Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Film & TV > Featured TV Series > Firefly > Firefly Character Discussions

Firefly Character Discussions A forum to discuss the the crew of Serenity, their friends and enemies, Browncoats, bounty hunters and Companions.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18th April 2003, 02:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fear is the mind killer.

Hoban 'Wash' Washburn (Caution! Spoilers!)

I didn't see a thread for Wash, like the rest of the characters so I thought I'd add one.

Quote:
Originally posted by ray gower
What makes the characters in Firefly tick?

The series finished before it got going, leaving a huge hole in what we know and understand about them. So there must be some good theories about them, so let's have some thoughts?
Let us have a go at Wash here?

At first I wasn’t a fan of Wash but after two episodes I really began to like his character. He has a way of balancing everything with humor, like BtVS’s Xander.

His relationship with Mal is always interesting. Mal didn’t seem to like him that much until War Stories, even though Wash didn’t seem to have an opinion one way or the other about the Captain. After Stories, though, they began to having a mutual respect for each other.

As I’ve said in the Zoe thread I really like the interaction between Wash and Zoe. They complement each other every well and Joss did a great job writing their scenes together.
Lonewolf89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2003, 02:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Save Angel!

Wash grew on me slowly but surely. I have to agree that when he says "Not a lot of people get me and Zoe" I had to agree, but the more I see how they interact, the more I get it. Kind of an "opposites attract" kind of thing.

My favourite moment with Wash is still the scene where he is playing with his dinosaurs - I think in "Serenity" or "Out of Gas". :lol:
Tabitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2004, 06:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wherever I Am, I'm There

Quote:
Originally posted by Tabitha
My favourite moment with Wash is still the scene where he is playing with his dinosaurs - I think in "Serenity" or "Out of Gas". :lol:
After the war scenes in Serenity Valley and the opeing credits, it is the very first scene in 'Serenity'. I must admit when I first saw that I thought "What?" I'm still not sure what it is meant to tell us about him.

I think there is still a story to tell in how Wash and Zoe got together. All we know is that 'the Captain got a pilot and Zoe got a husband' -- but does that mean 'love at first sight'. As you have said, they are so different that is unlikely.
Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2004, 07:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Random Guy

You remember in 'Out of Gas' where we see Wash for the first time with the ridiculous moustache? Zoe muttered to Mal about not liking something about Wash - I'm guessing that was the seed of their love right there. I agree with the dinosaurs being his best scene. I guess they're supposed to tell us he's the least serious member of the crew - or at least the most innocent (how that fits in with Kaylee, I don't know)

Just a thought,

Rik
Rik_the_Riff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2004, 09:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wherever I Am, I'm There

Quote:
Originally posted by Tabitha
My favourite moment with Wash is still the scene where he is playing with his dinosaurs - I think in "Serenity"
Did you notice the brief scene in "Bushwacked" when the Alliance officer is searching Wash's quarters? He finds one of his Dinosaurs (the blue one), looks at it, then throws it on the bed.

On the DVD extras, he does the 'Dinosaur' scene without props as his first audition for the show.
Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2004, 11:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Random Guy

So, Wash boils down to the dinosaurs? I guess that makes him.... old-fashioned, child-like etc. etc.

He's certainly a bit of a romantic. And a bit naive....

I reckon he's the Xander-to-be (I think it's fair to use Buffy archetypes when talking about Joss' other output); he was going to 'grow up' and become the solid one that everyone can rely on.

Just a thought,

Rik
Rik_the_Riff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2005, 10:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
It goes on.....

I liked Wash right from the dinosaurs scene, it was just so funny. And i think it was really needed after the scenes before it (that made more sense in my head!). But Wash continues to make us
laugh throughout the rest of the episodes too.

His interrogation in Bushwacked, especially compared to Zoe's "it's private" attitude

In War Stories -"Hey, I've been in a firefight before! Well, I was in a fire. Actually, I was fired from a fry-cook opportunity."

In Jaynestown his comment on Simon playing a character, something about "diabolical master of disguise" and later in the ballad with "we gotta go to the crappy town where i'm a hero".

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave

Did you notice the brief scene in "Bushwacked" when the Alliance officer is searching Wash's quarters? He finds one of his Dinosaurs (the blue one), looks at it, then throws it on the bed.

Lol, yeah. We see the other one a few times too. It's in the cockpit in The Message and Objects in Space. Strangely manages not to fall over
Maria8475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 12:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
1 Candlepower Brain

re: Hoban 'Wash' Washburn (Caution! Spoilers!)

The dinosaur scene tells you that if Wash were real he would be somewhere on these forums.
The Procrastinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 01:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
If you see a stranger...

I love Wash. He's fun, smart - well, smart-assed - brave, and not too testosteroned-up to let his girl be the strong one. That's a real man. Plus he just makes me laugh.
BookStop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 03:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
|-O-| (-O-) |-O-|

Yeah, i liked the relationship between Wash, Zoe and Mal. Even though Wash had some respect for his Captain, I always felt that he was jealous of the bond and closeness that Mal had with Zoe. I also liked the reversal in Wash's and Zoe's roles. Wash had a great sense of humour too. I was gutted when he was killed off.
Rodders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 12:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
1 Candlepower Brain

I rewatched the movie recently and am getting more and more narked about Wash getting killed off. Who the h*ll is going to balance Jayne now? Spells death to the series/movie to me, not only death to Wash. I can't see the dynamic working without him. But maybe I'm just having an angry. Grrr.
The Procrastinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 02:02 AM   #12 (permalink)
Sith Lord

Why did Wash have to die? I would much rather it'd have been Jayne. Or better yet, neither. The Shepard should have been the only major death.
THX-1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 03:16 AM   #13 (permalink)

No way. Jayne's great. I think, as a lesser reason, people might have read into it wrong with Joss bumping off just the preacher. As a more significant reason, while Book was, IMO, beloved, he wasn't strictly crew. I think it needed to hit closer and people (myself included) would have wanted to lynch Joss if he killed Kaylee. (I think the Doc would have been a fine candidate but that would have messed up the River/Doc situation. Zoe, Inara, and especially River are too significant, in their ways, to die unless the story is specifically about them.) And, just logistically, Book was dead kind of in the movie's middle of nowhere. Someone had to die in the more climactic region of the movie for dramatic purposes and to give extra teeth to the idea that all kinds of people might die in the final battle.

Besides, "only the good die young" - it couldn't have been Jayne.
J-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 04:53 AM   #14 (permalink)
Sith Lord

Agree to disagree, dude. I loved Wash. And it was torture the way they did it to, "I'm a leaf on the-"! Jayne was my least favorite character(which isn't to say I didn't like him).
THX-1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 05:03 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX-1138 View Post
Agree to disagree, dude.
Deal.
J-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote