Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Science fiction and fantasy > Obituaries

Obituaries The lives, careers, foibles and crimes of the good, the bad and the simply famous who shaped science fiction and fantasy.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th July 2004, 05:11 AM   #16 (permalink)
Super Moderator

re: Marlon Brando RIP

Quote:
The man called the greatest actor of all time has died.
Quote:

Hate to be the party pooper here, but in my opinion, James Dean was the greatest actor who ever lived. And he only lived to make three films. But what performances those were.

Now, having said that, this is the kind of hyperbole we hear whenever a public figure passes. I mean, the things they said about Ronald Reagan - practically made him a saint. And I don't mean by saying that I disagree about Brando being The Best, that he wasn't good. He was very, very good - when he acted; he didn't do much in his later years (although I liked his performance in "Don Juan DeMarco"). The fact that I'm not crazy about some of his films doesn't mean that I don't recognize his talent. It's like how I feel about "Raging Bull" - it was a great film, and DeNiro's performance was amazing, but I didn't like the film a bit. Same thing with "On the Waterfront". Great film. Hated it. Maybe it was the boxing thing.

On the other hand, "The Godfather" is one of my favorite films of all time, and IMO, Brando's performance was amazing. Very minimilistic, but amazing.
littlemissattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2004, 01:31 PM   #17 (permalink)
Science fiction fantasy

I (don't) hate to be a party pooper - but neither Brando nor Dean can be classed as the greatest actor who ever lived!!! That is so arrogant!!!

If you want to talk great: Sir Alec Guiness or Lord (Lawrence) Olivier were a damned sight better!!! Albert Finney was very good... What about Charlie Chaplin, Peter O'Toole, Kirk Douglas (Okay, forget Cactus Jack and Saturn 5), Ray Milland, James Stewart, Cary Grant???
The Master™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2004, 06:57 PM   #18 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Master™
I (don't) hate to be a party pooper - but neither Brando nor Dean can be classed as the greatest actor who ever lived!!! That is so arrogant!!!

If you want to talk great: Sir Alec Guiness or Lord (Lawrence) Olivier were a damned sight better!!! Albert Finney was very good... What about Charlie Chaplin, Peter O'Toole, Kirk Douglas (Okay, forget Cactus Jack and Saturn 5), Ray Milland, James Stewart, Cary Grant???
I'm not going to be drawn into this argument, as it is all a matter of opinion anyway. However, I will say that I have never, ever gotten the "Olivier was great" thing. In all the films I've seen him in, his acting seemed really wooden and artifical to me. Sorry if that's blasphemous or something, but that has been my observation.

And, just to explain my evaluation of James Dean as a great actor...he was, to all appearances, completely without inhibitions in front of the camera. I've never seen that in anyone else.
littlemissattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2004, 08:25 PM   #19 (permalink)
Science fiction fantasy

You are right, it is all a matter of perspective...

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree!!!
Old 6th July 2004, 09:02 PM   #20 (permalink)
Heretic

And what about the many brilliant and wonderful actors that never acted in American/British movies? I can think of people that would easily eclipse Brando in intensity as well as versatility. To regard any one actor as the greatest is sheer folly.
ravenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2004, 09:07 PM   #21 (permalink)
Science fiction fantasy

Having only ever watched English/American films - except for the occassional Asian offering shown on British TV, or Oriental offering on some "special evening" - I can only go with what I know... And usually with foreign movies, there are subtitles or dubbing, and I can't really enjoy them enough to remember actors or story-lines...
Old 6th July 2004, 09:22 PM   #22 (permalink)
Emperor!

Quote:
To regard any one actor as the greatest is sheer folly.
That's why I called him one of the greatest which is far from far-fetched.

And yes, you are right. I know of numerous norwegian, and other scandinavian actors whom are far superior to their mainstream counterparts.
Hypes is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: