Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Publishers & Industry > Publishing

Publishing Questions and answers about the publishing industry, featuring answers from literary agents, publisher writers, and editors.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th February 2007, 06:03 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Lurker

Re: reading and editing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormpirate View Post
Reading outside your "comfort zone" is also good if you're a writer. You have to know what's already been done, even if it's outside your chosen genre.

John, what's the ancient Egyptian novel? I recently finished reading Wilbur Smith's River God and loved it, so I'd be interested in more novels set during that timeframe.
If you just want a recommendation, try picking up "The Egyptian" (a.k.a Sinuhe the Egyptian) by Mika Waltari. It is probably the best Egyptian historical fiction I've ever come across and I read it religiously every year.
Commonmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2007, 08:42 PM   #17 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jarrold View Post
I love James. He was published by Random House in the UK when I worked there in the mid-90s, and I had the pleasure of meeting him several times, and chatting about books and films. You can't mistake his style for anyone else, and books like The Big Nowhere, White Jazz, L A Confidential and American Tabloid are all favourites.
Thanks for that, John. Must have been interesting to meet him. I've read several of his novels and have to say he's one of my favorite writers. Then again, I really like noir, which is how I'd label his L.A. novels. Have you read his memoir, My Dark Places? It is part autobiography, part the story of his search for the murderer of his mother. Interesting book. I recommend it.
littlemissattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2007, 08:58 AM   #18 (permalink)

Yes, I was there when we acquired and publioshed that - and James spoke about it when he came into the office. He used to turn up once a year, loaded with French cheese, crusty bread and champagne, for whoever happened to be around the office that day. I remember we discussed the film made of the Black Dahlia case in the 70s, with Efram Zimbalist Jr (who my generation remembers from 77 Sunset Strip!)...
John Jarrold is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: