Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Books and Literature > Graphic Novels and Comics

Graphic Novels and Comics Discuss all Graphic Novels and Comics, writers, artists, publications, here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th February 2012, 09:57 PM   #436 (permalink)

Re: What comic books/graphic novels are you reading at the moment?

I am reading this one...
Tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 11:17 PM   #437 (permalink)
Kraken Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post
I am reading this one...
I want it.
thatollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2012, 12:31 PM   #438 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatollie View Post
I want it.

You can't have mine.
I got it from a car boot sale & paid the princely sum of 50p for it.
Old 10th February 2012, 02:19 PM   #439 (permalink)
Riding the trails

It's on Ebay, just picked one up for 3.50
crooksy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2012, 02:24 PM   #440 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crooksy73 View Post
It's on Ebay, just picked one up for 3.50

Well done! Good price.
Old 14th February 2012, 10:18 PM   #441 (permalink)

Spider Man loves Mary Jane.

It's an alternate continuity thing focusing on Mary Jane in high school, and her interactions with other A-listers from Spider-Man. It's basically shoujo manga with American characters for an American audience. They even got a Japanese guy to draw it.

I liked it for what it was.
Wish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012, 04:57 PM   #442 (permalink)

I've just read the first three Fables Graphics and the second Goon one by Eric Powell as well as Marvels not so great Halo one. I'd never read graphic novels before but my friend lent me them and boy am I glad he did. Its opened my eyes to a new medium of reading!
Azzagorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2012, 09:49 PM   #443 (permalink)
Iago with a Blackberry

Despite having been lent them a long while back (and reading through the first four) today I got stuck into Frank Miller's Elektra: Assassin.

And ended up reading all eight issues in one sitting.

SO GOOD. Such a crazy plot, and with the best characters. Elektra, mystical, enigmatic Elektra who looks absolutely amazing in every single panel she's in. Garrett, who can be hilarious and tragic and literally a machine. The Beast. Ken Wind and his creepy face. Perry -- lunatic Perry. Chastity, doing whatever it takes to complete her job, but telling you off if you dare even think of swearing.

The art is stunning, completely complementing the mad story.

Definitely up there as one of the best things I've read. As in, all reading materials. I don't want to give them back. Luckily, technically I don't have to.
HoopyFrood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2012, 10:19 PM   #444 (permalink)
Orange Aide ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopyFrood View Post
Despite having been lent them a long while back (and reading through the first four) today I got stuck into Frank Miller's Elektra: Assassin.

And ended up reading all eight issues in one sitting.

SO GOOD. Such a crazy plot, and with the best characters. Elektra, mystical, enigmatic Elektra who looks absolutely amazing in every single panel she's in. Garrett, who can be hilarious and tragic and literally a machine. The Beast. Ken Wind and his creepy face. Perry -- lunatic Perry. Chastity, doing whatever it takes to complete her job, but telling you off if you dare even think of swearing.

The art is stunning, completely complementing the mad story.

Definitely up there as one of the best things I've read. As in, all reading materials. I don't want to give them back. Luckily, technically I don't have to.

Woohoo! So very glad you liked it.

I remember when I first looked at them as a young 'un, I hated the artwork, but as I, ahem, matured, I grew to love it more and more. Now I can't imagine it being any better. So visceral at times and so beautiful at others. As you say, it complements the story perfectly.

And no, you don't have to give them back, but you better look after them
No One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2012, 10:41 PM   #445 (permalink)
Former Comment Giver

That has to be one of the few Frank Miller books that I have not read...

At a time when I am seriously truncating what comic books I read, I'm working my way through the back log of material I bought before cancelling most of my regular order.

So currently working through most of the X-Men and related titles (so quite a lot then). Following that just the ones that I am sticking with (nearly a years worth of each - Fables, The Boys, Wheel of Time, Game of Thrones, Next Men and a few limited series.
Perpetual Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2012, 10:52 PM   #446 (permalink)
Orange Aide ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpetual Man View Post
That has to be one of the few Frank Miller books that I have not read...
Oddly enough, I'm now thinking I just haven't read enough of Miller's work. I'm familiar with his work on Daredevil and I only vaguely recall his stuff on The Dark Knight, but other than that there's a whole lot of his work which I really ought to look into. Sin City for starters.

Needless to say, I'd highly recommend the Elektra: Assassin series. It's Elektra as she was meant to be, envisioned by Miller without any of the shackles of mainstream comics.

Oh, and Hoopy says, quote, "DO IT!"

(Good luck with going through all those x-men by the way! )
No One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2012, 07:22 AM   #447 (permalink)
Former Comment Giver

Quote:
Originally Posted by No One View Post
Oddly enough, I'm now thinking I just haven't read enough of Miller's work. I'm familiar with his work on Daredevil and I only vaguely recall his stuff on The Dark Knight, but other than that there's a whole lot of his work which I really ought to look into. Sin City for starters.

Needless to say, I'd highly recommend the Elektra: Assassin series. It's Elektra as she was meant to be, envisioned by Miller without any of the shackles of mainstream comics.

Oh, and Hoopy says, quote, "DO IT!"

(Good luck with going through all those x-men by the way! )
Sin City is well worth the effort, there are a couple that are not quite as good as the others but as a whole they are magnificent.

With all the stuff Miller gets mentioned for one that slips under the radar is Daredevil: Born Again, probably my favourite Miller story.

My plan is to finish all my back logged monthly titles and then start buying a few graphic novels, so Elektra can go on to the top of that.
Old 19th February 2012, 01:18 PM   #448 (permalink)
Would-be author

Not a genre graphic novel, but I've just finished reading Art Spiegelman's 'The Complete Maus'. Been meaning to read it for a long time, but was prompted to get on with it when Spiegelman was on BBC Radio 4's Bookclub two Sundays ago. He was an eloquent advocate for his own work, without being in any way arrogant, so I got it the following Sunday. Well, well worth reading. I've also got Spiegelman's new book, 'MetaMAUS', which is a non-fiction exploration of how he went about writing Maus. Looking forward to getting stuck into that next.
Patrick Mahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2012, 03:29 PM   #449 (permalink)
Luna tick

Just finished Transmetropolitan vol 2 and 3 (need to get the other 7 as I love it)

Got Conan vol 5 to get started on (waiting for vol 6 to arrive)

Also I have recently joined the Marvel Ultimate Graphic novels collection - waiting for 3 and 4 to arrive (shortly I hope)

And, on the advice of someone here I bought the vessel of terror, which I have yet to start.

Oh, and finished my Gunslinger/dark tower book 1 (I read them in the wrong order, but book 1 is the, in my opinion, the one that I knew most of from the books) so now I have the road to home to read and then I think I've read them all.

So, in a word, lots.
Moonbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2012, 10:06 PM   #450 (permalink)
Former Comment Giver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Mahon View Post
Not a genre graphic novel, but I've just finished reading Art Spiegelman's 'The Complete Maus'. Been meaning to read it for a long time, but was prompted to get on with it when Spiegelman was on BBC Radio 4's Bookclub two Sundays ago. He was an eloquent advocate for his own work, without being in any way arrogant, so I got it the following Sunday. Well, well worth reading. I've also got Spiegelman's new book, 'MetaMAUS', which is a non-fiction exploration of how he went about writing Maus. Looking forward to getting stuck into that next.
Maus is a phenomenal graphic novel, thanks for mentioning the MetaMAUS I did not know about it, is definitely worth looking at.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: