Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Film & TV > Featured TV Series > Stargate > Stargate SG-1 Time Line Chat > Stargate SG-1 Season 7

Stargate SG-1 Season 7 Forum for the discussion of Season 7 episodes. Use spoiler warnings for all episodes because different parts of the world get the episodes at different times.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20th February 2004, 09:13 AM   #16 (permalink)
Keeper of the Gate

Well Hatshepsut, I may have liked the episode but after reading your little rambling....I think I'm totally with you.

Greetz
Falcon Horus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2004, 11:27 AM   #17 (permalink)
First Prime of Burgstrom

People die, expecially at the SGC. SG teams are ALWAYS getting killed in this show, yet none of the major charecters ever buy it? I think it's realistic to be killing people off, bringing in new charecters, ect. I guess for THIS show it's excusable that nobody dies though, it's a more light-hearted show.
beckmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2004, 02:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
WELCOME HOME, DR. JACKSON

Yes, it's realistic that people die, but not in this instance.

S.G.-13 should've legged it at the first sign of trouble, i.e. being shot at by the probe. Not to do so was to put others at risk besides the team. They weren't in a position at that time that they couldn't get out and needed rescuing, so that was bad command decision #1.

To send Janet into a combat zone was against S.O.P., and as such culpably stupid and bad command decision #2. No General of Hammond's experience would have done so. That was just totally unbelievable. :angryfire

The traditional fodder for getting wiped out is the 'red shirts' in whom one has no emotional investment. This is just a T.V. show, F.C.O.L. People watch it for escapist entertainment. Too many people have died for real in my life for me to find it in the least bit entertaining to watch characters I care about being sensely and inexcusably slaughtered. It's not clever and it's not funny.

Best wishes,
Hatshepsut :wave:

P.S. Hi, F.H. and greetz to you too.
--
Hatshepsut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2004, 07:02 AM   #19 (permalink)
First Prime of Burgstrom

Well, having actually seen the episode I can agree that Janet's death was a bit random. Most of the time in drama when someone dies it's at the hands of a recurring enemy, or to save the main charecters or something. But, I still think that it was a good episode with some powerful performances.

I liked it better than Heroes 1. I liked the way everyone was reacting, and Sam's crying/angry part when Saul was accosting her in the hallway was great.
Old 21st February 2004, 06:27 PM   #20 (permalink)
Wherever I Am, I'm There

Quote:
Originally posted by beckmen
Well, having actually seen the episode I can agree that Janet's death was a bit random. Most of the time in drama when someone dies it's at the hands of a recurring enemy, or to save the main charecters or something.
I think that the 'creators' were trying to make a moralistic point; that not all heroes are John Wayne, going out in a 'blaze of glory', but instead just normal people who risk their lives everyday, such as the 9/11 New York Firemen.

Hatshepsut has made a very forceful argument that they were "being sensely and inexcusably slaughtered" because of a "bad command decision" which tends not to make that point at all, but more like the one made by the Battle of the Somme and the Charge of the Light Brigade.

Somehow though, I think its very unlikely we'll see General Hammond face a courts martial.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2004, 06:49 PM   #21 (permalink)
Trivia Goddess

Location: topeka, ks, usa- 7 1/2 hours due east of Cheyenne Mountain
janet's death illustrates that not only can anyone die at any time...but also that heroes arent' always the obvious ones we think of...the guys on the front line or in obvoious danger...they can also be the operator at the other end of the 911 phone call that talks someone through cpr, or the person that gives blood every 8 weeks, or the crossing guard that makes sure the kids get across the street safely.

every single day there are thousands of folks that quietly save lives and they don't ever get to the front page of the paper or get to be on the news every night...they're just doing their jobs.

like sam said 'we're just doing our jobs'...and that's what janet was doing, her job
skydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2004, 12:11 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote from Dave:

"Somehow though, I think its very unlikely we'll see General Hammond face a courts martial. "

I'd be happy to settle for the writers being stood up against a wall and shot.

Best wishes,
--
Old 22nd February 2004, 12:37 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by skydiver
like sam said 'we're just doing our jobs'...and that's what janet was doing, her job
The point is that Janet wasn't doing her job, she was doing a combat medic's job. Her job is - sorry, was - Chief Medical Officer, which should have kept her on the base.

Remember M*A*S*H? They didn't go out into a combat zone; they waited for the choppers to ferry in the wounded.

S.O.P. is for combat medics to administer first aid, stabilize the more badly injured, insert drips, administer pain killers, etc., then stretcher them out.

That way, when you get them back to base, you have your Chief Medical Officer there to give them the expert treatment they require.

As it was, they could have had half a dozen or more critically injured personnel and only Dr. Warner - who might have had to be brought back from holiday - to treat them all.

The episode was badly researched and unbelievably crass. R.C.C. should stick to writing mystical episodes.

Best wishes,
--
Old 22nd February 2004, 08:46 PM   #24 (permalink)
Explorer

I didn't reallylike this episode (or Part I) either. First of all, that reporter was unbelievably annoying. And so much air time was wasted on him. I knew Jack wasn't going to die, because I've seen that old trick too many times where they make you think this one will die and then its really someone else. I kept thinking it was going to be Hammond. I have purposely stayed away from reading anything about future eps. So, if it wasn't Jack that was dead then the only clue I had was when someone said onscreen that it was "someone close to you". Then I knew it was going to be Janet because there was no one else it could be. I liked that the show was emotional, I even shed a tear or two. I'm going to miss her character. But I am happy that this 2-part bore-fest is over.
HeyLynny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2004, 01:05 PM   #25 (permalink)
Tok'Tau'ri High Commander

INFIDEL!
The episode was great. Your opinion is obviously invalid, and more importantly, WRONG!
I would have prefered Sams SUV driving fruitcake/stalker/homosexual but frightened to tell his family, boyfriend to have died.
RaTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2004, 12:45 AM   #26 (permalink)
Explorer

I know....I know. It's not like me to not like an episode. But this one was just too much of the non-core Stargate players for me.

I agree with you about the Sam's boyfriend dying part. Have we seen the last of him because he just sort of disappeared and no mention has been made of him since that ep? Interesting.
HeyLynny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2004, 09:59 PM   #27 (permalink)

I'm with Hatshepsut. I kept thinking "why are SG-13 hanging around, the goa'uld know they are there" in Part I, and I think Hammond sending Janet to a combat zone backed up by an archaeologist, was criminally stupid.
PrincessG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2004, 03:47 PM   #28 (permalink)
First Prime of Burgstrom

Ehhh...I can't agree. They are always doing stuff like this. It's a fiction show, so they take liberties. The events in this episode (Janet going into combat, SG-13 not bugging out at first sign of hostiles) don't seem atypical for this show.

PS: Just wait for Atlantis. I don't think they are even trying for a Air Force advisor, so it's probably going to be WAAAY out there.
Old 26th February 2004, 08:01 PM   #29 (permalink)

I'd certainly agree that cr@p plots and lack of research are not atypical for the current writing team.

As for 'Atlantis' - <shudder>

I really do find far better ideas and fewer clangers in fan fic. these days.

Best wishes,
Hatshepsut, the Unimpressed* :wave:

*Well, not favourably anyway... :dead:
--
Old 26th February 2004, 08:36 PM   #30 (permalink)
a WaNDeRiNG LiZaRD

I am actually quite surprised that the SGC hasn't assigned combat medics to each team yet; the military has them, so where are they for the SGC? I mean, it appears that the teams don't even really have members trained in basic medicine. I don't even see any of the off-world teams carrying first aid kits.

Rather, they either haul the person back through the gate (often unneccesary) or bring Janet through. Like Hatshepsut said, Janet was CMO; not a combat medic. It makes me wonder if she had even been carrying a gun or weapons, or exactly how close the other soldiers were standing and firing from. You'd think they'd put up a barrier around the wounded guy to protect him; I was really surprised when he was just lying around in the open with no one around and not even a hastily erected barrier. He should have been dead many times over if there were as many Jaffa around as were implied, just lying out in the open like that.
SilverCaladan is offline   Reply With Quote