Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Books and Literature > Classic SF&F

Classic SF&F Classic science-fiction authors and books, from the Golden Age to the 1970's.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 14th June 2007, 08:20 AM   #91 (permalink)

Re: Good Post Apocalyptic Books Wanted

I forgot to mention NIGHT LAND by William Hope Hodgson. Technically I'd consider that post-apocalyptic and end of the world novel. This takes place ten thousand years or more from now where the dying sun has dimmed. This novel is couched in arcane language as with Mary Shelley's The Last Man. Still, if you could get thru that, it's a good one.
brsrkrkomdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2007, 09:06 PM   #92 (permalink)

Have had a quick scan thru the lists, can't see . . .

The city and the stars by Arthur C. Clarke, not ur typical post-holocaust novel but still deals with the remnant survivors of mankind.

Favourite has to be Earth Abides, just finished it again this afternoon, beautiful just beautiful
tarifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2007, 12:12 PM   #93 (permalink)
resident pedantissimo

Was rooting through my bookshelves recently (for something completely different) and unearthed "Davy", by Edgar Pangbourne, and started rereading it (search abandoned) Definitely deserves inclusion.
Others that marked me in my far-distant youth: does an apocylipse have to be violent? (My brain only associates the word with rhe bang, not the wimper, so all the plague based depopulations are eliminated) Anyway, with bang
Level seven by Mordecai Roshwald
The offshore island by Marghanita Laski.(that's a play, but since I worked with it it would stick in my mind. I had a devil of a job googling it, though, and suspect it's unfindable)

And if the whimper, Try "Mary's country", by Harold Mead
chrispenycate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2007, 01:45 PM   #94 (permalink)

<Was rooting through my bookshelves recently (for something completely different) >

And the Spanish Inqusition popped out.
Who's Wee Dug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2007, 02:19 PM   #95 (permalink)
resident pedantissimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's Wee Dug View Post
<Was rooting through my bookshelves recently (for something completely different) >

And the Spanish Inqusition popped out.
With my bookshelves, I'd hardly be surprised; but I didn't expect them.
chrispenycate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2007, 06:06 AM   #96 (permalink)

Hello. I'm new here. Just came across this site. Great stuff.

I really enjoyed reading through this thread. Found a few titles I definitely need to track down. I have read many of the books listed, and find many of the really good ones stand out for a lot of people, and for many of the same reasons I'm sure.

Earth Abides, A Canticle for Liebowitz, Alas, Babylon, Riddley Walker, On the Beach.

I'm a sucker for these classics. There's a reason they stand the test of time. I want to throw a couple into the mix. I'm not real big on post apocalyptic books that include an element of magic and fantasy. Here's two I haven't seen mentioned that are more standard post-nuclear society building type novels.

The Last Ship by William Brinkley, published in 1988.

A good portion of this book is set on a nuclear powered U.S. guided missile destroyer that at first appears to be the only survivor of a U.S./Soviet Union nuclear exchange. Some similarities to On the Beach.

A main part of the story is the absolute power of a Navy Captain while on board his ship. How he handles his hopeless crew and the disproportionate number of men and women in the crew is fascinating. It's a lonely job he does with dignity.

He and his crew eventually hook up with a survivor Soviet sub, and the two crews try to develop a society on a south Pacific island. Once on land, things change drastically not only for the U.S. Captain, but for everyone on both vessels. One of my favorites.

The second is Malevil, by Robert Merle, published 1972.

This book is set in France. The main character is a gentleman farmer that owns a castle/winery in France when a nuclear war takes place. His property is a tourist attraction, and a number of people survive the attack in the castle's wine cellar. The rest of the book chronicles how they build a new farming society not only for themselves, but also in conjunction with other small groups of survivors in the area. There are the prerequisite bad guys.

The main character is a strong leader, and religion begins to play a large part in the society they develop. How he handles the growing religious deference his people show him is the best part of the novel.

This book was made into a French movie in 1981 which I have not seen, but which won several awards.

One book that was briefly mentioned earlier is the latest book by Cormac McCarthy, The Road. One of the most powerful books of any kind I have ever read. Wow. Incredible crushing despair, balanced with an almost invisible hope the reader needs to be there. When my wife finished it one night in bed she was sobbing. Everyone should read it.

Sorry for the long first post. I don't think my descriptions should be spoilers. Both The Last Ship and Malevil offer much more than I've put forth here.
Musky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2007, 09:04 AM   #97 (permalink)

Hello, and welcome to the Chrons. I wouldn't worry about the length of the post; some of us posted veerrrrry long things when we started... and still do, betimes!
j. d. worthington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2007, 03:20 PM   #98 (permalink)
Professional Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispenycate View Post
With my bookshelves, I'd hardly be surprised; but I didn't expect them.
No one ever expects the Spanish Inquisition.
Moogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2007, 12:13 AM   #99 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogle View Post
No one ever expects the Spanish Inquisition.
Ah Ha another Python fan who has just Snaked in.
Old 27th July 2007, 12:26 AM   #100 (permalink)

Greybeard by Brian Aldiss, or Edmund Cooper has some good one's 5 to 12, Merry Christmas Ms Minerva,Who needs Men,Son of Cronk & All Fool's Day.check out some of his others.
Old 15th August 2007, 02:15 PM   #101 (permalink)
olaf capek

Triumph by P. Wylie not mentioned?

pretty good book.
merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2007, 06:25 PM   #102 (permalink)
Hey, visit my homepage!!!

ouch, dragged myself through The Last Ship...

take it off your must read list. Sorry...
bryanspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2007, 12:32 PM   #103 (permalink)
Boggart

The Chalk Giants by Keith Roberts is post-apocalyptic fiction. Kind of.....

Well, it begins with a civilisation-destroying war. Maybe.........

Or perhaps it all takes place inside the head of the protagonist. Either way it's worth reading - it's difficult but rewarding and, like all Roberts, stunningly written - if a little depressing, with his usual jaundiced view of humanity (he was nothing if not a misanthrope).
High Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2007, 05:14 AM   #104 (permalink)

I recently bought The Road for two reasons Cormac McCarthey is hailed and cause people said the book was post apocalyptic.

But really i dont care how famous or hailed the writer is i bought it cause it was the easiest one to find in the book store of all post apoclyptic books i know of.

Hope its a good one.
Connavar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2007, 06:13 PM   #105 (permalink)

Hi

Just found this forum. I too like post apocalyptic fiction. I have a good collection. There was one book I had before and can't remember the title. Hope someone knows. There is a traveller and he's going through the ruins, finds a diary. The diary talks about the events leading up to the end of civilizatiuon. in this case it was a civil war in the USA with a black uprising starting in th Chicago area. The diary starts normally then the rebellion comes, it's all going well then the end quickly comes, they realise that the revolt is doomed and that they are going to lose - they also find out about the fall of gary and lots of long trenches being dug nearby.

Anyone know it?
black1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: