Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Film & TV > Featured TV Series > Doctor Who

Doctor Who Splendid chaps!... All of them!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th June 2007, 01:35 PM   #16 (permalink)
Outta sight

Re: 29.11: Utopia

[Lenny: QUOTE] For an RTD episode, I thought this was rather good.[/quote]

Hey Lens - don't you usually like RTD's input?

I thought this was a good episode and it's been a long time without the Master! Things might hot up a bit now - however, like the Daleks, the Master cannot be overused as when they are the storylines tend to drain a bit.
SpaceShip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2007, 02:57 PM   #17 (permalink)
Iago with a Blackberry

What a fantastic episode, especially the last few minutes. Very clever with the YANA and the watch. I don't know a great deal about The Master, but I hope it explains how he managed to regenerate. But it seems he's determined to prolong his life through any means, so perhaps we'll find out anon.

Definitely a hanging onto the edge of your seat episode.

I like Jack. I didn't watch much of the first series so I didn't see him then and I don't watch Torchwood, so this is really the first time I've seen him. He's now my new favourite character (after the Doctor, of course).

There didn't seem to be much point to the plot of the episode, but then really it took a back seat anyway for the big revelation (that we knew was coming anyway, but was still bloody exciting when it happened). The Future Kind were a bit useless, but there you go.

Looks like a very interesting season finale, anyway. The Doctor against his true nemesis. I hope The Master is uber evil, it's time to throw the Doctor out of his stride and make him extremely uncomfortable (but let him win in the end!)
HoopyFrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2007, 05:14 PM   #18 (permalink)
Outta sight

Hmm - that reminds me Hoops - so far, I believe, the Doctors have always regenerated without having any say in it. Is that right? But here - the Master has been able to achieve his own regeneration. Is that new? Or have I missed something?

[Hoopy's QUOTE]The Future Kind were a bit useless, but there you go. [/QUOTE]

But doesn't every generation think the next one slightly less useless than their own - hence the quote "It warn't like that in my day!" Or "not like the good old days". Hmm (again) - they weren't that good!
SpaceShip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2007, 10:18 PM   #19 (permalink)
Wherever I Am, I'm There

I thought it was more than 10 minutes out of the 45 minutes that was thrilling, but I get your point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTeppic View Post
...the Master, after freeing himself, muttered something to the effect of "Utopia, as if" whilst removing some circuitry from the scanner which showed where it was.
Are you suggesting that Utopia was a fiction created by the Master? So his 'human' identity was looking for something created by his real 'Timelord' identity?

A few other plot questions:

The Master regenerated because he got shot. He didn't really have a choice! But the last we saw the Master, he fell into the Eye of Harmony and he had no more regenerations. Do you think the Eye of Harmony was affected by the destruction of the Time Lords?

Is that why the Doctor needs to in the Cardiff Rift every so often?

Are the Regenerations now infinite? (Someone here speculated that the 13 Regeneration rule was not a physical rule, but one enforced by the Time Lords themselves.)
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2007, 05:09 AM   #20 (permalink)
Reetou Diplomatic Corp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Are you suggesting that Utopia was a fiction created by the Master? So his 'human' identity was looking for something created by his real 'Timelord' identity?
More of a question. The human Doctor was still able to do all that cricket ball stuff with the falling piano, without realising why he was capable of it. Maybe the Professor was still capable of subconscious evil, particularly very early on, and somehow rigged the scanner to show somewhere nonexistent. It certainly never made sense to me why they'd bother going since the universe is about to end anyway... unless it's a kind of Grey Havens...
PTeppic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2007, 10:54 AM   #21 (permalink)
Gav

Hmmmm.

The episode was ok. But only OK.

The best thing about it was having Derek Jacobi handle the change from bumbling prof to Master. Well done to him. And thankfully he killed off that idiot blue insect. I would too in that position

"All that Chan and Doh driving me crazy..."

I see that Jacobi appeared to have taken his queues from Ian Holm's Bilbo Baggins. Not sure if it was deliberate but I chuckled - nice touch.

Anyway the rest of the episode was only so much fluff.

In many ways this is a typical RTD episode. Too .... underdeveloped and childish. Hopefully RTD can rein himself in over the next 2 episodes and John Simm can deliver us an edgy evil master - and not a gurning half-wit.
Gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2007, 01:03 PM   #22 (permalink)
Left-minded

I see that Jacobi appeared to have taken his queues from Ian Holm's Bilbo Baggins. Not sure if it was deliberate but I chuckled - nice touch.
Seemed like classic Jacobi to me; his portrayal of Cadfael had all the same bumbling, mumbling and wandering off at tangents.

I wasn't overly impressed by the episode. I liked Jacobi, and quite liked some of the interplay between Jack, Martha and The Doctor, but the episode just seemed a bit too contrived. As has been said before, a good amount of it seemed like a thinly-disguised way to reveal The Master - which, of course, is exactly what it was. My main problem, however, was that I neither cared about the fate of the humans, nor felt either scared or creeped out by Darth Maul and his futurekind buddies.

As to Simm as The Master...I'll reserve judgement until the end of the series. But I think he'll be good. *fingers crossed*
Tillane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2007, 01:09 PM   #23 (permalink)
Gav

Quote:
Seemed like classic Jacobi to me; his portrayal of Cadfael had all the same bumbling, mumbling and wandering off at tangents.
I was referring to the scene with the fob watch specifically.
Old 19th June 2007, 07:22 PM   #24 (permalink)
Reetou Diplomatic Corp

Wasn't that as much the effect of the mental suppression field thingy?
PTeppic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2007, 10:12 PM   #25 (permalink)
Gav

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTeppic View Post
Wasn't that as much the effect of the mental suppression field thingy?
I'm referrring to the acting...

Don't believe me? Go watch it again.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: