Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Film & TV > Featured TV Series > Babylon 5

Babylon 5 Discussions about the TV series, Babylon 5, and its spin-off projects.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd August 2009, 02:54 PM   #31 (permalink)

Re: The Untold Truth About Michael O'Hare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodders View Post
Sorry guys, but this argument is not going anywhere and i can see it devolving rapidly.

Me, i love B5 too. Can we talk about that instead?
I think some people just like rumours. That's all. They don't care about anything else.
triskvelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 08:13 AM   #32 (permalink)
|-O-| (-O-) |-O-|

Unfortunately, B5 is so long ago, rumour is all we have left.
Rodders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2011, 05:00 PM   #33 (permalink)

Thumbs up Re: Michael O'Hare talks about Jerry Doyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenwo2 View Post
They must've been some puppets if they can act THAT well. wow.

While it's true that Bruce did turn out to be a better fit for the leading role, I guess I'm in the minority who thought that O'Hare did an excellent job being the First Season Commander Sinclair of Babylon 5.

While Bruce brought a sense of emotional, impulsive, and, at times, kind-of-goofy-yet-funny brand of acting to the TV Screen, O'Hare brought a perfect representation of what a REAL Commander of a Space Station SHOULD Be. He had an eloquence with his words and voice(only rivaled by G'kar himself) that said to you "RESPECT THE CHAIN OF COMMAND". He, in my opinion, was THE quintessential person to be in charge of a huge spacestation.

Sheridan was more or less thrown in there and, at times, didn't seem like he was enjoying being pretty much the overseer of a mini-city(I guess you can call it). And It's understandable 'cause he was a soldier who was out there in the Agamemnon(sp?) kicking ass and taking names.

I don't know the real reason why O'hare was replaced nor will I or anyone else truly will know the truth but one things for sure, it had more to do with Jerry Doyle being a Take-my-ball-and-go-home crybaby then Stracinsky(sp?) "deciding" to fire O'hare to get someone better. I did find it impressive how he managed to incorporate O'hare being "reassigned" and then putting him into the past as Valen of all people.

Bottom Line : First, let me apologize for being absolutely rude and abrasive but when I saw how people were just crapping on someone who, I believe, did an outstanding job at making a Commander REALLY LOOK AND SOUND like a COMMANDER, it ticks me off something fierce.

I have and always will have the utmost respect for O'Hare(I heard he is now a Trader for the Stock Market...) and I find it completely BUSH LEAGUE that when they had a Babylon 5 reunion on that show(with that intelligent-looking fellow with a beard...his name escapes me), O'hare wasn't there and, I believe, wasn't even invited. Without O'Hare, the Foundation for Babylon 5 and it's overlying and underlying story would never have been properly developed. AND THAT'S A FACT.

(and Jerry Doyle can eat my shorts.... )

I'm watching The "Babylon 5" now and I couldn't agree more with that opinion. O'Hare is perfect as a commander, very convincing and a key figure in general. Many years ago I pass through some episodes on TV, without any attempt to follow. It was new, exciting and seemed full of energy. Now I have watched it again, but this time in order and from the first to the last of the episodes. The show is still valid, still convinsing and simply wonderful. Some will say it's naive and childish (I've heard such comments), other couldn't watch it at all, but hey, it's different strokes for different folks.
To me it's a great sci-fi and every single one of the actors (with just one exception) fits just perfectly well in it.

Peace, love and less television to all!
meleager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2011, 09:50 PM   #34 (permalink)
Destroyer of Words

I loved it so much I bought the series

O'Hare was by far them more convincing of the two commanders - there was always something a little too "nice" about Boxleitner, for me - and although one or two of the B5 movies sucked big-time (lots and lots of talk, very little new philosophy) and despite my disappointment overall with the final season (ditto, but also little action), it will remain one of my most enduring fondnesses.
Interference is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2011, 10:43 AM   #35 (permalink)
|-O-| (-O-) |-O-|

I didn't like Sinclair at first and thought hos acting was terrible. After a while though i got used to it and was a little disappointed when he didn't appear in the second series. Still, of the two, i preferred Boxleitner.

I lent the entire series to a colleague at work who didn't like it at all. I think it's time to get them back and start powerdiscing.
Rodders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2012, 03:33 PM   #36 (permalink)
kd5
SciFi/Fantasy/Horror Geek

It's sad this thread title is misleading in that it is not actually truth, but rumors and heresay...

My wife & I are enjoying Babylon 5 for the 3rd (or 4th) time, we've watched the pilot movie (The Gathering) and we've started Season One. This series brings back fond memories, it will always be one of our favorites... -kd5-
kd5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2012, 05:20 PM   #37 (permalink)
Destroyer of Words

Yeah, I'm afraid this thread caught me out that way as well

Even so, I hadn't heard even the rumours before and had always wondered why O Hare had left while his character seemed so pivotal to the series. I agree with Rodders that his acting wasn't exactly top-notch, but he had an endearing presence that wasn't quite recaptured in the recasting (imho, of course ).
Old 13th February 2012, 06:31 AM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
It's sad this thread title is misleading in that it is not actually truth, but rumors and heresay...

My wife & I are enjoying Babylon 5 for the 3rd (or 4th) time, we've watched the pilot movie (The Gathering) and we've started Season One. This series brings back fond memories, it will always be one of our favorites... -kd5-
Well, it is true according to Jerry Doyle and I happen to have a clip that confirms this and I would post it here if this site had an itunes attachment, but I have no way doing so unless you want to PM me. Besides, keep in mind that this is Doyle's word against O'Hare's and it's such a shame that they didn't get along offscreen, unlike onscreen.
Whitestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2012, 03:31 PM   #39 (permalink)
kd5
SciFi/Fantasy/Horror Geek

Well, we have Doyle making allegations and JMS refuting them. Unless I hear/see verifiable proof it's just one person's word against the other. Verifiable proof would be O'Hare admitting to the allegations or video proof of the claims. Video of someone making allegations is not proof enough for me. Besides, I'd rather not have the image I have of Sinclair and Garibaldi spoiled by rumors and heresay. Not that I'd prefer to bury my head in the sand (so to speak), but B5 is one of my favorite shows. Knowing that one or more of the cast was an a***ole is not how I want to remember Babylon 5... -kd5-
kd5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2012, 05:01 PM   #40 (permalink)
Destroyer of Words

This gawdawful celebrity culture we've allowed ourselves to create is to blame. Actors are people who present us with characters. What they do when they aren't doing that is, to me, irrelevant. Unless I marry one of 'em of course
Old 29th March 2012, 03:04 PM   #41 (permalink)

O’Hare wasn’t fired by Straczynski, he was fired by Warner Bros. A little known fact is that Babylon 5 had a GUARANTEED 22 episode run for the first season – meaning it couldn’t be cancelled. It was part of the deal set up between Warner and the stations that signed up to PTEN.

At the end of season 1 the show was generally being panned by TV critics as being to slow and talky – with O’Hare being singled out as a wooden actor. So what happens – season two is much more action orientated and O’Hare is replaced by a known name to act as the new commander. All the other writers involved with the previous story arc that was building up during season are gone, the story takes a major right turn and Straczynski starts writing all the episodes.

It was for the better, the show improved immensely, but from season 2 onwards, it was not the show which Straczynski had originally planed out – as can be read in one of his memo’s to Warner - during season 1 - who wanted to know where the thing was going.

Roxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2012, 03:46 PM   #42 (permalink)
Destroyer of Words

So, as suspected, some massive re-writing had to be done once O'Hare's character had to be removed. I still think his actual presence was missed, woodenness notwithstanding.
Old 29th March 2012, 05:18 PM   #43 (permalink)

Yeah pretty much so. I’d throw in some links to show I ain’t just making it up, but as a new forum member I can’t just yet.

Both actors brought something to the part that was written for them, so it’s difficult to tell how O’Hare as Sinclair would have developed. Personally I thought he did an OK job, and the character had potential.
Old 29th March 2012, 05:43 PM   #44 (permalink)
Destroyer of Words

Yeah, ok, but in my view he had a certain charm about him and, with practice and experience, might either have become a better actor or we'd've just got used to him, like Matt Whatsisface in Friends (Joey).

Not that Boxleitner was much of an improvement. His acting style is just as wooden, in many ways, if a little more - er - varnished

But I have to say that, even after watching the DVDs over a shortish period, the character of Sinclair made considerably more impact, even in the first, arguably slow, season.
Old 29th March 2012, 05:52 PM   #45 (permalink)

No argument here. ; ) I don't think the change in actor was needed. Just look at the first season of ST:TNG for wodden acting. Actors and the rest of the team, if given the chance, will often grow into the role and as you say, the audience get used to them over time as well.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: