Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Science fiction and fantasy > SFF lounge

SFF lounge General discussion about scifi and fantasy, such as themes and topics generic to books and media - plus favourite likes and dislikes, general questions and comments.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd January 2007, 06:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
tired... so tired...

Favorite SF&F Toys?

I collect vintage sf toys -- robots and ray guns from the Thirties through Sixties -- and was just thinking: Does anyone else have any favorite science fiction or fantasy related toys? Collectible or not, doesn't matter. Could be something from your youth, or something you own today. Define "toy" however you'd like. To get things rolling, here are two of mine.

ē The first is called Hook Robot, due to the little hook-like antenna. It's a tin Japanese toy, and was manufactured in the mid- to late Fifties by a comapny called Waco. It's friction powered; just rev it along the floor and let it go. The robot rolls forward while its head turns side to side. This guy's pretty rare, and it took me a long time to find him. (The challenge is half the fun.)

ē The second toy is the Pyrotomic Disintegrator, a plastic space gun made in 1953 by a U.S. company called Pyro Plastics. It really doesn't do much -- pull the trigger and the barrel moves back and forth in a recipricating motion. But it's so iconic, capturing (in my opinion) everything that was cool about retro-future design. I'm also intrigued by the weird dichotomy between "child's toy" and "weapon," which is highlighted by the bright candy colors (it was also available in copper/silver, which I have, but I like this one more). It also clealy illustrates the paranoia of the time: In "the future," we'll travel into space where there's a very good chance of something finding us and possibly eating us. So be prepared to blast first and ask questions later! Hm...

The Pyrotomic is also extremely rare. I only know of three other examples in this color (though I'm sure some more are lurking in people's attics and basements).

I've got more pics of old toys on my web site, but (a) I'm not allowed to post links yet, and (b) I don't want to come across as self promoting. :)
Attached Thumbnails
Favorite SF&F Toys?-hook-sm.jpg   Favorite SF&F Toys?-pyro-red-sm.jpg  
Dr. Atomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2007, 04:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
If you see a stranger...

Re: Favorite SF&F Toys?

Our SciFi room spilling over with toys - My favs are the Reboot characters. I probably get someone in every week asking to buy them - My son plays with all of the smaller action figures too, so I guess Reboot is a family fav.
Attached Thumbnails
Favorite SF&F Toys?-reboot.jpg  
BookStop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2007, 04:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Silly Person

I have a few dragon figures standing around and I have a Corpse Bride doll, plus a The Crow set-up (the roof of the church with dools of Erik Draven and Top Dollar engaged in their last fight with their weapons).
Nikitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2007, 05:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Member The Black Company

I have a model of the Enterprise that I put together in the early 70's!
The DeadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2007, 10:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
The Cat

A giant plush Cthulhu that lives at the bottom of my bed. Some days I'm sure he's trying to tell me something, other days he looks like he's been up to something and some days he just looks very angry.

A smaller plush Cthulhu that lives on one of my book piles along with a giant red dragon called Socrates.

Two stone gargoyles that are currently in a box in storage along with a huge wooden five-clawed dragon.
Nesacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2007, 04:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lady of Autumn

I don't think you could call them 'toys', but I used to collect dragon figurines. I don't collect as much SF/F merchandise as I'd like to, but I'd say that my favourite from my meagre collection is my Cloud Strife (from Final Fantasy 7) keyring.
Talysia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2007, 04:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Iago with a Blackberry

I have a cuddly Cthulhu as well! He's a puppet, so you can make his tentacles wiggle. He sleeps in my bed (dreaming and waiting, you might say! )
HoopyFrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2007, 05:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
On the Edge of Sanity

I've got a rather large collection of pewter Star Trek starships. Quite a colleciton of original Star Wars figures, too.
Hawkshaw_245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 12:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Spiff's Stunt Double

Weíll Iíve got WAAAY too many lightsabers, including one of those £100 motion sensitive Force FX models(replica of Anakinís Ep III hilt.) I canít help it. Itís the coolest weapon EVER!

Iíve also got a pair of Neo and Trinity figurines (Lobby Shootout) from Macfarlane toys book-ending my Matrix DVDís.

I would have much more in the way of Sci-Fi toys, were my self control not quite so tight and my bank account not quite so desolate and windsweptÖ
Coolhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2007, 11:06 AM   #10 (permalink)

My 12" Darth Vader with retractible light sabre and my big ass 16" poseable "Alien" with killer action tongue, removeable head cover, and glow in the dark skull.

Dee
TheDeeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2007, 11:47 AM   #11 (permalink)
Iago with a Blackberry

Oh, yeah! I forgot about there...

I also have a chess set that have the Lord of the Rings people as the pieces. Good against evil and all that jazz. And I also have a small Aragorn model that stand guarding my bookshelf and a larger Aragorn still in his box under the bed. And also a Sam and a Frodo model, also both still in their boxes and three little Ghost Army figures.
HoopyFrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2007, 04:56 AM   #12 (permalink)
tired... so tired...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeeMan View Post
My 12" Darth Vader with retractible light sabre and my big ass 16" poseable "Alien" with killer action tongue, removeable head cover, and glow in the dark skull.
Those large Aliens are cool -- hard to find today, especially with the head cover. (Well, hard to find without paying a good chunk of cash...) A company called Kubrick just released a three-inch version that combines the Kubrick look (sort of like a lego figure) and the Alien -- including the see-through head piece. They even changed their box art to mimic the original. It's kind of neat, though not nearly as neat as the original.
Dr. Atomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2007, 09:31 AM   #13 (permalink)
Shiny! Let's be bad guys.

Well I did see a 7 foot uruk-hai model in a game shop once, but I think my wife might have killed me if i'd bought it It looked like this one

I don't really have any models or anything.
Joel007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2007, 08:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
Likes Comics and Pudding

My favourite toys change all the time, my current fav is My hellboy action figure i got for my birthday

i also like my Joker figure (designed by Jim Lee, comic artist) and my marvel Legends figures
Alienweirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2007, 10:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Favorite Food of 4-yo's

I have a plush dragon?

>_< Pathetic, I know. I'd love to collect vintage SFF toys like you do but I wouldn't know what to buy and how much to buy it for. Or where for that matter *sigh*.
Sketti is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: