Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Authors > Tad Williams

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd June 2006, 04:43 AM   #61 (permalink)

Re: Tad Williams' "Shadowmarch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorseDude
Greetings from a confused fantasy and sci-fi fan. My brother gave me Tad William's "Shadowmarch" for Christmas, but not having heard of Tad Williams before I haven't started it yet. (mostly into Dragonlance). After reading this post, I am a bit confused. The copy I have contains three parts, Blood (part 1), Moonlight (Part 2) and Fire (Part 3). The back of the book mention the Shadowmarch Trilogy, so is Shadowmarch book 1 or the entire trilogy? (since it's three parts, I mean. And clocks in at about 830 pages plus appendix, which is quite a bit for book 1 of 3...)
No it's definitely Book 1 of 3 in his currrent trilogy. Book 2 Shadowplay is due early next year.

If you enjoy shadowmarch you're likely to enjoy his earlier completed trilogy Memomry, Sorrow and Thorn of whixh Book 1 is Dragnobone Chair as JD has mentioned. Recommended series.

For more of a science fantasy come alice in wonderland meets virtual reality EPIC I can also recommend his Otherland quartet of books.

Tad has real ability as both a writer and storyteller.
GOLLUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2006, 06:16 PM   #62 (permalink)
Last of the Windsong Clan

I personally absolutely loved Shadowmarch because of the interesting world that Tad created for it. I could find no real hero type to center the story around nor could I find the traditional enemy that seeks more power. I think my favorite character in that book had to be Chert.

Tad Williams is one of my favorite authors and as Gollum said the Memory, Sorrow, Thorn series is well worth the read.

I have read some of Otherland and having played the Massive Multiplayer Online Games on the internet I can see some day that type of media immersion experience becoming reality, or something very close to it. I would also recommend Otherland.

Rahl
Rahl Windsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2006, 02:19 PM   #63 (permalink)
Dodo Ffan

I just finished 'Shadowmarch' and enjoyed it very much. It has a bit of a slow start, but that didn't really bother me. Because of the thorough background the world becomes very believable. I liked the different storylines, and found the characters to be fleshed out well enough. In particular, I'm really curious to see what role Qinnitan will play in the story. Also, I liked the glimpse we see of the Rooftoppers and their culture. Hopefully, there will also be more about them in the next volumes.

Comparing it to M,S &T, I think I liked this book equally as much as 'Dragonbone chair'... but only when this series will finish, I can give a more definite comparison.
Kettricken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2006, 01:51 AM   #64 (permalink)

Wow, I reallly enjoyed Shadowmarch. Can't believe I missed this book for the best part of two years. Memory, Sorrow and Thorn is one of my favourite series so I was glad to see Tad return to proper fatasy, if that makes sense. No offence to the Otherland fans, but I could never really get into it.
lflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2006, 05:59 PM   #65 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahl Windsong
I personally absolutely loved Shadowmarch because of the interesting world that Tad created for it. I could find no real hero type to center the story around nor could I find the traditional enemy that seeks more power. I think my favorite character in that book had to be Chert.
I think Chert will eventually fall under the markings of a reluctant hero type character,dont you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahl
Tad Williams is one of my favorite authors and as Gollum said the Memory, Sorrow, Thorn series is well worth the read.
Agreed,certianly a top 10 for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahl
I have read some of Otherland and having played the Massive Multiplayer Online Games on the internet I can see some day that type of media immersion experience becoming reality, or something very close to it. I would also recommend Otherland.
Rahl
Once agian I agree on Otherland, great read.
genisis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2006, 04:20 PM   #66 (permalink)
Last of the Windsong Clan

In many ways you can think of the Otherland story as fantasy. I will not spoil it for anyone who wants to read it but the storyline really can not be anything but fantasy even though this story is told with technology representing the "magic". Does fantasy have to have a medieval setting? I think not, and Otherland really does prove that.

Rahl
Rahl Windsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 10:28 PM   #67 (permalink)
Canadian Girl

I am almost finished this book, and I am surprised I had never found it before. I scan for new T. Williams books at book stores quite regularly and it wasn't there. I just happened across the paperback at a local bookstore and grabbed it as soon as I saw it. Now, I am lucky enough to have a relatively short wait for the next in the series.. unlike the hell that GRR Martin has been putting me through.
Junomidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2007, 06:04 AM   #68 (permalink)

ShadowPlay has been out for a little while here already, but I'm yet to catch up on it.

Anyone read it yet?
Old 12th April 2007, 11:57 AM   #69 (permalink)
pixie druid

Me, Its pretty good better than Shadowmarch.
nixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2007, 11:05 PM   #70 (permalink)
The Wicked Sword Maiden

My copy is still on the to be read pile. Glad to hear it's better than Shadowmarch Nixie.
Rosemary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2007, 11:36 AM   #71 (permalink)

Thanks Nixie, I look forward to reading it then...
Old 4th April 2008, 01:25 PM   #72 (permalink)
Northern Monkey

I'm about 150 pages into Shadowmarchand not feeling compelled to pick it up again yet, though I am sure I will finish it at some point. I'm pleased to hear from people that the next one is better.
Tansy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2008, 12:16 PM   #73 (permalink)
www.visionscifi.com

Wink Re: Tad Williams' "Shadowmarch"

Hi all ,

Just started to read Shadowplay and I must admit I was not as excited as I should have been. I have been reading everything that Tad Williams has written and I have seldom been disappointed And why .. ? Mainly because of the ending i Shadowmarch and that I felt a bit indifferent about the characters.

But after I have read half the book I am more into the story and the characters are starting to evolve more. Becoming heroes or villains. The Bad are BAD and we even have a "greyish" character, thorn between good and evil doings (as we all are sometimes )

So I am not going to put the book down, yet !

Headmaster
HeadMaster@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2008, 06:15 AM   #74 (permalink)
Sar
Understanding

I love Shadowmarch and Shadowplay. Tad Williams creates many storylines that don't seem connected and then he slowly pulls them together. For me it makes for an interesting read because there is a diversity of characters and plots. For some people that might be frustrating though. I love them and can't wait for the next book in the series.
Sar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2009, 04:55 PM   #75 (permalink)

I started reading Shadowmarch last night. Normally im not really interested in multi characters,w several subplots High Fantasy series but i enjoyed my first Tad Williams book in The War of the Flowers so im reading Shadowmarch.

Slow at start and typical medevil fantasy world but i wanted to read TW and didnt have another choice of his other fantasy in the library.
Connavar is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: