Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Books and Literature > Book Club

Book Club The chronicles-network book club: a reading group, open to all.

View Poll Results: Pick the most interesting flavor...
The Master and Margarita, Bulgakov 0 0%
The Deed of Paksenarrion, Moon 1 6.67%
Hades' Daughter, Douglass 3 20.00%
Replay, Grimwood 0 0%
Soldier of Sidon, Wolfe 0 0%
Armageddon's Children, Brooks 2 13.33%
The Long Run, Moran 4 26.67%
Scar Night, Campbell 5 33.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th November 2006, 09:06 PM   #31 (permalink)
Goblin Princess

Re: Vote for Jan/Feb/Mar Titles

I suppose Gollum means that the book has been available in his part of the world for a while.

This is one of the hazards of a book club on an international online forum like this one. Books that are readily available for some of us are hard and expensive to find for others. At least we've got enough lead time to order some of these books from overseas if we have to.
Teresa Edgerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2006, 01:48 AM   #32 (permalink)
Fierce Vowelless One

First, yes Scar Night is first for January - there's time to ask your local library to carry it when it comes out. Elsewise (is that a word?) can they be ordered from amazon.uk and shipped to US addresses? Don't know on that. Perhaps I'll call the publisher and tell them we need multiple copies for our book club and can we buy them early? Maybe if I ask nicely? Maybe if Brian asks? I'll see what I can find out.

Feb is The Long Run, since it is an older title I don't see why a used paperback version wouldn't do. Minor differences in publishing shouldn't keep us from discussing the story and writing itself.

March is Hades' Daughter - that shouldn't be too difficult so I won't worry about it now.
dwndrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2006, 02:14 AM   #33 (permalink)
Goblin Princess

I order stuff from amazon.co.uk ... I won't say all the time, because I don't have that kind of money ... but a few times a year, anyway. They do ship here, and most of the time it's no slower than ordering titles domestically, but it's a little pricey. Certainly not worth the money just to get the book a month earlier.

If I can get it at a bookstore at the end of December, that would still be plenty of time to read the book before January is well advanced.
Old 21st November 2006, 05:26 AM   #34 (permalink)
Keep Moving Forward!

Yeah, Gollum is talking locally - because I've seen it out here (Australia) for at least a month now. Hoping my library gets it in and that I can get it around the last half of December. Otherwise might ask Santa for it...

On The Long Run, are they both the same book in two print runs by seperate publishers, or is one revised, like say Feist revised Magician? Even if so, it'd be interesting if some folks had read one and others the other, to see different reactions.

Last edited by Culhwch; 21st November 2006 at 05:27 AM. Reason: Tpyo. Yes, that one's intentional.
Culhwch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2006, 09:07 AM   #35 (permalink)
smiling politely

I will definitely be buying the cheap one! I'm off to order it now...

I have to say, I just assumed that since Scar Night was out here that it would be out everywhere! We normally get everything last here! It has been out in trade paperback here for a couple of months. Maybe if it's a problem we could consider swapping it to Feb and reading The Long Run first?
jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2006, 11:10 PM   #36 (permalink)
Jack of all trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Rat View Post
And which version of The Long Run are we going to read? There's a relatively cheap used Spectra edition available on Amazon U.S. for under $4.00, but the used Quiet Vision Pub edition is going for over $65.00, which I can't afford.
Well that's a hard choice

Realistcally however it would be nice if we could all get hold of Scar Night as soon as possible and it would be cool if we could have it before most people because of our Chronicles connections.
jackokent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2006, 11:40 AM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwndrgn View Post
First, yes Scar Night is first for January - there's time to ask your local library to carry it when it comes out. Elsewise (is that a word?) can they be ordered from amazon.uk and shipped to US addresses? Don't know on that. Perhaps I'll call the publisher and tell them we need multiple copies for our book club and can we buy them early? Maybe if I ask nicely? Maybe if Brian asks? I'll see what I can find out.

Feb is The Long Run, since it is an older title I don't see why a used paperback version wouldn't do. Minor differences in publishing shouldn't keep us from discussing the story and writing itself.

March is Hades' Daughter - that shouldn't be too difficult so I won't worry about it now.
Amazon.co.uk say Scar Night in paperback isn't available until 4th May 2007.
mosaix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2006, 05:22 PM   #38 (permalink)
This world is not my home

Here in the State even the Hard Cover of Scar Night will not be available (according to Barnes & Nobles) until after Christmas. I would second the suggestion that we alter the order and do Scar Night last.

I might be a little prejudiced here. Reading Scar Night will be a major stretch for me. As a general rule, I strongly dislike Fantasy. I had to struggle to read the Hobbit. Never read the Lord of the Rings trilogy, but went with my son to see the movie which was okay. (the movie, going with my son was a high light!)
Parson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2006, 07:28 AM   #39 (permalink)
smiling politely

Well, I think that's one of the points of the club, to broaden your reading horizons.

You poor Americans who are now experiencing what life can be like for us way over here might consider ordering from an Aussie distributor. They have it for sale here , although with International postage added it might be a bit expensive, works out to about $41 USD. I'm sure that's a bit more than what you'd normally pay! International postage is such a bitch! It's the main reason that I don't order from Amazon etc unless I absolutely have to. I ordered The Long Run from there, book cost about $3.50USD, postage $10!
jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2006, 01:58 PM   #40 (permalink)

I would agree that one of the purposes is to expand your reading horizons, but when my book budget is something like $25 a month, I am not going to pay $40 or more for something I will probably read more out of duty than enjoyment. I do enough "duty" reading in my job.
Old 24th November 2006, 04:29 PM   #41 (permalink)
Fierce Vowelless One

Some people have already set their schedules around the results here so I'm not sure switching titles/months would be very nice for them.

Anyone else want to chime in on this?
Old 24th November 2006, 04:45 PM   #42 (permalink)
Goblin Princess

I think if we try to satisfy everyone we will often find ourselves unable to settle on titles in time to discuss them.

And Parson, nobody is required to do anything they don't want to do or to put themselves out in any way. But for the Book Club to work, everyone can't just limit their participation to the books they have on hand and/or would be reading anyway. That's how the last Book Club died.

Last time we did this, I got burned buying and/or reading books I didn't want and didn't like, while the people who had voted for the books never turned up for the discussion at all. Yet I'm willing to make the same sort of committment and take the same risk (for a couple of months at least, to see what happens) because I'd really like to see the Book Club succeed this time around.

Are those who agitated so vigorously for another go at this willing to do the same?
Old 24th November 2006, 05:47 PM   #43 (permalink)
Jack of all trades

I'm willing to get and read the book, I am not sure a price tag of $45 wouldn't put me off a bit though. I think that's a bit steep when we could simply choose a book that's in print first and wait until Scar Night is more readily (cheaply) availble.

I would vote for doing Long Run 1st. I know we had a proper and fair vote over it but the circumstances are somewhat unusual and if we want something to fail at the first hurdle the price / availability thing is likely to do it.

That's unless there is anyway of setting up a Chronicles distribution - and I have no idea how that might work, it was just an idea.
jackokent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2006, 06:22 PM   #44 (permalink)

I am eager to be part of the book club. One thing you can be sure of is that I live up to my commitments. If I say I will be part, I will be part. I have often thought it would be wonderful to be a part of a book club. I am willing to read things that I wouldn't ordinarily read. So do not read too much into my saying that "Scar Night" would be a stretch. The money issue is more to the point. I will happily wait until month two to join if this is slowing the process of this club down. I have already purchased "The Long Run" and its predecssor "Emerald Eyes" ---- It is hard for me to imagine that I haven't read those before they look like the kinds of SF that would really turn my crank, but nothing outside of the cover of "The Long Run" and the title "Emerald Eyes" has anything like a memory for me.--- But if you are willing to change the order than I will be happy to be part of the discussion for Scar Night. Whatever is best for the largest group of people is fine with me.
Old 24th November 2006, 07:21 PM   #45 (permalink)
Fierce Vowelless One

I'm reluctant to switch things around this long after the end of the vote. To that end I'm still looking into other ways to get readers the books. I've found several ARC's (advance review copy) available for cheaper than the new hardback will be on ebay:

eBay - scar night, scar night Books, Fiction Books items on eBay.com

and bookfinder has a nice listing too: BookFinder.com: Search and Price Comparison for New, Out-of-Print and Used Books

As I said, I'm still looking into alternatives, but it may just be a few of us for this first month.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: