Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Authors > Terry Brooks

Terry Brooks The Shannara series et al

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 13th April 2006, 04:44 PM   #76 (permalink)

Re: Shannara Series

I've read the whole of the Shannara series, and it's quite a light and entertaining read, although after a while I sort of felt like I was reading a similar story to last time with only the names changed. There were only a few instances of this however and I thoroughly enjoyed the rest of the series. Though I definitely think Elfstones was the best of Shannara, followed by The Voyage Of The Jerle Shannara trilogy.
Frozeninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2006, 08:13 PM   #77 (permalink)
pixie druid

I found the Voyage of the Jerle Shannara very entertaining but found the last series very dull in comparsion
nixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2006, 08:16 PM   #78 (permalink)

Definitely agreed. The High Druid of Shannara series was nowhere near as good, and was generally a little disappointing. It had some good points, but overall was a bit lacking.
Old 14th April 2006, 02:20 AM   #79 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hosato
Has anyone read the prequel to the Shannara Series, First King of Shannara? It's really good! It explains how Allanon became a Druid as well as the origins of the Sword of Shannara.
Yep read them all. Lightish and pretty generic reads compared to other authors of the Gerne but certainly not the worst series I've ever read.

I'm looking forward to see how Brooks handles the next series of books on Shannara which will further develop what happened b/w our current time on Earth and the post-apocalyptic world of Shannara that will feature how the first Druid Council was formed, development of the various races etc...
GOLLUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2006, 04:18 AM   #80 (permalink)
Bobsnox

Are you referring to Armagedon Children? A member at one of my forums posted a preview cover for the first book in this upcoming series and he claims that this is the next part of Shannara.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozeninja
I've read the whole of the Shannara series, and it's quite a light and entertaining read, although after a while I sort of felt like I was reading a similar story to last time with only the names changed. There were only a few instances of this however and I thoroughly enjoyed the rest of the series. Though I definitely think Elfstones was the best of Shannara, followed by The Voyage Of The Jerle Shannara trilogy.
I think I agree with most of that. For many people I've talked to, the biggest issue with Shannara, especially in the beginning, is its close similarity to LOTR. The plots almost exactly match for most of The Sword of Shannara.

I love the Shannara books, but have been disappointed in the last trilogy and a half. High Druid just wasn't as good as I was hoping it would be.

My favorite character, if anybody cares, is probably Morgan Leah from The Heritage of Shannara. I've seen Morgan voted "Best Leah" and "Best character" before, and I concur.
Parsimony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2006, 02:50 PM   #81 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsimony
Are you referring to Armagedon Children? A member at one of my forums posted a preview cover for the first book in this upcoming series and he claims that this is the next part of Shannara.
Well your member friend is 100% correct.

It's defintely the first book in the pre-shanara series due end of August and takes place approx 80 years from our current time on an Earth domniated by pollution and warfare.

Terry will make a further announcement about the book and future trends in this pre-shannara series on May 1 via his website, so watch that space.
Old 22nd May 2006, 02:12 PM   #82 (permalink)

OK folks, the first book of the pre-shannara trilogy Armageddon's Children is being released end of August. Here's a blurb:

Logan Tom is doomed to remember the past and determined to rescue the future. Far behind him lies a boyhood cut violently short by his family's slaughter, when the forces of madness and hate swept our world after decadent excesses led to civilization's downfall. Somewhere ahead of him rests the only chance to beat back the minions of evil that are systematically killing and enslaving the last remnants of humanity. Navigating the scarred and poisoned landscape that once was America and guided by a powerful talisman, Logan has sworn an oath to seek out a remarkable being born of magic, possessed of untold abilities, and destined to lead the final fight against darkness.

Across the country, Angel Perez, herself a survivor of the malevolent, death-dealing forces combing the land, has also been chosen for an uncanny mission in the name of her ruined world's salvation. From the devastated streets of Los Angeles, she will journey to find a place—and a people—shrouded in mystery, celebrated in legend, and vital to the cause of humankind . . . even as a relentless foe follows close behind, bent on her extermination.

While in the nearly forsaken city of Seattle, a makeshift family of refugees has carved out a tenuous existence among the street gangs, mutants, and marauders fighting to stay alive against mounting odds—and something unspeakable that has come from the shadows in search of prey.

In time, all their paths will cross. Their common purpose will draw them together. Their courage and convictions will be tested and their fates will be decided, as their singular crusade begins: to take back, or lose forever, the only world they have.
Old 22nd May 2006, 04:23 PM   #83 (permalink)
Bobsnox

This is starting to remind me of Star Wars.
Parsimony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2006, 04:43 PM   #84 (permalink)

Interesting, the first thing I thought when I read this was that the landscape sounded almost like what would happen if the knights of the word failed in Brooks' "Word and the Void" series (well, with some differences). Seems as if we're going to get a nice break from the usual storylines, meaning this could be a very good book/series. Here's to hoping anyway. Nice job digging that up Gollum
Old 24th May 2006, 04:06 AM   #85 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozeninja
Interesting, the first thing I thought when I read this was that the landscape sounded almost like what would happen if the knights of the word failed in Brooks' "Word and the Void" series (well, with some differences). Seems as if we're going to get a nice break from the usual storylines, meaning this could be a very good book/series. Here's to hoping anyway. Nice job digging that up Gollum
Well it's part of Brook's atrempt to docmuent the fall of our world and fise of the Shannara landscape including establishment of the first druid council, rise of various races incl. elves, dwarfs etc....
Old 18th June 2006, 02:02 AM   #86 (permalink)
-sleepy-

Hello everyone, first post!

I must thank Terry Brooks Shannara series for introducing me to the fantasy genre about 4 years ago. I was attracted by the art (especially on "the Elfstones"). Now I have read the original trilogy, skipped out herritage, went straight onto the windship trilogy which I thoroughly enjoyed. He still is one of my favourite authors. I particularly enjoyed "The elfstones" of the books I have read. I have probably read the first 3 books 2 or 3 times and enjoyed them thoroughly. The windship trilogy was a nice twist which I enjoyed if a tad disappointed with its ending.

Alurny
Alurny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2006, 01:28 PM   #87 (permalink)

OK folks.

Terry has released Chapters 1 and 8 of Armageddon's Children with Chapter 12 due by the start of August, a month before the book is released in the US.

Here's a link to the chapter extracts...

http://www.terrybrooks.net/ac/ac.html
Old 8th July 2006, 08:27 PM   #88 (permalink)

he should write about panamon and keltset
Kaotic_Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2006, 01:30 PM   #89 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic_Writer
he should write about panamon and keltset
yea, that'd be great!
Barristan is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: