Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Film & TV > Featured TV Series > Doctor Who

Doctor Who Splendid chaps!... All of them!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10th June 2007, 05:46 PM   #16 (permalink)
Certified Space Monkey

Re: 29.10: Blink

Considering that this was an episode filmed largely without either main actor due to time constraints on filming the series (so another unit can film stuff for another episode at the same time with principal actors whilst getting this one in the bag) I thought that it was very well done. It will certainly count towards the apparent goal of getting kids to be afraid of everyday objects - shop dummies, scarecrows, and now statues.

I thought the idea of the statues was brilliant, but can't help thinking that I've heard something similar before. I also didn't realise that they'd used people in masks and make-up for the Weeping Angels until I saw Confidential, but thinking about it, it would have saved a bit on the budget and on time (considering setup and resets take time), rather than having 20 statues in various poses, you could have 4 people with just 3 different masks each.

I liked the whole 'Back to the Future 3' ideas that were used - delivering the letter, leaving clues through time etc. It also explains, in some fashion (wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey), the concept of non-linear time in the Doctors adventures, which seems to have confused some people who write in to Teletext and the like asking questions regarding paradoxes, apparently having fried their brains trying to figure out why cause can sometimes come after effect.

It was still a strong episode considering the lack of David and Freema. A lot better than the last relatively Doctor free offering -'Love & Monsters'.

Certainly looked an interesting trailer for next week with Capt. Jack clinging to the outside of the TARDIS as it flies through time - very odd!

A bit off topic to address some confusion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
There are four Torchwood's - TW1 in London, TW2 in Cardiff, TW3 in Scotland and TW4 in Ireland. I think it was mentioned, by Jack in Torchwood, that TW3 has disappeared, and TW4 is run by a madman.
Close, TW1 was London, TW2 is Glasgow, run by, in Jack's words, "a very strange man", TW3 is Cardiff, TW4 is 'missing'.
Dr.Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 05:49 PM   #17 (permalink)
Iago with a Blackberry

Ooh, I've just started watching this episode and the statues are so weird! They remind of the hedges in The Shining (the book...they left them out in the film which was such a mistake!)...they keep moving, getting closer and closer...but you never seen them move. And those blank eyes are creepy! It's like what I said last week with The Family...you don't have to have huge and twisted monsters and aliens to scare people!
HoopyFrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 05:51 PM   #18 (permalink)
Press "X" to Admire Hat.

Location: [I am a spambot, selecting the default option - ban me!]

Same difference, Jackson.

---

You're right, the blank eyes were horrible!

They must be incredibly fast to move so much in a split-second blink of an eye.
Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 05:54 PM   #19 (permalink)
Iago with a Blackberry

Exactly, Lenny! And the worse thing is that you don't see them move, they just keep changing positions and getting closer and closer and reaching out...

Wow, I've seen so many horror films in my lifetime, but these statues are the creepiest things I've seen in quite a long time!
Old 10th June 2007, 05:57 PM   #20 (permalink)
Reetou Diplomatic Corp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
I don't know if it's because we live in such an age when things have to be truly horrifying to be scary, but I don't find myself scared by most things in Doctor Who.
It would be interesting to note their target audience age: it's got to be maybe 5-15 and 15-105 as extra viewers... tough to please both halves. Especially the 15-45 geeks/fans/Whovians who want canon consistency, scientific reasonability (where practical), nods to earlier episodes and all the rest. It's a long time since I was a youngling but I'd guess they're happy with a scary villain that looks halfway realistic and gets their come-uppance by the end of the show. Or have I just patronised an entire generation...?
PTeppic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 06:03 PM   #21 (permalink)
Press "X" to Admire Hat.

Location: [I am a spambot, selecting the default option - ban me!]

Not really. Modern Day Who is so much different from old Who. I can remember watching some of the 6 episode stories as a kid, and I was frightened. There was a time when Old Who used to be on after the Six O'Clock news. Can't remember who the Doctor was, but the story was some alines down in an old cave/mine, and the Doctor didn't seem to know who he was - those episodes scared me.

I have to say that some of the Torchwood episodes got me jumping, too.

I guess you're probably right about the young 'uns these days - I risk patronising here, but the majority of young 'uns won't understand a lot of it, and since they won't have been subjected to the more adult films and whatnot, that are scarier, they will find Dr. Who scary.
Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 06:23 PM   #22 (permalink)
Iago with a Blackberry

Oh, gods, that angel's face, that angel's face is EVIL! Man, that is some scary stuff, I expected it to be there ("You're not looking at the statue anymore"..."neither are you..." dum dum dum) But I didn't expect it to look like that!

Definitely agree, for a lack-of-main-characters episode, it certainly is very good!
Old 10th June 2007, 09:51 PM   #23 (permalink)

I loved this episode. The concept was so original, and the conversation across 38 years via dvd was brilliant. So many good bits and the witty script kept me gripped the whol way through. I was particularly impressed with the flickering bulb when Sally was trying to get into the Tardis, and the angels kept getting closer and closer. As scary aliens go, the angels will take some beating. Remember........dont blink ;-)

A fantastically original and well written script
lukic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 10:11 PM   #24 (permalink)

i liked this episode. it was good. i like it when they're supernatural ish, or sad, or macabre or something like this and last weeks, something tragic. i don't like them when they're monsters so much, or other rambled stuff. and personally i think that it's better when russell t davies isn't writing them.

i am sure the concept has been done, or at least, something about those angels, but i can't remember what.
the_faery_queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 10:16 PM   #25 (permalink)
Fortiter et recte!

I'm sure that I've read somewhere that it was loosely based on a story from the 2006 Annual.
pyan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 10:18 PM   #26 (permalink)
he's the madcap pusher

This was a really good episode full of drama. I loved the bit at the end when the light starts to go and you get the strobe effect, very creepy
sanityassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2007, 08:55 AM   #27 (permalink)
Reetou Diplomatic Corp

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyan View Post
I'm sure that I've read somewhere that it was loosely based on a story from the 2006 Annual.
Yes.
The BBC Doctor Who website presents said short story, with the introduction: "We present Steven Moffat's short story - originally published in the 2006 Doctor Who Annual - upon which Blink is based."
PTeppic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2007, 04:57 PM   #28 (permalink)
Misunderstood

Seems like I'm out of step with everyone on this one. I thought it was one of the worst episodes since RTD took over the franchise. I just found the whole thing boring and the statues not at all scary. I can imagine that 5 year olds would be hiding behind the sofa, though.
Briareus Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2007, 05:37 PM   #29 (permalink)
Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopyFrood View Post
Ooh, I've just started watching this episode and the statues are so weird! They remind of the hedges in The Shining (the book...they left them out in the film which was such a mistake!)...they keep moving, getting closer and closer...but you never seen them move. And those blank eyes are creepy! It's like what I said last week with The Family...you don't have to have huge and twisted monsters and aliens to scare people!
I was kind of reminded of the dead sea beastie (A manatee, iirc) in the Australian eco-horror 'Long Weekend' which keeps getting closer to the camp every time somebody isn't looking.
High Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2007, 07:48 PM   #30 (permalink)

I agree it was a great little episode.

Sally would make a great assistant.

It was adapted from a story Moffat had in one of the Annuals, but I think he is certainly the best writer on Nu-Who as his episodes have all rocked. (P.s He has also written the Jekyll series with James Nesbitt that is on soon)

Empty Child/Doctor Dances - The one with the kids in Gasmasks
The Girl in the Fireplace
Blink

He has been signed up to do a 2 parter in season 4 so Woot!!

Unfortunatly the next 3 episodes are written by RTD so will probably suck. (Return of Cpt Jack, Derek Jacodi and John Simms possibly being "The Master")
Lucien21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: