Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > General > Feedback

Feedback Raise questions, queries, bug reports, comments, general member feedback here, please. :)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd April 2007, 10:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tennis-ball Robin

Opera Browser...

Well, this isn't so much a problem, but a fix.

If anyone uses the recent Opera browser and have trouble viewing recent posts after you've left a page and then returned (you only see the new posts if you reload the page), here's how to fix this:

1) Go to the "Tools" meu at the top

2) Select "Preferences"

3) Go to the tab at the top that's called "Advanced"

4) Pick the left link that says "History"

5) Once on the history page, set the "Check Documents" and "Check Images" to "always". Your problem is now fixed perminantly.

Should you have an earlier version of Opera, the Preferences can be found in the File menu (if I recall correctly).

Hope this helps!

And whilst I'm here I'll just say thanks I, Brian, for such a wonderful forum.
Leisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2007, 10:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Scottish Roman

Re: Opera Browser...

The above is why I use Firefox.
The Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2007, 10:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tennis-ball Robin

I tried Firefox once ... couldn't get into it. Plus, Opera handles my emails at the same time, rather than using a seperate client. And now I've used it for years and would never, ever swap.

\o/
Old 22nd April 2007, 11:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fortiter et recte!

Well, this is on Opera 9.2 - I just downloaded it after your post, Leisha, and I can't see any appreciable speed improvement over Firefox. Do you use the features like mouse gestures much?
pyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2007, 11:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tennis-ball Robin

I switched mouse gestures off long ago! But no, that's not why I like Opera (well, anything's better and faster than IE for browsing, isn't it?).

I prefer it because, as said, it handles my e-mail too, and is set up just the way I want, which, I might add, has remained that way for the last five or so years. I'm a stick in the mud...
Old 22nd April 2007, 11:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fortiter et recte!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisha View Post
set up just the way I want, which, I might add, has remained that way for the last five or so years. I'm a stick in the mud...
Yes, I know what you mean - I switched to Firefox about a year ago, and now I'm used to it, and got it set up, like you say - it's just how I want it.
Well, I'll have a fiddle with Opera sometime - but finding your way round any new browser is a problem - you keep looking for features off your old one that aren't installed yet
pyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2007, 12:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tennis-ball Robin

Oh yes! That's why I stick to just one. Once you've installed the browser, I'd recommend going to "View", then "Toolbar", then switch on the Main Bar, the Status Bar, and the Address Bar. Also, when you right-click on a blank area in the program, you get a "Customise..." button up. That's the easiest way to configure Opera how you want.

Oh, and by pressing the arrow to the right of the Google search bar, you get a list of alternate searches you can make.

I'd also recommend switching on the Zoom Viewer, so you can zoom in and out of your web pages -- that's very handy.

Opera also handles CSS feeds, Torrents, Chat, and masking as other types of browsers (ideal for websites that are fussy!).
Oh, and it also has a feature that will either display popups, open popups in the background, block popups, or only open popups that are requested (i.e. if you click a link to open a new window).
And since I'm on a rant, I'll just point out that it can auto save all of your open tabs, so you can display them again once you restart your browser -- I love that feature. And it can save your "session" for opening later too, if you want to save your session/s. The last time I tried Firefox (oh, how many years ago now...) it never did any of these things. Alas, someone will probably tell me it does now...

Well anyway, I could go on and on, but that wasn't the reason for this thread...

Overall, two thumbs up from me!

Last edited by Leisha; 23rd April 2007 at 12:10 AM.
Old 23rd April 2007, 12:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
Red Rane

I love Opera. And now I love you too Leisha.

THANK YOU
Rane Longfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2007, 12:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tennis-ball Robin

I was hoping you'd spot this thread! Whilst browsing this section earlier, I noticed your comment re Opera.

Glad to help!

And yes, if it isn't obvious by now, I LOVE OPERA TOO!!!

Old 23rd April 2007, 12:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
Red Rane

It's only this forum it didn't seem to like, too... don't quite understand why.

Opera is great... it has so many nifty features that I haven't seen on Firefox or IE. Plus, I just found a new skin, with an origami theme - it looks so kick-ass now
Old 23rd April 2007, 12:32 AM   #11 (permalink)
Tennis-ball Robin

ATM I'm on "Marina" skin, with the red colour scheme added too! Haven't tried Origami though -- I'll have to have a look once the fad for this one wears out.

Actually, about the forum thing, I've heard it's happened on other sites too. But I couldn't tell you which, as I've only ever joined two forums -- one I shall not mention, since I didn't like the people's attitude on it; and this one, which is my all-time favourite!
Old 23rd April 2007, 12:36 AM   #12 (permalink)
Red Rane

Well, it's called Operagami-1, for reference

But no, I'm on quite a few other forums, several of which use the same software as chronies, and they all worked fine. Just here which was weird. But not anymore

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

*makes zooming noises and runs around room a few times*
Old 23rd April 2007, 12:42 AM   #13 (permalink)
Tennis-ball Robin

I know how you feel. As soon as I fixed my browser, I was zooming off to look at every forum topic I could, just to see them without having to reload each time! And now I love the Chrons a little more, if that's possible. That, and I won't have to miss people's replies anymore because the browser isn't showing them. Wooohooo!
Old 23rd April 2007, 12:47 AM   #14 (permalink)
Tennis-ball Robin

I should probably point out, though, that this fix won't work if you use the "Back" button in your browser; the back button makes Opera display its downloaded cache of the previous page/s, so until you click on a proper link on the site, you will continue to see the cached version of that page, not the current one online. But I can live with that.

I hope that's clear; I'm useless at explaining things...
Old 23rd April 2007, 01:01 AM   #15 (permalink)
Red Rane

Yeah, but that makes sense - the back button should show the previous page, not a changed version of it

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: