Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Authors > Michael Moorcock

Michael Moorcock Elric and friends

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th March 2007, 06:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hawkwind Documentary on BBC

Well, unless they decide to release this thing on DVD later, I'll not be able t see it, I imagine. But for those who are fans of either Moorcock or the band themselves, there's to be a documentary on Hawkwind:

BBC - BBC Four Listings - Programmes

It will air on BBC Four, Fri., 30 Mar., 21:00-22:00 and again at 23:50-00:50, and then Sat., 31 Mar., 02:50-03:50.

*sigh* Since I can't see it, would someone who can, please let me know how it was? Moorcock seems to feel pretty confident in the filmmaker on this one (he was interviewed for it), and expects it to be of good quality -- and that's about all I know, at this point....
j. d. worthington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2007, 06:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Fortiter et recte!

Re: Hawkwind Documentar on BBC

I saw them play live - Carlisle Market Hall, February 1973. Couldn't hear anything for two days, but...................
pyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2007, 06:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyan View Post
I saw them play live - Carlisle Market Hall, February 1973. Couldn't hear anything for two days, but...................
LOL. That ... errr... sounds about right...
Old 28th March 2007, 06:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fortiter et recte!

Yes, err...sorry, did you say something?

It was after the release of the "Silver Machine" single, and most people there expected all the music to be the same - a lot were surprised by Bob Calvert. Unfortunately I was about 15 metres from the left-hand speaker stacks, so I missed a lot of the nuances, if that's the right word. Rode home 18 miles on the bus, and I fell out onto the road at my stop, as my inner ears appeared to have stopped working. My parents refused to believe that I wasn't drunk!
Happy daze!
Old 28th March 2007, 06:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Born Again Pagan

Bugger... I'm away this weekend & I'm a fan of both of them.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2007, 06:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
It was after the release of the "Silver Machine" single, and most people there expected all the music to be the same - a lot were surprised by Bob Calvert.
I can only imagine....

You know... somewhat off-topic, I suppose, but what the heck... I've always found it interesting that Hawkwind didn't catch on over here more than they did. Not "plastic" enough? Certainly their music has at least as much to it (usually more than) as the majority of groups that did. I've a feeling that, had they been performing over here in the 1960s instead, they'd have been quite popular... but by the time they made their appearance over here, we were retreating into the Beach Boys sweetness-'n'-light sort of thing on the whole (*traumatic flashback of Peter Frampton and the Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band film here -- complete with severe shudders* )

Anyone have any thoughts on that one?

Errrr.... helllo....?

Ragnar: sorry to hear you'll be missing it... perhaps it will be rebroadcast at a later point....?
Old 28th March 2007, 07:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fortiter et recte!

What you must remember, j d, is that the UK is small. I mean, compared with the USA it's tiny. As a result one radio station and one tv station can cover the entire country, and if you can get your music on those, you're away. We also don't have the dedicated music style stations that you have - the idea of a station that only played, say, country music was never even envisioned in this country. As a result, you don't have to repeat getting your act heard for all the myriad of tv and radio stations that you have over the country.
Historically,very few British bands have ever managed the feat of "Cracking the States",and these have been far more popular over here (the Beatles, Stones, etc), than Hawkwind ever was.
Old 28th March 2007, 07:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Id already noticed this was on and have been looking forward to it all week. I remember reading that Hawkwind could have been a lot bigger in the UK but for their second single Urban Guerrilla("Im an urban guerrilla I make bombs in my cellar") coinciding with an IRA bombing campaign reducing their airplay to nil overnight. Big shame.
Stenevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2007, 08:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. d. worthington View Post
Well, unless they decide to release this thing on DVD later, I'll not be able t see it, I imagine. But for those who are fans of either Moorcock or the band themselves, there's to be a documentary on Hawkwind:

BBC - BBC Four Listings - Programmes

It will air on BBC Four, Fri., 30 Mar., 21:00-22:00 and again at 23:50-00:50, and then Sat., 31 Mar., 02:50-03:50.

*sigh* Since I can't see it, would someone who can, please let me know how it was? Moorcock seems to feel pretty confident in the filmmaker on this one (he was interviewed for it), and expects it to be of good quality -- and that's about all I know, at this point....
Thanks JD being a Friday night I may have missed that, I have seen Hawkwind quite a few times in their various line-ups mostly in and about London, stadium gigs, Uni gigs,H/Smith Odeon etc. also being a big fan of Mike M. they were good the early(70s) ones are my favorite.
Have not seem them for a few years though,I also have seen the tribute band called Stormbringer.

Still have them on vinyl but nothing to play them on now
Who's Wee Dug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2007, 08:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Fortiter et recte!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's Wee Dug View Post
Still have them on vinyl but nothing to play them on now
A mate of mine has one of these - had over a thousand LPs unplayed for years, but now swears by it.

USB Turntable by Ion, ITT will Digitize Your Records - £119.00

Review: Ion USB Turntable peripheral - Computeract!ve
Old 28th March 2007, 09:08 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
A mate of mine has one of these - had over a thousand LPs unplayed for years, but now swears by it.

USB Turntable by Ion, ITT will Digitize Your Records - £119.00

Review: Ion USB Turntable peripheral - Computeract!ve
Hi Pyan,

I had read the review in the mag but don't have the space for one maybe when I move back home in a few years I will get myself something to play them on.
Old 29th March 2007, 12:15 AM   #12 (permalink)

Well, there are some smaller stereos out there that are rather inexpensive these days. You can't get a really loud sound out of most of them (I gather they're designed for apartment/dorm dwellers), but they do give a good sound, and they're easy on the vinyl ... which is also what I've mostly got (several boxes' worth, and only about 20 CDs...) They're compact, and light, and, as I said, inexpensive; so you might keep an eye out for that sort of thing, too....
Old 30th March 2007, 11:31 PM   #13 (permalink)

Re: Hawkwind Documentary on BBC

I did watch the Documentary it was very informative and brought back some good memories, well the ones I could definitely remember you could almost get stoned at a Hawkwind gig by just being there talk about a blue haze.

Stacia was looking good as usual,MM gave a good insight into what is was like on the inside,but bad blood still exists between Nick Turner & Dave Brock where did the last 35 years go must have used a Silver Machine.

Being a BBC programme I think it will be out on DVD sometime I will check it out, I tried to record it on video but could not get it to tape from my Sony freeview box as the smartlink does not work between my recorder as it is not listed as one Sony reconizes just missed the programme before as I was watching the British Book Awards, Pterry did not win the Children book award for Wintersmith,that went to Ricky Gervais with Flanables of the Deep?
BBC4 AT 8PM music Docu.with Pink Floyd,Jimmy Hendrix,& Grateful Dead playing, missed most of it though.

Just watching it again and tried to tape using AV1 previously now using AV2 channel and it seems to be recording so if it works out OK would you like a copy J D.

Last edited by Who's Wee Dug; 31st March 2007 at 12:04 AM. Reason: added some text
Old 31st March 2007, 10:01 PM   #14 (permalink)

I watched it too, very entertaining. Lots of interviews with old band members and others including Nick Kent, Mathew Wright and Michael Moorcock. Lemmy was on telling his usual anecdotes, heard them all before but hes always entertaining. With a bit of luck it will turn up on Youtube or somewhere on the net for people not in the UK to watch. Incidentally can anyone recommend any Hawkwind from after 1990, Ive got just about everything from before that but stopped buying records around then.

On before it Sounds of the Sixties was good too, one of the best episodes. Its worth keeping your eyes out for BBC4 on a Friday night, they put a lot of good music shows on. A couple of weeks back they had a night dedicated to New York rock which was pretty good. Unfortunately its Soul next week which im not keen on.
Stenevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2007, 11:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
owns a talking carpet.

I watched this documentary, being a big fan of the band since the early '70's.

Quite enjoyed it, but it's a shame that due to the bad blood between Turner and Brock, Brock refused to appear.

Another niggle....during the 'Space Ritual' bit of the programme, the filmaker played the studio version of 'Space is Deep' as opposed to that on 'Space Ritual' itself. Only a slight niggle, but a niggle nonetheless. These things matter y'know!!!

This is my first post and I know that I should have introduced myself first, but it was googling for Hawkwind which brought me here to this forum, so I couldn't really resist posting in this thread first.

So, 'Hi' to all. I'll next appear in the Introduction forum.
Chupacobra is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: