but I have to go on periodically and delete Spam in what looks like Finnish and Japanese.

"And... I sleep with notebook under the pillow since many yers ago! I like to write on bed, before sleeping (and before my mom shouts: "It's too late!!!! Turn the light off!!". So I turn the light off, slide the notebook under the pillow and put the pen/pencil near to bed). I don't get awake in a strange world, but I get some interesting dreams"

I've heard of many people trying to use talismans to stravagate but with no success as yet. I've always had weird dreams - I think writers do!

Mary
Old 13th April 2008, 10:20 PM   #28 (permalink)
from Mexico City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Hoffman View Post

I've heard of many people trying to use talismans to stravagate but with no success as yet. I've always had weird dreams - I think writers do!

Mary
I don't try to stravagate, I didn't know the concept last week!
Lexell_Cassini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2008, 01:53 AM   #29 (permalink)

Oh, wow. Hi to everyone from the old forum! I'm Alex from the old forum. Hola to everyone at sffchronicles, I'm new here but I've been a stravaganza fan for a while. Welcome to the world of Stravaganza new fans!
alexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2008, 06:48 PM   #30 (permalink)
Hearts Burst Into Fire

Hi! I love the Stravaganza Series and read it 2 years ago! I didn't know that there was The City Of Secrets! when is it out in the UK? Are Georgina and everyone else still in it?!
animal_lover_06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: