Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Film & TV > Featured TV Series > Doctor Who

Doctor Who Splendid chaps!... All of them!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 25th June 2007, 08:39 PM   #31 (permalink)
Reetou Diplomatic Corp

Re: 29.12: The Sound of Drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rothgar View Post
I thought one of the funniest parts was when The Master was watching Toclafane fall from the sky and his wife was doing some kind of crazy dance in the background. It just cracked me up that in the middle of all the madness here she was dancing.
One reason I think there's more to her than meets the eye. Funky music though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackokent View Post
Also the way he got his time thingy to teleport them.... just too easy for me and if they could do that, why on earth did they spend so much time running around at the start. Why run when you can teleport ... why drive even?
It seemed to be very imprecise and hard to control. I don't think, even with the Doctor's fiddling, it has much precision/accuracy.
PTeppic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2007, 08:43 PM   #32 (permalink)
Fortiter et recte!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTeppic View Post
It seemed to be very imprecise and hard to control. I don't think, even with the Doctor's fiddling, it has much precision/accuracy.
I'd agree, except that it always lands people exactly at ground level, every time, and not six inches too low!
pyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2007, 10:20 PM   #33 (permalink)
Wherever I Am, I'm There

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyan View Post
I'd agree, except that it always lands people exactly at ground level, every time, and not six inches too low!
If you want to get really picky then there is also the relative motion of the planet too. The Earth rotates on its axis at about 1,100 miles per hours, orbits the sun at about 67,000 miles per hour, and circles the Milky Way at about 486,000 miles per hour.

If they arrive stationary, then all I would say is "ouch!" (and Jam comes to mind!)
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2007, 10:26 PM   #34 (permalink)
Fortiter et recte!

I agree with jackokent, though - it makes things too easy. Stuck in an escape pod falling into the sun? Teleport in, and teleport them out!
Old 27th June 2007, 03:45 PM   #35 (permalink)
Andy G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Jackson View Post
I agree with PTeppic that having the Delgado-style beard wouldn't have been necessary. It might even have interfered with the story, cos how many people these days would trust someone with the evil-beard-face?
Eek, does that mean no-one in my real life trusts me then? I've got an 'evil-beard-face' (& in fact have been called "The Master" by those old enough to remember Delgado). Yes, my avatar is a good representation of what I look like in real life (although I do have a nose).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Jackson View Post
Good to see I'm not the only one who spotted Cloudbase! Could the Toclafane really be... duh, duh, duuuhhh... The Mysterons in disguise?!
Personally, when I saw this I kept thinking of the S.H.I.E.L.D Helicarrier (a very similar hi-tech floating HQ which is home to Nick Fury and other agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. from Marvel Comics).

I agree about being a bit fed up of having yet another massive interstellar/interdimensional invasion - although at least this one doesn't seem so UK-centric like the 'battle of Canary Wharf' or the Slitheen. (Guess I shouldn't be moaning about the UK bias - in film/TV we've had to endure alien invasions/encounters which centre on the USA for years now...)
mistera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2007, 03:47 PM   #36 (permalink)
Iago with a Blackberry

Woo, exciting episode. The Master and his wife are crazy! What was with the strange dance as 10% of the population was being wiped out? (that was pretty damn evil, especially with all the sounds of people screaming and yelling "we're being slaughtered here!") The craziness from The Master was a little gratuitous at times, like in the cabinet meeting ("If I'm happy, I'll do this" *grins*) although it still made me laugh. But I certainly liked the foolishness while talking to the president, heh.

Oh, no, old Doctor!! A strange thing to do, although I guess it's quite a good way of slowing him down. Lock him up, he'll escape. Kill him, he'll just regenerate. But make him so old that he can barely move...

The orbs are quite weird...and I'm very intrigued as to what they are after The Master said it would break The Doctor's hearts to know what they are. Hmm...(But perhaps people are right and in the next episode they'll suddenly kick out a green light and say "this is the voice of the Mysterons..." )

Looking forward to the grand finale (but, alas, that means Doctor Who is over for another series, sigh...) and it certainly looks very dramatic, with guns a-blazing and people rolling around in army clothing.
HoopyFrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2007, 05:44 PM   #37 (permalink)
Left-minded

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopyFrood View Post
The orbs are quite weird...and I'm very intrigued as to what they are after The Master said it would break The Doctor's hearts to know what they are. Hmm...
I have my suspicions that the orbs might hold whatever's left of the Time Lord race - the essences of Time Lords who went into hiding during the Time War or something like that (perhaps hiding in null-space like the Daleks in the last series). The Master did mention that he had been resurrected because the Time Lords needed his help in the Time War (fat lot of good he proved to be), and it would certainly break The Doctor's heart if it turned out to be his own people doing this to Earth. It also explains how they and The Master hooked up (which, if memory serves, was never actually explained in the episode); presumably he knew exactly where to look for them...

Just a thought.
Tillane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2007, 05:46 PM   #38 (permalink)
Iago with a Blackberry

Yeah, I was going to suggest that maybe they were Time Lords or something, or at least something left of the Time Lords, an essence like you say.
Old 27th June 2007, 05:59 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopyFrood View Post
Yeah, I was going to suggest that maybe they were Time Lords or something, or at least something left of the Time Lords, an essence like you say.
Well, they were child like voices, so.... children??? Also didn't they say paradox machine or something like Take the history of earth one way for a while, then flip back, creating a paradox??
SJAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2007, 06:59 PM   #40 (permalink)
Iago with a Blackberry

A couple had children's voices, but I'm sure one had a deep voice as well, like a grown man.
Old 27th June 2007, 11:16 PM   #41 (permalink)
I'm so dizzy...

they'll probably be flaming Daleks... space boomerangs!

Or recycled assistants?
HappyHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2007, 11:21 PM   #42 (permalink)
Fortiter et recte!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HH
they'll probably be flaming Daleks...
You know, that occurred to me as well - I wouldn't be at all surprised, with RTG!
Old 27th June 2007, 11:25 PM   #43 (permalink)
Iago with a Blackberry

As much as I love the Daleks (especially Black Dalek Sec, I'm still mourning his death...) I sincerely hope it isn't them. Perhaps it's just some race of killer orb children...nice and simple

Since watching the episode earlier, I've had that damned "So here it comes, the sound of drums!" stuck in my head. Grr.
Old 28th June 2007, 05:24 AM   #44 (permalink)
Reetou Diplomatic Corp

Have to agree... the "Rogue Traders" have never had so much coverage of "Voodoo Child", even if the people humming it aren't aware what it is...

E.g. YouTube - Rogue Traders - Voodoo Child
PTeppic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2007, 04:20 PM   #45 (permalink)
Dark Lord

I thought this episode wasnt quite up to the standard of the rest of the season but usually the first part of a two parter is a bit slow. The effects were good and I also thought of Captain Scarlet and S.H.I.E.l.D's Helecarrier. Good effect though!

This and the Dalek episode were the only lower points on a rather good season!
Ice fyre is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: