Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Film & TV > Featured Films > Star Wars

Star Wars The Star Wars movies: original trilogy and new prelude trilogy.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd December 2010, 09:13 AM   #16 (permalink)
|-O-| (-O-) |-O-|

Re: Jar Jar Binks

In fairness to Jar Jar, the Original trilogy had the Ewoks. If i remember rightly, they too suffered their fair share of scorn.
Rodders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2010, 08:45 PM   #17 (permalink)
Science fiction fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Crankenstein View Post
I like Jar Jar. I don't understand why everyone think's he is so annoying.

When it comes down to it he's just this trilogy's version of C3P0. What's the difference? A British accent?
I totally agree with you about Jar Jar Binks.
Deathpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2010, 11:40 PM   #18 (permalink)
Sunset colored eyes

Quote:

When it comes down to it he's just this trilogy's version of C3P0. What's the difference? A British accent?
Well, Jar jar had a much larger screen presence than C3PO did, because he was a much more "over the top" comedian.

Unfortunately, his screen presence was so large, that it got in the way of the whole viewing experience for people who didn't buy a ticket to see a comedy.
C Of K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011, 04:02 AM   #19 (permalink)
Science fiction fantasy

Quote:

I like Jar Jar also. It reminds of me of myself and how many things I do wrong everyday. I'm not clumsy, but I do other things wrong. Now if Quigon asked me if I was brainless I'd say yes. It would be the truth.
Deathpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011, 08:43 PM   #20 (permalink)
Sunset colored eyes

Well, at least you wouldn't "boom the gasser" that's what really got Jar Jar into the whole mess in the first place.
C Of K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2011, 09:48 PM   #21 (permalink)
I am the wild blue yonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Long before galactic strife enveloped his native Naboo, Jar Jar Binks was exiled from the underwater city of Otoh Gunga. His main sin: being clumsy in front of the head of his clan. To hear Jar Jar tell it in his Gungan/Basic pidgin, he "boomed da gasser, and crashed de boss's heyblibber, den banished."
After reading this, for some reason I pictured him as a Malazan sapper tossing a cusser in one of Steven Erikson's novels.
Jar Jar Binks: Bridgeburner
The Spurring Platty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2011, 02:41 PM   #22 (permalink)
Metalhead

I'm a big fan of Star Wars and rented all three of the original movies on VHS back in the early 90s when all my friends said they were childish movies. One look at the cover was all it took for them. Then the movies weree re-released with updated special effects, and suddenly 'everyone' loved them and had done so for years. Idiots. Naturally, I was first in line. Which was easy enough, as no one slept outside to get a ticket. There were seats left, come to think of it.

Skip to Episode 1. I really looked forward to it, but then we got "For lenge, lenge siden..." Yeah, that's right. "A long time agg..." in norwegian. Sure I live in Norway, but still. It ruined the mood for me. I still gave the movie a go, but the kid was so annoying I couldn't take it. And Jar Jar? *groan* In the end, I watched Episode 2 on DVD when it was out and borrowed Episode 3 from my brother six months after it was out. Fortunately there was no Jar-Jar, but the movies were horrible.

I could say a lot about those movies, but let's stick to Jar Jar. He was horrible. C3PO was fun, but not too fun. He had his uses. The ewoks were fun, but in a "they could be dangerous" kinda fun. You want to laugh if you get surrounded by ewoks, but not sure if you dare. They took down an AT-ST, for Christ sake. But Jar Jar? The most annoying character in any sci-fi move ever. Or at least close to. So yeah, I hate him with a passion.

It could end there, but then I watched the The Clone Wars-movie. Well, to be precise, I watched twenty minutes, then turned it off. But I gave it another try and really started enjoying it. In fact, I loved it so much that when the credits rolled at the end, I went online and ordered The Clone Wars Season 1 on DVD. And later season 2.

The fun thing is there was an episode with Darth Jar Jar. (don't ask...) As soon as he showed up, I got close to skipping to the next episode. But I kept watching, and for some weird reason I didn't hate him. I didn't like him much, but I didn't hate him either. He was... ok. With some improvements, he could be an interesting character. He's very toned down from Episode 1 and much more likeable, but it's still him. If this version had been in Episode 1, I might have liked him there too.
Lemmy is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: