Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Authors > David Eddings

David Eddings The Belgariad and beyond

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th August 2007, 07:36 AM   #16 (permalink)
weirdo

Re: my opinion of The Dreamers

I too shall raise my hand, having read all 4 of them. It was painful and heart breaking that an author i'd enjoyed reading so much could actually put these out to print. 1 story repeated 4 times. I think it'd take alot of very good reviews before i pick another of his books up, great shame.
Soggyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 03:59 PM   #17 (permalink)

i am amazed that anyone could get to the end of 1 of these let alone 4...i feel sorry for you....all that wasted effort...
Parmenion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 06:54 PM   #18 (permalink)
Royal Champion of Elenia

i dont think that the books were that bad, they were still readable (unlike some fantasy i have tried to read) unfortunately, Eddings has reused ideas from his other books, without improving on them.
Sir_Sparhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2007, 06:31 AM   #19 (permalink)
Oni of the Crimson Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Sparhawk View Post
i dont think that the books were that bad, they were still readable (unlike some fantasy i have tried to read) unfortunately, Eddings has reused ideas from his other books, without improving on them.
Very ture sir sparkhawk, but unlike with the dreamers, his previous four sets of books had a well structured story, intelligent and fun dialogue and endings that could be enjoyed and understood. With The Dreamers the whole time I was reading it was as if while he was writing it he said, **** it, I can away with this, and he couldn't.

I will admit there were some good concepts in it, but the story as a whole was uneventful, a waste of money and frankly I think he should hang his head in shame.

As to you Soggyfox, I doubt very much he'll write any more books

he's 76 years old and with his wife dying at the beginning of the year he probably has no motivation or inspiration left to write with. I'm afraid to say that the Dreamers was an unuspectacular and unfortunately pathetic end to the career of a great writer.
Riven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2007, 04:11 PM   #20 (permalink)

There is little I can say that is good about this series other than the first part of the first book started with a little promis.

Ok we'll ignore totally that the characteres are the same ones we've been reading for the past 20 years with different names...

With the passing of Leigh the creative umph went out of the fram and this is glaringly obvious when were on the last book... I really dont want to trounce this too much but seriously the plot about Bobby Euing coming back in the shaower becuase his death was a dream (Dallas the TV series for those too young to remember)was a better plot than this.

I would STRONGLY recomend to anybody who has not picked up this series.. DONT. leave it alone and remember the books you loved such as the belgariad and such... this last set of books will do nothing more than leave you with a very very bad taste in your mouth and spoil some very fond memories of past greatness.

xx
Harleyquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2007, 12:30 PM   #21 (permalink)
Oni of the Crimson Storm

Aye, this is unfortunately very true

When I was finished I had to go back and read all the other Eddings boooks just to try and erase the bad feelings I had about Dreamers.
Riven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2007, 08:13 PM   #22 (permalink)

The whole "The Dreamer" series has proved to be very poor.
The last 2 Books, had me thinking I was reading the same pages again...over and over.

It seemed that every converstaion had to be repeated 2-3 times.

Every new chapter was like the start of a new book giving a what has happened section.

I dont know why Eddings has done so poorly.

Last edited by Teresa Edgerton; 28th June 2008 at 07:48 PM. Reason: removed links
Beld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 04:28 PM   #23 (permalink)
Oook

I just finished them. In conclusion : a waste of money and time. That was painfully boring, with useless flashback throughout each and every chapter, and the conclusion was a complete mockery and I'm being gentle 'cause I just can't find the words to express myself better in English.
sci-fi girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2009, 12:09 PM   #24 (permalink)

I'm almost done with the first book, and I must say although they are not as good as Bel/Mal, I'm still enjoying it. Longbow is an OK character, but I really like Rabbit and Commander Narasan.
I do miss his dry wit, but it's still better than the mountains of drivel on offer at the bookstores these days.
X'Nedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 11:00 AM   #25 (permalink)

I'm almost done with the second book - I enjoyed how he wrote this one. OK, so it's taking a while for the story to move, but I'm really enjoying the back stories of the characters.

Yep, he is definitely reusing characters and ideas, but there are some interesting expansions on the original ideas. I like the ever-changing enemy, and I can definitely see where he wanted to go with this series. He obviously enjoys a good war plot, so it's clear that the point of this series was a stream of wars with an enemy that changes, and different climates and conditions. Unfortunately his wife got ill and died, and he obviously just lost his drive

If they had written this 5 or 10 years earlier it would have been easily as spectacular as the Bel/Mal series'.
X'Nedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2010, 04:03 AM   #26 (permalink)
Oook

Books one and two weren't that bad. There was some potential indeed. But books three and four, I had a hard time to finish them. So many repetitions, useless repetitions urgh.
sci-fi girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2010, 06:22 AM   #27 (permalink)

i actualy enjoyed the books but still. those books were so badly written that... . as his career moved on he started taking the easy way out more and more. even his early books wer badly written [still excellent though]. but thats for another thread.
assasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2010, 08:14 PM   #28 (permalink)

not his best. i wonder if he started getting senile. his writing skills got so bad that it started to effect the story. why couldnt those two creater beings [or whatever theyre called] kill the antagonist [havent read the books in a while] when they first noticed it. i guess he doesnt want logic to get in the way of his profits. i would say story but...
assasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2011, 06:38 PM   #29 (permalink)

After slogging thru them again my opinion is they were ghost-written. I think maybe David and Leigh provided the outline before she died but some editor filled in the blanks.
Thaisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 01:16 AM   #30 (permalink)

Wow... reviews here are a lot more forgiving than I expected.

The Dreamers was totally and utterly complete garbage. It's unfortunate that I hate leaving things unfinished, because I ended up reading all 4 books, and there's absolutely nothing about the series which isn't pure crap.

So you have the bad guy, some super mother bug, which breeds and evolves newer bugs, fighting against, let's see... All the armies of the whole world. The 4 gods of the world. No, still not enough. The other 4 elder gods of the world. And of course, the 2 ultimate and omnipotent gods of the universe as well. yeah. right.

They go to each corner of the world, make a big fuss in raising an army and preparing defenses, all of which is completely useless, since one of the gods creates a natural disaster to wipe out the bugs. This repeats in all 4 books, and even all that's totally useless, since the gods are omnipotent, and they just go back in time to fix things, so everything that happened, never happened in the first place. What a joke.
meenamjah is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: