Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Film & TV > Featured TV Series > Stargate > Stargate SG-1 Time Line Chat > Stargate SG-1 Season 3

Stargate SG-1 Season 3 Forum for the discussion of Season 3 episodes. Use spoiler warnings if you\'re going to reference episodes from future seasons.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 5th October 2003, 07:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 21
Angry Just watched this Episode for the first time....

...and I have to say, that with the exception of the one brief moment in the infirmary, when Daniel is recalling a memory of Sha're and the pen story -- I was not at all in sympathy with Daniel. In fact, the manner in which he handled Sha're's loss was so disappointing that I has to wonder why the role was written as such.

I felt that Daniel's whining behaviors, his cruel anger towards Teal'c, his selfish minded actions in quiting SC1 created such disrespect for all that Sha're went through -- that he cheapened her death and her memory.

I had posted earlier, on another section of this site, that I believed that Daniel would never had joined SG1 if he hadn't had the need to go in search of Sha're -- that the greater good of the Universe/ of Earth was not his motivating factor-- and this Episode provied as much. And, at the end of the show, his return to SG1 was only motivated by a promise to Sha're -- of which he does not share the truth with Jack of the rest of the SG1 team.

Funny things is, I came away from watching the Episode really liking Sha're. While Teal'c said, if he had to do it over again, he was repeat the same actions. If I had a vote in the matter, I'd of said....save Sha're...zap Daniel!
:alienooh:
Goob'r55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2003, 04:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
WELCOME HOME, DR. JACKSON
 
Hatshepsut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Waltham, N.E.Lincolnshire, U.K.
Posts: 1,005
I'm guessing that you've never lost someone you've deeply loved? Actually, I'm guessing that you don't actually like Daniel all that much?

Here you seem to be criticizing him for not being upset enough about losing Sha're, yet in 'Thor's Hammer', you thought he was too obsessed with saving her.

Do you think it makes a difference that 'F.I.A.D.' is a dream sequence?

Best wishes,
Hatshepsut :wave:
--
Hatshepsut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2003, 07:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 21
I guess what I find the most annoying about "Daniel" in the world of Stargate, is his Schizoid personality-- or at least, that is how he seems to be betrayed by those who are obsessed with him in this Universe. Especially in fan fiction.

If somebody, like me, points out that Daniel behaves in anything less than a stellar mode-- Daniel-addicts jump to his rescue with every imaginable reason under the sun to explain away why he falls short of acting like a MAN -- or just a decent, reasonable human being.

When he defies Jack's orders -- well, he isn't a miltary man, so what can we expect.

When he gets himself and the others into trouble with his simple-minded behaviors- well, he's "child-like" -- and that's what makes him so darned cute and likeable....

When he loses sight of his responsibility to Jack and Teal'c (as he did in the Thor's Hammer episode) - the answer is, well, he's just a Archeologist in love, a husband desperate to find a way to help his poor wife....

And now, in this Episode, when his actions betray a real lack of character -- because if you step back and really look at the way he handles his grief, handles the loss of Sha're --- why, in fact, even her own Father must come to him more than once and rattle his cage -- you must admit that Daniel comes up lacking.

Why is it, in the Episode where Jack is reunited with his wife and his long dead son -- we can see his hurt and grief over Charlie's death so clearly -- and suffer his pain, and yet....come away from the experience respecting Jack even more than before?

I dare you to watch both of the shows back to back -- and then tell me than Daniel still stands the test in so stellar a fashion.

It is sad the Stargate Producers and writers are forever short changing the Character of Daniel on the show....

It is even sadder that most of the fan fiction writers out there caught the "bug" and have done nothing to build up Daniel's character -- if anything, most have made him more immmature, more selfish, more simple-minded -- for the sake of getting him into trouble, injuring him, having Jack rescue him, coddle him, cuddle him.....and that isn't even referring to the Slash sites!

So-- in answer to your response-- NO, I don't like Daniel. As I am watching the shows, now that I have bought the first 4 Box-sets of Stargate, I am TRYING to find something to like about him....but it just hasn't happened, as yet.
Goob'r55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2003, 10:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
WELCOME HOME, DR. JACKSON
 
Hatshepsut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Waltham, N.E.Lincolnshire, U.K.
Posts: 1,005
Quote:
Originally posted by Goob'r55
I guess what I find the most annoying about "Daniel" in the world of Stargate, is his Schizoid personality-- or at least, that is how he seems to be betrayed by those who are obsessed with him in this Universe. Especially in fan fiction.
Well, the scriptwriters certainly haven't done him any favours of recent years - wallpaper or what?!

"Especially in fan fiction."?

You must have had a few bad experiences there, because I'm really wondering what you've been reading. There is a vast amount of extremely well written, well thought out fan fiction on the web, written by intelligent mature writers who show a great deal more understanding of the characters than some writers who get paid for their work.

Quote:
If somebody, like me, points out that Daniel behaves in anything less than a stellar mode-- Daniel-addicts jump to his rescue with every imaginable reason under the sun to explain away why he falls short of acting like a MAN -- or just a decent, reasonable human being.
Well, I obviously don't know any "Daniel-addicts" then, because for all the fans I know, it's the imperfections of the characters - all of them - that makes them interesting.

For instance, season 4-6's SuperSam is exceedingly tedious. When is someone going to write her a really meaty episode when she is fallible? Even in 'Red Sky', she got away with it. She's a good strong character, yet she's almost always portrayed as either a mistress of all sciences, not just the theoretical astrophysics in which she has a doctorate, or she's the colonel's - or some doomed alien's - bit of fluff that the writers don't seem to know what to do with.

Quote:
[When he defies Jack's orders -- well, he isn't a miltary man, so what can we expect.
And when Jack defies Hammond's orders as in 'Scorched Earth'...?

Quote:
When he gets himself and the others into trouble with his simple-minded behaviors- well, he's "child-like" -- and that's what makes him so darned cute and likeable....
"Simple-minded"? "Cute"? Are we talking about the same person?

Quote:
When he loses sight of his responsibility to Jack and Teal'c (as he did in the Thor's Hammer episode) - the answer is, well, he's just a Archeologist in love, a husband desperate to find a way to help his poor wife....
More of an archaeologist with a responsibility to rescue his wife, I'd say.

Quote:
And now, in this Episode, when his actions betray a real lack of character -- because if you step back and really look at the way he handles his grief, handles the loss of Sha're --- why, in fact, even her own Father must come to him more than once and rattle his cage -- you must admit that Daniel comes up lacking.
Um, this is apparently a dream sequence which actually takes only a matter of seconds in real time.

Quote:
Why is it, in the Episode where Jack is reunited with his wife and his long dead son -- we can see his hurt and grief over Charlie's death so clearly -- and suffer his pain, and yet....come away from the experience respecting Jack even more than before?
Erm, that wasn't Jack. That was one of the Unity trying to help him.

Quote:
I dare you to watch both of the shows back to back -- and then tell me than Daniel still stands the test in so stellar a fashion.
<mode:Jack> Er... what? </m:J> Daniel never has been perfect if that's what you're trying to suggest. He'd wouldn't be nearly so popular if he were.

Quote:
It is sad the Stargate Producers and writers are forever short changing the Character of Daniel on the show....
Well, we certainly agree on that one!!! :lol:

Quote:
It is even sadder that most of the fan fiction writers out there caught the "bug" and have done nothing to build up Daniel's character -- if anything, most have made him more immmature, more selfish, more simple-minded -- for the sake of getting him into trouble, injuring him, having Jack rescue him, coddle him, cuddle him.....and that isn't even referring to the Slash sites!
I am really, really sorry you've had such bad experiences with fan fic. That being the case, I'm not surprised you've taken against Daniel. The sites I visit have no truck with that distorted view of Daniel. Frail wimpy Danny who needs help tying his shoe-laces is anathema.

Maybe you should try some of the slash sites. The stardard of writing and characterization is generally much higher. Oops, unless you're under 18, of course.

Quote:
So-- in answer to your response-- NO, I don't like Daniel. As I am watching the shows, now that I have bought the first 4 Box-sets of Stargate, I am TRYING to find something to like about him....but it just hasn't happened, as yet.
Actually, I've only ever found one person with a valid reason for not liking Daniel, and she's an archaeologist. She says he has no idea of archaeological method, and watching him hacking away at the strata overlying the mosaic round the D.H.D. in 'Learning Curve', I have to agree with her. That is really cringeworthy!

Anyhow, thanks for the discussion. It was interesting. Unfortunately, now Real Life calls...

Best wishes,
Hatshepsut :wave:
Hatshepsut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2003, 06:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Reetou Diplomatic Corp
 
PTeppic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: North-west UK
Posts: 3,859
Before one of the Moderators jumps in again, as they already have in one of the other season's groups: Goob'r55, there are already threads for the "general" discussion of each episode, like this one, and they prefer us (strongly) to use them. Not least because on both of your last examples you've not actually said which one you're talking about!!

It's possible you're pressing "New Thread" when you mean to press "Post Reply"??
PTeppic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2003, 05:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 21
Sorry

Though I had started a new thread. It is a confusing board, I guess.
Goob'r55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2003, 06:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 21
Dear Pteppic

I just reread your post:

First, I am new -- and leaving the site, as of today -- so I didn't quite understand how this place worked, however -- in how many episodes did Daniel's wife die?

I think my message was pretty clear, in what I mentioned, as to which episode I referred to. That I spoke negatively about Daniel seems to have been the issue that has brought out (again) the anger.

Second, as I just informed the Moderator about your message -- and informed the original Thread creator, I guess I didn't understand what a large Site like this was for. I had thought it was about people who wanted to come and exhange ideas and thoughts (however different those might be) about a great show like Stargate. I don't expect that everybody loves Teal'c or Jack as much as I do....so I wouldn't expect them to see them with the same enthusiam as I do -- and I can even understand if they would see negatives in both of them, and be able to discuss it.

But, this isn't my site....and there are already ground rules established that I didn't pick up on -- in my enthusiasm to be a part of it -- so I broke the rules and clearly ticked off some people.

So be it.

I gladly hand this part of the Stargate Universe back to all of you....enjoy.

I'll find another place to discuss the show, the episodes and the characters.

I learned long ago-- life is way toooo short to tolerate for these kinds of silly hassles.

Goob'r55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2003, 01:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Gwynedd
Posts: 3,586
I think it will be a pity to see you go so quickly after you found us Goob'r. Some of your posts, whilst perhaps a little close to the borderlines we set for tone, have never the less sparked some interesting and well argued discussions. Nor, from the posts that have appeared, are you alone in your opinions on topics such as the corniness of the plots, Jack, Daniel etc.

As P'Teppic observed we do prefer discussions to be linked to the thread for the episode. I haven't moved it because I am still trying to guess which episode this one belongs to.
ray gower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2003, 08:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
First Prime of Burgstrom
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Fredonia, NY
Posts: 275
I think Daniel's sort of strange, numb reaction to Sha're's death makes sense. He lost her 3 years ago, really. It's like when someone is kidnapped, and years later it turns out their dead. He has already sort of grieved, her death isn't a shock to him. So the way MS played it is pretty cool IMO. And although it's a dream sequence, I still think Daniel's behavior is in-charecter, becuase he doesn't KNOW it's a dream.
beckmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.